Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Posting Guru

SnuffthePunkz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well it goes up fast in the summer, and slow in the winter, if that means anything...
Ole' Blue - 1992 F-250HD 7.3L IDI diesel, Ext. Cab, Long Box, Dana 50 & Ford Sterling 10.25 axles. Soup bowl delete, K&N Air Filter, Straight piped, 397,000+ Km's and still roaring like a cougar. Dreaming about a 7.3L Excursion...
Old 11-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Posting Guru

greywynd is starting off with a positive reputation.
LOL!! Chances are you need to just take it apart, and freshen up the grease in the gearbox then. The old grease will be stiff in the cold weather, and if you use something that is more cold temp resistant (maybe a white lithium grease) it should be better. I always just use a general purpose grease, and know that they will be running a bit slower in winter.
1991 F250 4x4, E40D, N/A 7.3 Diesel, 'the runaway'
1989 F350 2wd C6 N/A 7.3 Diesel Dually w/flatbed dump, retired with a broken frame rail.
1988 F250 4x4 C6 N/A 6.9 Diesel, parts truck
Old 11-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Posting Guru

SnuffthePunkz is starting off with a positive reputation.
I figured it needed some maintenance, it's faster going up if I like pull on it while it's going up.... Always get chuckles from friends and families when doing it. Though summer smooth as silk. I have gen purpose grease i was using on my tie rods, will that work, or pick up something else?
Ole' Blue - 1992 F-250HD 7.3L IDI diesel, Ext. Cab, Long Box, Dana 50 & Ford Sterling 10.25 axles. Soup bowl delete, K&N Air Filter, Straight piped, 397,000+ Km's and still roaring like a cougar. Dreaming about a 7.3L Excursion...
Old 03-18-2013, 03:57 PM
New User

melgu is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey WarOzz - thanks for the pictures and info on the motor repair. Both of my electric windows decided to have troubles going up and down. Followed your detailed procedures and everything is working good now. I was getting ready to go with new motors when I found your message - good work - passenger side first - cleaned up old grease and plastic scrap, 6 1/4 nuts, new grease and going good - have to make certain no-one gets arms or neck in windows when going up.

"95 F350 7.3L, super cab, 2wd, dually, 122,225 miles

Last edited by melgu; 03-18-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: added truck information
Old 04-24-2013, 08:27 PM
New User

melgu is starting off with a positive reputation.
I replaced the disintegrated plastic thingies with 3 each 3/8" stainless steel ball bearings - works great.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:57 AM
New User

drs1023 is starting off with a positive reputation.
We're sort of a Ford family, and over the last year, I have replaced both electric motors and regulators in my '91 F-350 (7.3), 1 in my dad's '89 F-250 (7.3), and 1 in one son's '02 SportTrac. I have another one to install in my dad's passenger side this weekend.

At some point, I feel it's easier to just replace the entire assembly. I tried cleaning and lubing my driver's window a year ago. After the work, it still wouldn't raise the window consistently - too much drag on a 20+ year old motor. I've bought all the replacements from AM-Autoparts (eBay seller) - all for much less money than the local big box auto parts stores. And they seem to get cheaper every time I buy them. The first one was almost $60 complete, and the one I got in this week for dad's truck was $48 delivered.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Postmaster

mechelement has a good reputation on FTE.mechelement has a good reputation on FTE.mechelement has a good reputation on FTE.
I put two new assemblies in my '86 3 or so years ago and my driver's side started to be flaky when warm outside. If it had been parked in the sun all day, it took a couple of minutes driving to get it to work again. Now it won't work at all. I can hear draw when I engage the up or down switch, but nothing else. I'm not sure if I should bother pulling it apart, or just get a new assembly. Every time I snake my arm through that speaker hole to align the window motor, there's blood.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:10 PM
New User

drs1023 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechelement View Post
I put two new assemblies in my '86 3 or so years ago and my driver's side started to be flaky when warm outside. If it had been parked in the sun all day, it took a couple of minutes driving to get it to work again. Now it won't work at all. I can hear draw when I engage the up or down switch, but nothing else. I'm not sure if I should bother pulling it apart, or just get a new assembly. Every time I snake my arm through that speaker hole to align the window motor, there's blood.
I see what you mean. Another repair-another scar!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:40 AM
New User

kwiggs66 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up GREAT DETAIL! WORKS PERFECTLY!!!

