6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Factory option spray-in bedliners???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:29 AM
Broughton
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory option spray-in bedliners???

I ordered the spray-in bedliner as a factory option. Can anyone verify that this is done prior to delivery to dealer?
I'm wondering if I am going to have to wait even longer to take delivery if this is something the dealer schedules locally.
My truck has been sitting in Shelbyville, KY for 7 days waiting for enough vehicles to make a load to Petersburg, VA railyard.
As I enter my 11 week, my patience wears thin and my backlog of projects grows.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:37 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The factory bed liner is sprayed in the truck in Kentucky. When you receive the truck, take a little extra time to spray out all the little flecks of metal that comes from the train ride. If you don't get them completely out, they leave little iron rust marks in the bed liner that are a pain to remove.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Broughton
Junior User
Thanks Epic!

You have been helpful to many here on the site.
We appreciate your efforts!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:39 AM
kluger
Senior User
My dealer ran the truck over to the local Line-X shop and had it back and ready for delivery by the next day. Line-X cures in minutes.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:26 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
They do warn not to put heavy or sharp payload on the line-x for 24 hours though.
That's what the line-x shop told me anyways. Makes sense.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:36 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
In the interest of full disclosure, I also had Line-X sprayed in after delivery. I was able to compare the factory spray and the Line-X seemed a little nicer. The Line-x is lifetime warranted and I had them put in an additive that makes the black pop and resists UV fading. I didn't mention that earlier because I'm sure the factory bed liner is just fine and is really convenient. No need to hassle with doing it yourself.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:34 PM
CA-F250
Junior User
It seemed to me that the factory liner was much thinner than a Line X type of liner.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:50 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Yeah, thickness per se was not really a concern to me. Systems like Rhino Liners use a cold-cure process that is very different than Line-X and (I think) the factory liner. The cold process sprays on very thick, almost a quarter inch and looks more like a rubber wet-suit. It's flexible and very comfortable if you're on your knees in the bed of the truck. But in my own research, I found that the cold cure processes were more prone to tears and discoloration due to UV exposure. They just aren't as durable as the thinner Line-X and factory installations. The hot processes can be walked on in seconds and are fully cured in less than 24 hours. I don't have a ton of time with my Line-X liner, but I can say it holds up extremely well to motorcycle ramps and gear. I haven't loaded gravel and probably never will but people say it's nearly indestructible.

Was the factory liner thinner than Line-X? Yeah, a little. I looked at it very closely. But I don't think it will make a difference in usability or durability. Ford is using the right process on the assembly line right now.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Line-X is the best, hands down. Also the most $$$. I have had it sprayed on the floors of our cargo trailers too. Holds up to anything, take a 1/2 inch bolt and place 1000 lbs. on it and the Line-X just springs back, never knew it was there. (I haul CT scanners on occasion, 2 tons sitting on 4 bolts).

Old 08-24-2010, 03:25 PM
boats313
Junior User
I had Line-x in my '99 for 8 years, I had one small spot that ripped from sharp heavy scrap metal being thrown in. I had dry concrete on it that power washed right off, paint came off, various chemicals and fuels.
I just priced getting my bed done with Line-x. $425 plus tax, $25 less than the factory liner. 8 years ago I paid $355 for a short bed to get done, just $70 more for a long bed now. I just need to find the time to get it done.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:15 PM
kdubinwa
Mountain Pass
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
EpicCowlick,

Did you go with black or color-tinted to match the adobe tan? Pics of the bed available? I've got the same color-combo in mind and wondered how each looked.

Last edited by kdubinwa; 08-24-2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Added Attn to
Old 08-24-2010, 05:22 PM
White Knight 2011
Junior User
Originally Posted by boats313
I just priced getting my bed done with Line-x. $425 plus tax, $25 less than the factory liner. 8 years ago I paid $355 for a short bed to get done, just $70 more for a long bed now. I just need to find the time to get it done.
I got the same deal at my Line-X location. The dealer would have done it for $450 but then I directly asked LIne-X for their dealership price. Got my truck on a Sunday afternoon and it was at Line-X first thing Monday morning. Make sure you ask for the dealership price or it will be $525.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:32 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I paid $397.40 out the door for my short bed to have line-x sprayed in.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:46 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by kdubinwa
EpicCowlick,

Did you go with black or color-tinted to match the adobe tan? Pics of the bed available? I've got the same color-combo in mind and wondered how each looked.
I went with the black liner. Too chicken to try a different color but I have seen others do it and it looks great. I'll try to remember to take a pic in the morning but I wouldn't expect much from a photograph. It won't look like much. You ought to find an installer and arrange to look at a recent application.

Mine was $425 but I added the extra additive that supposedly keeps the bedliner really black much longer by protecting from UV radiation. I am very happy with the product.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:18 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Line-X dealer sells this stuff:

Home | JustOnce.com

I really like it, works great on all black plastic and in a year I will use it on the Line-X. Makes it look brand new and lasts a few months.

Quick Reply: Factory option spray-in bedliners???