Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

caught between getting a 2010 now or waiting

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 05:12 PM
94MustangGT
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of good points have been brought up.

Spring for a '10 with a tried and true mod motor and spend $ less up front. OR...

Wait for an '11, and save up some cash in the mean time.

Either way, enjoy what you have... It will be a great truck that you should be proud to own. You're driving yourself crazy trying to have the latest and greatest.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:58 PM
RL201
Junior User
I purchased this year because the 3 valve 5.4 is very tried and true. I cannot afford to be "first on the block" with anything.
As far as mpg goes, I did not spend any time considering this as I bought a truck for a reason, haul and carry. I chose my model and build based solely on its' ability to meet my needs.
Also, as I've said before, my beer and cigar bill alone is 10x my yearly gas bill so mpg was not a dominant factor in purchasing.
As many have said, the deals available right now (I got mine for $11k off sticker price) will not be around forever.
I don't need the 6.2 and I don't want the 5.0 as I don't want a car engine in my truck.

Just my thoughts.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:08 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by RL201
I purchased this year because the 3 valve 5.4 is very tried and true. I cannot afford to be "first on the block" with anything.
As far as mpg goes, I did not spend any time considering this as I bought a truck for a reason, haul and carry. I chose my model and build based solely on its' ability to meet my needs.
Also, as I've said before, my beer and cigar bill alone is 10x my yearly gas bill so mpg was not a dominant factor in purchasing.
As many have said, the deals available right now (I got mine for $11k off sticker price) will not be around forever.
I don't need the 6.2 and I don't want the 5.0 as I don't want a car engine in my truck.

Just my thoughts.
New trucks should have a 3 year/36k mile on the engine and power train so that doesn't worry me much. If it gives you too much trouble you can always lemon law it and get another.
The 5.0 put in the F150 is not the same as the one put in the Mustang. It is coming off of a different line in the Essex plant- it's specs and some parts will be different.

Enjoy your new ride and in a few months I will be enjoying mine. Only time will tell as to who made the right decision.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Crawgator
Freshman User
I bought mine 2 weeks ago. The deals are to good to pass up. Killer deals on trade-ins and almost $12000 off MSRP. I bet you the deals/rebates won't be anywhere near that on 2011. There will be new 2010's still around but I think selection will be limited.

I bought now to get what I wanted. The new 6 won't be great for towing IMO, the 6.2 will be a beast but it won't get any better mileage than the 5.4 if that. The 5.0 has promise but I don't think it will be any better for towing than the 5.4.

End result, you can't get great MPG and have a decent towing experience. You get one or the other with today's gas motors.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:01 AM
RL201
Junior User
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
New trucks should have a 3 year/36k mile on the engine and power train so that doesn't worry me much. If it gives you too much trouble you can always lemon law it and get another.
The 5.0 put in the F150 is not the same as the one put in the Mustang. It is coming off of a different line in the Essex plant- it's specs and some parts will be different.

Enjoy your new ride and in a few months I will be enjoying mine. Only time will tell as to who made the right decision.
What the hell are you talking about?
You quote my post as if to make some resounding message from above and then you neither support it nor discredit it but come up with some lame-crap of "only time will tell who made the right decision"?

Stop wasting peoples time and if you are going to quote someone, do it for a purpose. I LOVE my truck, I don't give a damn what you bought.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Scorpion67
Elder User
well ok then......

Old 08-10-2010, 05:38 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer

I don't think there is a right or wrong decision to be made here. It's a matter of preference. Truth be known, if I didn't have my X-plan, I'd take a 2010 leftover model with a 4.6L 3V and be happy as hell to get it. But, since I am fortunate enough to have the benefit, I'll wait so I can get the newest equipment available.

This is a place where we should urge people to buy Ford products and support their decisions to do so.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:01 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by RL201
What the hell are you talking about?
You quote my post as if to make some resounding message from above and then you neither support it nor discredit it but come up with some lame-crap of "only time will tell who made the right decision"?

Stop wasting peoples time and if you are going to quote someone, do it for a purpose. I LOVE my truck, I don't give a damn what you bought.
Stop wasting peoples time bragging that you spent 10x your gas money on beer and cigars. Nobody cares.

I suppose once you learn to read, you can go back and reread my post and learn that new trucks have a warranty and that the 5.0 isn't just a "car engine".

