Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Senior User

RUFFSTUFF is starting off with a positive reputation.
Because it's way outdated terminology that the old dogs won't let go of...
Old 11-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Senior User

I think we're going to have to send this one up to the booth... Instant replay is going to show that Crete is the only one with a lack of knowledge. Eating hubris tastes better with a little salt & pepper...
Old 11-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Senior User

Crete is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
I think we're going to have to send this one up to the booth... Instant replay is going to show that Crete is the only one with a lack of knowledge. Eating hubris tastes better with a little salt & pepper...
Really? Please show me where my lack of knowledge is? This is all big talk from someone who changes his story mid thread.

Like I previously said if you don't know your actual weight you don't know your payload.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crete View Post
Really? Please show me where my lack of knowledge is?
Sure.

Quote:
If you don't know the actual weight of your truck you can NOT or do NOT know the payload.
Apparently, your browser is incapable of displaying pictures. Too bad, posts #59 & 60 would help clear things up. And if you are going to get hung up on the actual to the pound weight, then tell me, how do you sleep at night knowing that even if you know the actual weight, the payload will still be based on the manufacturer's rating (GVWR) not an actual value that you can measure? Using your logic, the manufacturer's specified payload is a lie, and the GVWR (as provided by that same lying manufacturer) is the gospel. Yeah, right. My truck is stock except for vent visors, bugflector, AVH-P4100DVD head unit, a rear view camera, bedliner, tonneau cover and Nitto Terra Grappler tires. The tire and loading sticker works for me like I said.

Quote:
This is all big talk from someone who changes his story mid thread.
I'd rather be the person that can admit a mistake than be the person so blinded by his own ignorance...

Quote:
Your lack of knowledge of your own equipment makes your previous statements even more ridiculous.
Kettle, this is pot, you're black.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Postmaster

StanleyZ is a name known to allStanleyZ is a name known to allStanleyZ is a name known to allStanleyZ is a name known to allStanleyZ is a name known to allStanleyZ is a name known to all
Interesting sticker, That 5 USA number on the side is probably a refrence to federal legal code. I guess the numbers tell you where to find the cite. That worries me in that I've never seen it before and I sure don't trust this government. No one has ever cared much about what non-commerical trucks do and it needs to stay that way. I don't know what it means but I'm pretty sure I won't like it.

GONE NOW:2008 DRW CC deleted and tuned. Bullet proofed motor and built transmission, totaled by a drunk old woman. I miss it. 2001 F250 4X4, loaded with stuff and a great truck but my big 5er was just too much to handle for her.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Senior User

Ummm... it means the rated payload as delivered to the dealer. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Postmaster

StanleyZ is a name known to allStanleyZ is a name known to allStanleyZ is a name known to allStanleyZ is a name known to allStanleyZ is a name known to allStanleyZ is a name known to all
Quote:
Ummm... it means the rated payload as delivered to the dealer. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.
Yeah, you're probably right, I'm just a little paranoid given what's going on with EPA required emmision standards and announced coming MPG standards for 2014. They have done great harm to these trucks. Axle weight ratings are tire specific therefore they can be modified. I guess maybe payload is also. It just sort of bothers me that as much time as I spend on line and trying to keep up with these trucks that I've never even heard of "payload ratings" before. There are a lot of people who would like to see these "big" personal trucks gone from the highway and a lot of them are in positions of power in the government. The Hummer is gone, and I thnk the suburban is gone as is I guess the excursion, can big diesel pickups be far behind?

GONE NOW:2008 DRW CC deleted and tuned. Bullet proofed motor and built transmission, totaled by a drunk old woman. I miss it. 2001 F250 4X4, loaded with stuff and a great truck but my big 5er was just too much to handle for her.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Senior User

Ummm...again. So someone saves the consumer a simple math problem in determining the vehicle's payload and somehow that relates to the abolition of diesel trucks? I think we're safe on that. Besides diesel is one of the fuel solutions for the future. The US is so far behind on diesel vehicles on the highway mostly because we are so concerned about emissions. Hybrids certainly aren't the answer.

In the meantime, drive your truck as you see fit. Your DRW and even my F250 can handle quite a bit of load... I for one, am not going to worry one bit about every nickle and dime that subtracts from my payload. Maybe I will after I lose some of my own weight.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Senior User

freekyFX4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Here's my weight slip...

Click the image to open in full size.

2008 4x4 F250 FX4 Supercab 6.4L PSD
Toyo Open Country M/T 37x13.5x20 on stock rims - K5LA train horn - Warn HD winch bumper
Old 11-25-2010, 01:23 AM
Senior User

icrman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
mine(dually) says 4839

interesting.. how can mine be a 1 ton truck, when its allowed to carry almost 2.5tons?

sam
Like the one guy mentions its old terminology, kinda like a 2 1/2 ton 6x6 army truck, that will probably take 50,000 lbs.
Just like a 3/4 ton truck that will carry much more, gosh even a 1/2 ton will haul close to 1 ton.