I was looking into buying new regulator\motor assembly thinking that one or both were bad. Found this link and finished my driver door in less than an hour! Had to start work, so couldn't do the passenger side yet...but am looking forward to having two working windows again. The best part...I already had the Nuts, so it cost me NOTHING!!! Thanks!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Senior User

FordTruckfan89 is starting off with a positive reputation.
dusty.davis.731 Fordtruckfan89
Did this on my 89, used the dorman help plugs and some bearing grease, probably one of the easiest and cheapest fixes you can do. the PO butchered the inside of my passenger side door trying to get the old motor out, so I gotta fix that now. If someone wants to use nylon bushings, 1/2 diameter ones can be filed slightly and used just as well.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:40 PM
Senior User

bajafishnut is starting off with a positive reputation.
bajafishnut
Love this site, so much information.. My old '93 F250 4x4 just started with the driver's window slipping.. must be the pins... going to do the 1/4 in nut repair... Thanks for a great article, and fine photos...

Baja..
Old 07-23-2013, 01:53 AM
New User

enslow is starting off with a positive reputation.
This thread helped me with my 1994 Grand Marquis. I joined this forum just so I can share a small modification to the suggested repair. I was not comfortable using steel nuts in the plastic gear so I got the idea of using 1/4 inch nylon nuts instead. I threaded and tightened the two nuts onto a nylon bolt, then cut off the ends so I had just the two nuts with the bolt shaft inside. I used a small flame (Bic lighter) to somewhat melt them together (probably unnecessary). This all made assembly much easier, won't chew up the plastic, retains some of the safely feature (the plastic should break before it cuts an arm off), cheaper than Dorman, and doesn't need shaping if 1/2 inch nylon rod were used.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Postmaster

Chevy_Eater has a good reputation on FTE.Chevy_Eater has a good reputation on FTE.
Another FWIW, you obviously need to drill out those two holes for access to the two mounting bolts behind them, but there's no need to cut that slot on the right, there is plenty of room to easily get to that bolt with a hand wrench though the large access port.
1992 F350 CC dually 7.3L IDI, E40D Sold!

Quote:
Blaming the Prince of Fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their Prince!
Old 07-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Elder User

Macrobb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I should post pictures of my own. I just replaced my failing motor with another, slightly less failing unit(brushes are shot on both; got some on order).
Using an angle-grinder, I ground off the 3/4 rivet heads, knocked the rivet through. Once the whole assembly was loose, I wiggled it out the upper opening in the door(Note, you have to jam the window shut to get enough clearance).
I then proceeded to weld 3 1/4-20 nuts to the back of the bracket on the new window motor assy, wiggled it into place, reattached the window and bolted it back in.
Now, it;s easy to remove/replace; just take out a couple of bolts. No pesky rivets!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:45 PM
New User

JuanitaBee is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the info & instructions. I attempted this repair a couple of days ago on the passenger side of my '89 F-150. Sadly, I couldn't complete it because the plastic piece that the dowels go into was also broken, as was the plastic wheel that strikes against the dowels. I ended up putting in a used motor from the salvage yard, then discovered I could have bought the whole new gear assembly for $18 at Auto Zone. Much cheaper than buying a new motor & also cheaper than what I got from the salvage yard. They wouldn't sell me just the motor - I had to buy the whole assembly & then take the motor off. That was $25. Oh well, we live & learn. At least my window works again & I learned a lot from the experience.

FYI - I've had my truck since it was new & never had any problems with the windows until I tried using one of those solar window fans. The fan worked great but not being able to roll the window all the way up apparently triggered the safety feature. It's good to know the safety feature works, but I wish I'd known the fan would trigger it. My other window is still working great.

Last edited by JuanitaBee; 10-17-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 10-17-2013, 07:45 PM