Maybe the cigar smoke and alcohol has affected your brain? Maybe that's why you think that I have a 2011 and they aren't even out yet.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:17 AM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
@ RL201, Ive read a lot of your posts and you come off as very bitter. Is there some type of issue you'd like to tell us about?

As far as deciding to buy now or wait, it's all about want vs need. I streched that when I bought mine back in Feb. I NEEDED a truck, but I WANTED an FX4 F150. Sure I could've got another Ranger, or even a cheaper trim STX or XLT, but I wanted it and could afford it. I WANTED a supercrew (and still do and will get one one day) but in the mean time a supercab will suit me just fine.

I too am one of those people that after I but something, a new model comes out and get a case of the "I GOTTA HAVE ITS". But I had to put that on the back burner and I am learning to happy with what I have.

So whats it about for you? Will the truck suit your needs, or will you be overwhelmed that theres another model outthere newer then yours? Will you save money now, or be happy in the long run? Keep in mind, if you bought a 2011 eventually Ford will come out with something new and fresher anyway.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:55 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by soundwave
@ RL201, Ive read a lot of your posts and you come off as very bitter. Is there some type of issue you'd like to tell us about?

As far as deciding to buy now or wait, it's all about want vs need. I streched that when I bought mine back in Feb. I NEEDED a truck, but I WANTED an FX4 F150. Sure I could've got another Ranger, or even a cheaper trim STX or XLT, but I wanted it and could afford it. I WANTED a supercrew (and still do and will get one one day) but in the mean time a supercab will suit me just fine.

I too am one of those people that after I but something, a new model comes out and get a case of the "I GOTTA HAVE ITS". But I had to put that on the back burner and I am learning to happy with what I have.

So whats it about for you? Will the truck suit your needs, or will you be overwhelmed that theres another model outthere newer then yours? Will you save money now, or be happy in the long run? Keep in mind, if you bought a 2011 eventually Ford will come out with something new and fresher anyway.
I sure as hell hope they change the current body style. I'm not a fan of it. I'm getting a 2011 as I need a truck but this has been my least favorite sheet metal of all the Ford trucks out there.

I still may end up with a 6.2L superduty.

I'm sorry to rant about this but I really dislike the black grill insert, I hate painted bumpers, and what I dislike most of all is that Ford has 9 different trim levels representing the F-150 alone. You can't get certain equipment on every model, not all paint colors are available in all trims and blah, blah, blah.

Ford does not build an F-150 that meets my wants 100%. I guess I'll have to find a Ford truck that comes closest to meeting my whims.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I sure as hell hope they change the current body style. I'm not a fan of it.
I hear ya......I was planning on buying a new truck this year......but now i'm waiting till 2013 or 14 when the next new body style comes out..

Old 08-10-2010, 10:15 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
I hear ya......I was planning on buying a new truck this year......but now i'm waiting till 2013 or 14 when the next new body style comes out..
I wish I had the luxury of waiting. I sold my '88 while I was still able to get some decent cash for it.

I'll be an empty nester in 2 years, no more waiting 10+ years between new trucks.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm glad I got my 07 when I did....it should hold me over till the new ones are out...

Old 08-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Lucius Vorenus
Junior User
Originally Posted by 3putt
WOW, thats a tough decision and IMO, a crystal ball is needed for this one. The new 6.2 V8(two plugs per cylinder) is projected to be the cat's meow with both power and great gas mileage. That said, one can buy a hell of a lot of gas for the big discounts Ford is currently offering for the F150's.
This was my exact rationale for buying a new F150 a couple weeks ago. Say they raise the MPG 2-3mpg, it's still gonna cost at least $5k more than I paid with all the current discounts.

At that price difference, I dont really mind getting 21mpg on the highway and 15 in town!

I also get better than X-plan on any vehicles I buy due to my wifes job.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:09 PM
RL201
Junior User
Johndeerefarmer;
I appoligize for coming across so aggressively.
This forum is an opportunity to assist each other and everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Fact is, I had no real sense of the matter what yours was or why you even bothered quoting me.
I could have made this fact known without turning wolverine though.
Well, I won't high-jack the thread over this, just letting you know.
Best to ya.

Quick Reply: caught between getting a 2010 now or waiting