VetNet A forum dedicated to ALL Veterans... their unique needs and wants. A place where Veterans old and new can discuss their problems and find the help and support they are looking for.

A veterans rant/vent, whatever you wanna call it

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 03:05 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A veterans rant/vent, whatever you wanna call it

Alright so, I have been home for about a year from OEF (I'm an infantryman), first got home and didn't have many issues except for being startled easily and jumpiness. Those things have mostly passed, and been replaced with irritability, anger, and complete frustration along with nice little headaches that last throughout the day. I don't deal with stupidiy easily, like most people. Except I now have the tendency to put it into words, whether right or not. This leads to my vent/confusion on what to do.

I am in college right now and working 2 part time jobs. One job is a ranch, which I love and work for a great guy. In return I work my rear off for him and make sure he wont be dissapointed in me. Doesn't double check me or question me, tells me what I need to do and I do it. If I have questions I ask. It's that simple.

2nd job is a big chain store, you all know it but I won't say it. All I'll say is its blue, and pretty much runs many small businesses into the ground. Rhymes with small fart.

I think I subconsciously want to be fired. Everyone tells me to quit, but I just don't like quiting, doesn't sound right to me unless I get another job lined up (which I'm looking for). All the managers know what I think of them, whether good or bad. I've been called to the office on numerous occasions for talking back. I don't consider it talking back, I considered it "informing"

For instance, one night we were pulling freight, and we have deadlines for the most part. One manager who can irritate me just by the sight of his face and whom I have no respect for because he is extremely lazy, came in and told us to hurry up. At that point in time, we were ahead of schedule by about 40 minutes and our only option then would of been to RUN with the freight, yeah...no. This type of thing happens all the time. I dont expect to be rewarded when we are meeting or surpassing the standard set forth, but I dont expect to be complained at. I would be very happy if they didnt say a word when we were doing well.

So, I "inform" him, "You come in here often, tell us to hurry up, but offer no solution. Coming in here and pulling us aside to tell us to work faster is counter-productive. SO, when were AHEAD of schedule, dont come in here telling us to hurry. If you're that damned worried about it, there's an extra pallet jack RIGHT there, feel free to use it."

What followed was valuable office time.....

This place is so frustrating.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:39 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless you're going to starve if you quit, I say quit. I can't imagine working at a place I loathe so much....and for people I have no respect for.

BUT......You're not being a 'quitter'........

You're walking away.

See the difference? To be a 'quitter', 'quitting' would have the result of letting yourself down....or letting down others for whom you DO care. Now. Question. Would 'walking away from' the 'Small-Fart' store do either of these things?

Sounds to me like you're letting yourself down if you stay.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Charlie Bravo
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 1988 I laid my shop keys on the table and left a company that was ever increasing my aggravation. I work for me now and I don't complain about going to work. When you walk out of that place for your last employed time there, you will enjoy happiness. Best, CB

Old 08-05-2010, 04:35 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I've quit a lot of jobs because of bad management, low pay, and other reasons. My time is simply too valuable to waste on people who don't understand or appreciate the kind of work that I do.

The only person you have to answer to is you. You don't have to justify quitting a job to anyone. If you leave because you're unhappy, underpaid, and underappreciated, no one will ever hold it against you.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While I have no objections to anyone quitting, or walking away from, a small fart (hmm... nah, I won't re-word that), you may want to check your unemployment laws - around here, you'll be denied for unemployment if you've quit a job within 5-years - you have to lose your job involuntarily - not sure if the same applies where you are...

I ran into a similar situation after I got out of the USMC - found myself working at a Pizza Hut for a manager who was incorrigible... He finally fired me after I challenged him to a fight out in the parking lot...

Old 08-05-2010, 05:12 PM
first today
Postmaster

I worked for those type of people for nine long years at a large grocery chain.They kept trying to make me a manager. I resisted and then finally succumbed. I hated that job. The best thing I ever did was walk away to do the work I wanted. They used to call me at home on my days off to come in. They would threaten to write you up. They never wanted you to have overtime, but did expect you to put in more than forty hours. Even the part timers are married to the chain. You have to work all holidays and no weekends off also. When you close the store at night, you are right back to open in the morning.

I can tell you now, that to keep your sanity and somewhat personal life, leave and do not go back. Since you are in school, look for a part time route. Many people are looking for someone to go and rotate their bread at other stores, or deliver uniforms to jobsites. Their are much better things to do than worry about if that mart store is gonna stay afloat.