What all you are forgetting, is there is the GVW classification that means
Gross Vehicle Weight, that is the vehicle and the payload. But when towing a trailer there is what is called GCW that is Gross Combination Weight, that is the GVW meaning the loaded vehicle pulling and the weight of the trailer. An old 1996 F250 is rated at 18,000 lbs GCW if memory serves. The hitch weight of course adds to the vehicle weight, and in doing so reduces the weight on the trailer axles, well sort of, depending on where the trailer load is positioned at.
In all actuallity the only real thing DOT cares about is the tire loading, that is, they allow so many hundreds of pounds for each inch of tire width, and that is why the duallys have a higher axle load rating, well yeah there is a manufacuters axle load rating but if you where to put an axle from a larger truck on your pickup that axle would be rated at 20,000 lbs. of course you would need the proper tires as well.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:40 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekyFX4 View Post
Here's my weight slip...

Why is your truck so heavy? Hopefully that's a loaded weight, otherwise, you only have about 800lbs to play with!!
Old 11-25-2010, 04:45 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by icrman View Post
Like the one guy mentions its old terminology, kinda like a 2 1/2 ton 6x6 army truck, that will probably take 50,000 lbs.
Just like a 3/4 ton truck that will carry much more, gosh even a 1/2 ton will haul close to 1 ton.

What all you are forgetting, is there is the GVW classification that means
Gross Vehicle Weight, that is the vehicle and the payload. But when towing a trailer there is what is called GCW that is Gross Combination Weight, that is the GVW meaning the loaded vehicle pulling and the weight of the trailer. An old 1996 F250 is rated at 18,000 lbs GCW if memory serves. The hitch weight of course adds to the vehicle weight, and in doing so reduces the weight on the trailer axles, well sort of, depending on where the trailer load is positioned at.
In all actuallity the only real thing DOT cares about is the tire loading, that is, they allow so many hundreds of pounds for each inch of tire width, and that is why the duallys have a higher axle load rating, well yeah there is a manufacuters axle load rating but if you where to put an axle from a larger truck on your pickup that axle would be rated at 20,000 lbs. of course you would need the proper tires as well.

I have still to see a vehicle where the GCWR = GVWR + towing rating. Apparently there's some magic pounds floating around out there... What's up with that?
Old 11-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Elder User

tgreening has a good reputation on FTE.tgreening has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
I have still to see a vehicle where the GCWR = GVWR + towing rating. Apparently there's some magic pounds floating around out there... What's up with that?

I'm guessing there "may" be, but it isn't a hard and fast rule if that is what someone is saying.

As an example, the fifth wheel tow rating for my truck is 20,000#. My GCWR is 29,000#. My GVWR on the other hand is 14,500#. You can't just add the two together and call it good. But, my truck weighs 9400#. Add that to my towed weight rating and it's pretty dang close to the GCWR.

That's because what's hauled, and what's towed, are two completely different things. Something else that a lot of folks fail to grasp. I can't drop 5000 # in the bed of my truck, and then hook up 20,000# worth of trailer. I'd be way over the rating.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Senior User

5tH wheel is a different animal altogether... though I'm not sure why. Conventional, I'm rated at 12,500... 5th wheel I'm rated at 15,800. Maybe it's the way the weight is distributed. I would think that proper use of WD bars would increase the conventional towing capacity, but there are so many variables in that setup as to make a rating impossible, whereas 5th wheel is fairly standard in setup.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Ummm...again. So someone saves the consumer a simple math problem in determining the vehicle's payload and somehow that relates to the abolition of diesel trucks? I think we're safe on that. Besides diesel is one of the fuel solutions for the future. The US is so far behind on diesel vehicles on the highway mostly because we are so concerned about emissions. Hybrids certainly aren't the answer.

In the meantime, drive your truck as you see fit. Your DRW and even my F250 can handle quite a bit of load... I for one, am not going to worry one bit about every nickle and dime that subtracts from my payload. Maybe I will after I lose some of my own weight.
Well yes, I have always made my weight decisions absent the axle ratings and used the tire ratings. But, I worked for the federal government for 40 years, the last 31 in DOT. I feel pretty safe saying that the new sticker is not there to save you or I some math work. But, to tell the truth I can't think of any other use unless it has something to do with the new MPG standards that are coming in 2014. You may be right and it is just there to aid the consumer in comparing vehicles. If so, good for the DOT because weight application is one of the most confusing and misunderstood parts of owning one of these trucks. I submit the current thread for proof of that. Have a nice Thanksgiving.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:32 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
08, 2008, 48ft, cdl, enclosed, f250, ford, hitch, king, max, pin, trailer, truck, weight, weights