Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 12:16 PM
mrbdmorris
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty happy that the guy at O'Reilly was knowledgable. A direct replacement 110 amp would've been $180, but one for an "early" 2005 6.0 at 140 amps was almost $50 cheaper. Bolted right in, no mods necessary!

Old 08-01-2015, 02:29 PM
"Phatman"
Senior User
Flushed power steering fluid today. Easiest maintenance every. Will probably give him a bath in a little while.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:19 PM
X-ford
Freshman User

Started my first mod today, removed the grille to repaint, it is drying right now - this is the before pic

Old 08-01-2015, 11:44 PM
mikenamys
Senior User
Tinted my big side windows. May tackle the rear doors tomorrow...

Old 08-02-2015, 12:23 AM
JIMBO_FID
Senior User
So on Friday I was at the wreckers getting the plastics glides for head rests (I'm starting the 3rd row head rest install) and when I was grabbing parts from a 97 Expedition I noticed something rather interesting in regards to the boards are on the back of the second row (they cover the foot well for the third row when seats are down). In our Ex's we have that silly Velcro which holds the boards up and mine is on its way out and the board is starting to randomly fall. On the old Expeditions, there is a locking clip which keeps the boards up and out of the way. What a great idea, why do it on an older vehicle and not keep that idea moving forward?

The hardware I got was all grey and I have the Eddie Bauer interior so today I cleaned the parts up and sprayed them all flat back. With the parts painted and ready I started to do the install and yet again to my surprise, the boards in my Ex already have the dimple in the plastic for where these parts are suppose to go. Once I figured out how to get the plastic cut, it was just a matter of cutting the carpet, pushing the front and back of the button together, then mounting the locking plate on the back of the seat. The look in the end is very clean and much better than the silly fabric.

Here is what the board looks like when the carpet is slid off. A nice dimple was hiding behind the carpet.

I used a step bit to get the process going, followed up with a dremel bit to do the cutting.

I trimmed off the old velcro and this is what it looks like all done.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:10 AM
ZaXcursion
Junior User
Redhead steering box replaced very recent Cardone box I picked up locally about a month ago in an attempt to save money, ($300 vs. $90) and I can tell you there is an immediate difference. The redhead is tight and smooth, no sticky spots, truck holds its line much better. Still going to proceed with a V/B swap for towing my 8K+ pound trailer. From what I've read here that should banish the wander once and for all. Looking for the best price on OEM springs.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:35 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Back to NC! Laid off from my job in PA for 6 weeks, then on to Ohio for a while.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:49 AM
X-ford
Freshman User
Originally Posted by X-ford

Started my first mod today, removed the grille to repaint, it is drying right now - this is the before pic
Put the grille on this morning after letting it dry overnight :

Old 08-02-2015, 10:59 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by X-ford
Put the grille on this morning after letting it dry overnight :

A+, very nice and clean look

Old 08-02-2015, 11:01 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JIMBO_FID
So on Friday I was at the wreckers getting the plastics glides for head rests (I'm starting the 3rd row head rest install) and when I was grabbing parts from a 97 Expedition I noticed something rather interesting in regards to the boards are on the back of the second row (they cover the foot well for the third row when seats are down). In our Ex's we have that silly Velcro which holds the boards up and mine is on its way out and the board is starting to randomly fall. On the old Expeditions, there is a locking clip which keeps the boards up and out of the way. What a great idea, why do it on an older vehicle and not keep that idea moving forward?

The hardware I got was all grey and I have the Eddie Bauer interior so today I cleaned the parts up and sprayed them all flat back. With the parts painted and ready I started to do the install and yet again to my surprise, the boards in my Ex already have the dimple in the plastic for where these parts are suppose to go. Once I figured out how to get the plastic cut, it was just a matter of cutting the carpet, pushing the front and back of the button together, then mounting the locking plate on the back of the seat. The look in the end is very clean and much better than the silly fabric.
I want to do the same - excellent mod!

Old 08-02-2015, 11:29 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
My wife is driving the EX 700 miles round trip to purchase a new
2015 Yamaha viking vi special edition 6 seater side by side.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Went on a 800 car+ cruise yesterday with my brother. Unfortunately half way threw something in the valve train gave it up so we had to trailer it home. It my be a broken valve spring again. The springs he has to use only have like a two year life span. In fact the manufacturer says they should be changed every year.

Name:  HtRmezS.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  673.5 KB

Old 08-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
Safelite will be at my house on Wed to replace the cracked windshield.

I feel for you salt belt guys, I bought a used part for my Pontiac Vibe and the yard was in Iowa. I went to install it and found a bent bracket. I went to change the bracket with the one being replaced and the bolts snapped. I drilled and tapped the holes to fix the problem. Rusty stuff is a pain! No wonder your cars and trucks fall apart.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:01 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Name:  HtRmezS.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  673.5 KB[/QUOTE]

Excellent '67

Old 08-02-2015, 04:10 PM
JIMBO_FID
Senior User
Completed the 3rd row head rest today. Just waiting for the colour matched leather to arrive so I can replace the grey.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?