I am glad you are back and unharmed. Good luck with your future.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:15 PM
brd7666
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like you are still somewhat young. I will tell you that as long as you work for someone else there will be something you don't like. It has, and will always be that way. A boss told me that the only perfect business is the one that you own yourself. So, all I can say is do what you gotta do, and good luck.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:25 PM
websthes
Postmaster
Next time your boss tells you to hurry up smack him in the face. Then tell him you were in the war and he needs to show you a little respect.

I'll bet it works, and if it doesn't, you can always tell the cops you thought he was a terrorist.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:43 PM
websthes
Postmaster
In the town of Jonquiere, Quebec, the employees at the local Wal Mart voted to unionize. This was the first Wal Mart in Canada to vote to unionize and Wal Mart wasn't happy about it. So instead of going through the certification process, Wal Mart closed the store.

Now the town of Jonquiere doesn't have a Wal Mart store. And they lived happily ever after.

The end.

Moral of the story? Unions are o.k. Even when they put corrupt, hypocritical employers out of business.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:52 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't think an assault charge is going to help his situation.

But, he could go buy the "boss" a candy bar. Go up to him in plain sight, but out of earshot, of others....and offer the dummy the candy bar while softly telling him that if he jacks with him any more he will cut his (fill in the blank) open and shove his (be creative) up his *** so he will have something to chew on since his head is stuck up there all the time anyway.

Then pat him on the back. Smile and walk away.

All the witnesses can attest to is a happy exchange of a peace offering.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:14 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Somebody rep KW for me. That made me laugh.

As for dealing with the small fart, just continue to speak your mind, but do it diplomatically. Be nice about it and don't use profanity. Keep your work ethic up in the meantime, and look for another job. That way, whatever happens in the end, your conscience is clear.

Jason

Old 08-05-2010, 06:26 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by wezol5484
For instance, one night we were pulling freight, and we have deadlines for the most part. One manager who can irritate me just by the sight of his face and whom I have no respect for because he is extremely lazy, came in and told us to hurry up. At that point in time, we were ahead of schedule by about 40 minutes and our only option then would of been to RUN with the freight, yeah...no. This type of thing happens all the time. I dont expect to be rewarded when we are meeting or surpassing the standard set forth, but I dont expect to be complained at. I would be very happy if they didnt say a word when we were doing well.

So, I "inform" him, "You come in here often, tell us to hurry up, but offer no solution. Coming in here and pulling us aside to tell us to work faster is counter-productive. SO, when were AHEAD of schedule, dont come in here telling us to hurry. If you're that damned worried about it, there's an extra pallet jack RIGHT there, feel free to use it."

What followed was valuable office time.....
Wow! A lot of immature people here offering advice.

If you don't enjoy working at something/someplace, the mature thing to do is leave. No griping, no mouthing off, no violence, just submit your resignation and don't burn any bridges. If you can't afford to quit, that's a personal problem you need to resolve.

But be advised. Any place you work is going to have people you don't like or respect. You will be expected to show them respect, whether you have respect or not. You may find yourself working under supervisors who are far younger than you, and may not know a fraction of what you know. The rules don't change.

A manager has every right to say "hurry up" to his crew. In the situation you gave, he probaby won't even notice or care whether you actually hurry up or not. It's just his style to crack the whip. So what? Shut up and do your job, or submit your resignation.

You wouldn't get "valuable office time" a second time in my office. If you wanted to be fired you would get your wish.

You of all people should relate. You are a vet. You followed orders and didn't mouth off, even if the Sgt was an ***. Employment really isn't much different.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:47 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Sir, i will add this. First off, thank you for your service and I trust that your bout with PTSD becomes more manageable in the very near future.

Do not let that control your actions whether verbal or physical.

Your sense of loyalty comes from being a military man with pride, work ethic and some very strict core values.

Save the loyalty for your family, the military, yourself and what ever career you end up in.

If you can't work for this company or this man, then do all parties involved a favor and submit your two weeks notice.

You've seen and done things that most people only read about, let that be your guide post.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:55 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Somebody give Keith and Tim some rep points for me, please!!!

The rep police say that I have to spread it around.

wezol5484,

Please take what kw5413 (Keith) and tseekins (Tim) said and use that advise.
Two very wise men, there.

And I want to Thank You for your service to this GREAT country that we call "Home".
I mean that, sincerely.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:36 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
Wow! A lot of immature people here offering advice.
Oh, lighten up.

Quick Reply: A veterans rant/vent, whatever you wanna call it