1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Grinding sound when turning

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:16 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Grinding sound when turning

I got a sound that really sounds like a tire rubbing on the bumper or frame while turning, even though thats impossible.

It's not consistent either. really annoying.

I thought it was the clutches in the back, but I'm going against that theory now.

I felt the hubs after a drive, they are not hot. It's hard to tell for the inner bearing though, because of the brake's warming the hub up on the inside.
I cannot rock the tires, but I dont have a jack to jack it up and check.

Thoughts?

Old 08-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Gerbils...

Old 08-16-2010, 09:49 AM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not saying this is your issue but with my automatic hubs in the winter, they would lock up randomly sometimes and grind and pop when taking a sharp corner, pretty annoying. but ill take a guess and say wheel bearings. really need to get ahold of a jack and check it out to be sure

Old 08-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Yeah, I really don't want to do any bearings this week. It's already packed full of things and only hanging from a few threads and a hope and a prayer.

At least you finally got a REAL clutch steve.

Just wait till you get 1-2k on it. They really hook then.
I pulled mine out at 500 miles and it wasn't even broke in yet.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Did you get the kavlar/ceramic or c/c clutch William?

I'm still trying to decide which one to get for mine when I do the ZF5 swap. Or should I save up for the dual disc?

Old 08-16-2010, 10:07 AM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha well bearngs arent that bad, just time consuming which were all running low on these days.

yeah the new clutch is awesome, my slave cylinder is loosing pressure and am in need of a new one but it still had decent pressure, i have 480 miles on my clutch and it seems great. gave it a good romp last night with the new chip and only thing i dont like is the clutch doesn't grab all the way till your fully off the pedal, so i slipped it a few times by accident but came out like a bat outtahell from the boosted launch lol but im still taking it easy on her.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:31 AM
jchosler
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a grinding noise when I would turn right at higher speeds, it did turn out to be one of the hubs

Old 08-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by rideracelivemx7
haha well bearngs arent that bad, just time consuming which were all running low on these days.

yeah the new clutch is awesome, my slave cylinder is loosing pressure and am in need of a new one but it still had decent pressure, i have 480 miles on my clutch and it seems great. gave it a good romp last night with the new chip and only thing i dont like is the clutch doesn't grab all the way till your fully off the pedal, so i slipped it a few times by accident but came out like a bat outtahell from the boosted launch lol but im still taking it easy on her.
laf.
way to ignore the 500 mile break in. Thats there for a reason, so you don't glaze the surfaces over from overheating them. Hence why your clutch isn't' engaging all the way till your off the pedal.

Yeah, you can see my clutch in my sig. :P silly guys.

I'd avoid the dual disk, not needed unless you throwing big power, or they are just handing them out. =)

Old 08-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
So the ceramic/ceramic is pretty much a on/off no slip clutch... not good for towing.

kevlar/ceramic will let you slip it a little so better for towing

I just want it for daily driving, some towing, and occasional track time... kevlar/ceramic best?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
the kev/ceramic is rated at 550 HP.
Its smooth as silk, and boy does it hook.

Well, its choppy as hell for the first 1k miles before the ceramic gets broke in. Then its smooth as silk.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
awesome. Looks like I found my clutch...

Old 08-16-2010, 03:24 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, it looks like William talks to Valair a couple times, runs one of their clutches and knows all about clutches all of a sudden. LOL. Guys the full ceramic clutch is just fine to tow with. A dual disc is even nicer for towing... at 480 miles and just now getting on it isn't really going to hurt the clutch much if any IMO. I've ripped on both of my clutches before they were "broken in" and no problems. the clutch probably will slip until your all the way off the pedal or close to it.. Mine does it. Steve, like i told you before.. I really wouldn't be dropping off the clutch like your talking about yet, but it looks like you already did. It's ok to give it some go pedal, but don't think that b/c you have a good clutch that you cannot grenade it b/c you can. Once your around 500 miles though i'd say do whatever the heck you want to.

Will, check your downpipe for rubbing just for fun. When mine rubs it only rubs when i turn certain ways..

Old 08-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Nope. I dont know jack squat about clutches.

But I know if somebody gives you instructions on something, they generally are saying it for a reason, Thats all. =) And I know too much heat will cause the ceramic disks to explode. Thats what Dan tells me anyways. The theory as I understand it, is that the clutch creates more heat before its broken in. So by romping on it before the clutch is fully broke in allows the clutch to slip some, which is what you are trying to avoid.
It was all explained to me. I ask lots of questions. haha.

The Full ceramic should be towable like travis said.
They get better as they mature.

I'll check the DP, that could be it, but it sounds like a wheel bearing.
Thanks Travis.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:33 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ha haha ha

Originally Posted by Brown Falcon
Gerbils...

are you paying him back lol

Old 08-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Man its such a horrible sound. I sure the hell hope its my dp vibrating on the wall.

Quick Reply: Grinding sound when turning