6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2010 Pickuptrucks.com Heavy Duty Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 03:51 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
2010 Pickuptrucks.com Heavy Duty Shootout

Just found this posted on pickuptrucks.com. Interesting reading and thorough testing as always.

PickupTrucks.com Presents the 2010 Heavy-Duty Shootout - PickupTrucks.com News
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 08-16-2010, 04:59 AM
quicksilvers
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heres to another 3 years of us hearing duramax is the most capable and powerfull truck around!!!!!!!!! Booo ford. We cant even out perform a 10 year old platform? lost in fuel economy, except towing MPG barely, and 5/6 power tests . Yep, Im disappointed to say the least. Oh well, suppose we are used to it at this point, its been what? 6-7 years now fords been playing catch up?

Sorry for the negative Post, im just BUMMED!

Old 08-16-2010, 05:15 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
The test should be redone since Ford has increased the hp and torque as well as fuel economy.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:34 AM
roadkingfl
Elder User

Originally Posted by quicksilvers
Heres to another 3 years of us hearing duramax is the most capable and powerfull truck around!!!!!!!!! Booo ford. We cant even out perform a 10 year old platform? lost in fuel economy, except towing MPG barely, and 5/6 power tests . Yep, Im disappointed to say the least. Oh well, suppose we are used to it at this point, its been what? 6-7 years now fords been playing catch up?

Sorry for the negative Post, im just BUMMED!

Buddy look at it this way....Cheby has had 10 years to work on that platform, so that's the best they can do. Ford has just begun to work on their platform.

Tell my buddy how great Cheby is, he just got stranded (injectors) in SD on his way back to the Keys from Sturgis. I had a Duramax for 3 years, all kinds of injector problems.

FORD has got them by the short hairs!

Old 08-16-2010, 07:14 AM
Champ198
Elder User
I have to admit, It was very close for me as I have been considering both a 3500HD 6.6 SRW CC/SB and an F350 6.7 SRW CC/SB. After looking at all the things Ford offers that Chevy doesn't, in addition to the power and hauling capabilities, the Ford walked off and left Chevy on features. Chevy/GMC had to do something with their trucks because they knew Ford was coming after them in a big way.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:03 AM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Even they said that with the new 400/800 that the results would have been differant in the 3/4 tons.. The Ford won the 1 ton 7&16% Hill Climbs when it hooked up and thats with the 390 6.7 not the 400!

Old 08-16-2010, 08:24 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did not bother to read the article. I look at tests like these the same way I look at Consumer Report comparisons. Waste of time to read them.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:13 AM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
Well, I'm disappointed.
A clear winner - Chevy HD,Duramax/Allison!
New Fords 6.7?Reliable?Who knows....A dark side for me....
Duramax/Allison - a years proven engine,very powerful and reliable!
Ford have to think MORE about powertrain instead of this huge head lamps,4.2 display and gigantic plastic grill!
BUILD A GREAT,RELIABLE AND POWERFULL ENGINE!!!
THATS WAS ALWAYS A WEAK POINT IN FORD LINES.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by FordF350Superduty
Well, I'm disappointed.
A clear winner - Chevy HD,Duramax/Allison!
New Fords 6.7?Reliable?Who knows....A dark side for me....
Duramax/Allison - a years proven engine,very powerful and reliable!
Ford have to think MORE about powertrain instead of this huge head lamps,4.2 display and gigantic plastic grill!
BUILD A GREAT,RELIABLE AND POWERFULL ENGINE!!!
THATS WAS ALWAYS A WEAK POINT IN FORD LINES.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:37 AM
ecky
Freshman User
I really don't care about speed, but I do braking, handling, etc. One thing that has bothered me is that Ford claims all this payload but the trucks squat really bad. The GMs don't. And did anyone read the gasser section where it said the Chevy can tow 13,000 lbs without WD while the Ford/Ram can only tow 6,000. That has me really confused. Is that new GM chassis really that much stronger?

Old 08-16-2010, 10:44 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Who ends up selling more trucks every year?

Old 08-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
I also noticed where the GM trucks use alot more DEF than the Fords also,not to mention the LOW hanging tank behind the right front tire...

Old 08-16-2010, 12:08 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ecky
I really don't care about speed, but I do braking, handling, etc. One thing that has bothered me is that Ford claims all this payload but the trucks squat really bad. The GMs don't. And did anyone read the gasser section where it said the Chevy can tow 13,000 lbs without WD while the Ford/Ram can only tow 6,000. That has me really confused. Is that new GM chassis really that much stronger?
no.. its the hitch..

you can get an aftermarket to 1800/18000 lbs.. curtis or reese. just unbolt, rebolt..

but.. how MANY trucks bumper pull trailers over 6000lbs?
(in the total mix of trucks sold).. ford is saying most (in their surveys) are under 6k.. so, no point paying for the top end hitch across the total volume..

yes it makes the CUSTOMER choose.. but isn't that where it should be.... they say..

anyone know the WC/WD details of the new stock 14k hitch vs the prior 12k hitch?

Sam

Old 08-16-2010, 12:21 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, I got sucked into the abyss. After reading most of the drivel, I looked at the final numbers. There was a grand total of .97 of a point difference between the Ford and the GM after all that nonsense. There is also a statement in there that 20% of the test results were derived from a subjective position. This would put the Dodge within a margin of error with it's 89 points. What does this prove for anyone??? Absolutely nothing. Buy what you like and enjoy it. There is now not enough difference between the big 2 to matter. The Dodge is not far enough back for it to matter either. damn, I hate wasting my time....

Regards

Old 08-16-2010, 12:56 PM
jonmacs22
Junior User
Originally Posted by rickatic
Ok, I got sucked into the abyss. After reading most of the drivel, I looked at the final numbers. There was a grand total of .97 of a point difference between the Ford and the GM after all that nonsense. There is also a statement in there that 20% of the test results were derived from a subjective position. This would put the Dodge within a margin of error with it's 89 points. What does this prove for anyone??? Absolutely nothing. Buy what you like and enjoy it. There is now not enough difference between the big 2 to matter. The Dodge is not far enough back for it to matter either. damn, I hate wasting my time....

Regards
I find it interesting that you think you wasted your time. I have read so few automotive comparison articles that come close to the information presented in this one. It is truly impressive the data they put together, the facilities they had access to, and the use of a 3rd party impartial vendor for electronics.

Sure, the final scoring was quite close, but those numbers matter little when compared to the category level results. For instance, look at the braking category for the dually class, those numbers absolutely speak to me considering the loads I tow. Another example would be all of the comments about the wheel hop and traction issues with the Ford, those speak to me too; when I'm in my truck and I hit the skinny right pedal, I need the thing to move. Furthermore, when the wife drives the truck, I need to know that it is easy for her to handle as well.

So sure, the results were definitely close in many of the categories and the final total, but when can be learned by digging into some of the finer results is immense.

Quick Reply: 2010 Pickuptrucks.com Heavy Duty Shootout