Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

my latest project: red digital gauges

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 07:09 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would use the lower port so you can keep your stock gauge just for fun. I believe it's 1/8 npt but cant remember off the top of my head, when I go back out to the shop in a bit I will grab my old one and see what the threads are for sure.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:52 PM
elinmon1976
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did you get your pillar gauge pods?

Old 08-07-2010, 09:59 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey f250 what size threads were the transmission port that coalroller showed? this is if you decided to put your sending unit there, I got a cheap gauge to see how hot my transmission is

Old 08-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by powerstroker100
hey f250 what size threads were the transmission port that coalroller showed? this is if you decided to put your sending unit there, I got a cheap gauge to see how hot my transmission is
i wanna say it was 1/4 20 but cant remember for sure

Old 08-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
Coalroller,
thanks man! my sending unit screwed right in.
i now have a tranny gauge.
no problem man, anytime, im just glad i could help and it all worked out for ya!

Old 08-08-2010, 12:02 AM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Coalroller
i wanna say it was 1/4 20 but cant remember for sure
crap looking at it right now it looks to be 3/8" or something close figures my smallest adapter is a 1/2" looks like I'm heading to the plumbing section in home depot must try my hardest NOT to stray to the powertool section

Old 08-08-2010, 01:35 AM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
by the way can anyone 100% verify the threading on that transmission port, it looks to be somewhere around 3/8" or 5/16"

Old 08-08-2010, 06:15 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by elinmon1976
Where did you get your pillar gauge pods?
i grabbed my glowshift triple pillar pod directly from glowsift via ebay w/free shipping.
my digital gauges i got from race-mart.com (which came shipped directly from Cyberdyne.)

powerstroker,
yeah just using a tape measure briefly that's what i think i is too;3/8.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
i went and looked at it again, sorry powerstroker yeah its 3/8 but i dnt remember the thread pitch sorry bout that

Old 08-08-2010, 08:47 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Coalroller
no problem man, anytime, im just glad i could help and it all worked out for ya!
hey i was just researching this port a little bit and i see this:

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I like the temp sensor in the pressure port in the driver's side of the trans.
-Former Ford automatic transmission engineer, 1988-2007.

now im trying to find what i need for max temp here so i can set my gauge to scroll at me so it grabs my attention when/if it ever gets to hot.

did i tell you guys how much i love this site.freaking priceless.
thanks again.

im also seeing some prefer to install it in the line out before the cooler to read max temps.but im not sure what to buy to hold the sensor?
that seems to be a good idea perhaps latter once i get all 3 of these working.im all for getting a reading at the hottest points to keep track of fluid breakdown.
i do plan on going synthetic trans fluid latter too which no doubt will be more resistant to heat breakdown.

it looks like i'll want to set my warning @ 195 based on this:

but id like to know how many degree's difference there is between using this port and the trans out to cooler line.maybe i should set it to warn @ 185 degree's or something using this port?
i would "guess" this port reads pretty much the same as in the pan would,so using this chart would be pretty close or?

Old 08-08-2010, 09:37 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by WarOzz
I would use the lower port so you can keep your stock gauge just for fun. I believe it's 1/8 npt but cant remember off the top of my head, when I go back out to the shop in a bit I will grab my old one and see what the threads are for sure.
really that small?
it looks much larger than my temp sender.it would fall right into the hole if i tried it.
im trying to figure out what size adapters i need.that thing looks pretty big,like 1/2 or something(temp light switch.)
even that smaller left/temp gauge sending unit port is larger than my sending units threads.
i like the idea of using this port too(temp light switch) simply because its easier to get to lol.

i wounder if the temp light switch is the same size as the oil pressure sending unit too?

i can run to home depot and unscrew the oil pressure sending and take it in with me,and bring my sending units.but i won't be able to unscrew that coolant light sender because it will be pressurized right?
so im kinda stuck home until i know what to get lol.im hoping to have these in today.
edit,ah well im gunna going cus iv no idea who or when anyone will be available online to tell me on a Sunday.its gunna be a trial and error guess i think lol.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:44 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
good thing i just went.

can someone tell me if i should or shouldn't use teflon tape on the brass adapters i got?

my sending units are 1/4 and the stock oil pressure sending unit is 1/8.

i think the temp gauge sending unit is 1/8 also.i'll know soon enough.

my trans temp hung around 165-170 using the port on the trans.
my memory button shows a peak of 173.
i was running empty on hilly terrain.so this looks cool.
i grabbed a T and fittings i think that will work to plug the sending unit into the line out too.
i also grabbed some goods to rig up my home made cowl induction.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:54 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
wow everyone's still at church.good to see you boys are all Christen's.
i feel bad for not going now lol.
seriously though.im making out ok so far.i saw my paperwork said not to use the thread tape or the senders wouldn't ground.

i got oil pressure!
about 26/27 @ idle.is this ok? i'll have to adjust the gauges low setting because it flashes.
when you guys get back from Church,can you tell me what i should set the low setting at so flashes when dangerous?
i revved her up to about 2k rpm and saw 45-50 lbs quickly.

i tried connecting my stock wire to this sensor but my digital gauge didn't work,so i had to unplug it.ahh well,it's not like i need the silly stock one anyway.

i was popping in to make sure i installed my cooler and filter on the return line,and that the front line is my line out.not that i didn't double check that before installing,but figured now would be a good time to triple check lol.
going back out to try my T and fittings for trans temp sensor and hook in my water temp.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:28 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
I thought its 50psi at idle? or maybe I mixed up things I read somewhere I usually do that, hey f250 when you pulled out the test port for the trans temp did you get showered in ATF? I figured a ton is gonna come out, I havent put my probe in yet, but I did wire in a kenwood stereo with cd player! that my uncle gave me we pulled from his chevy its so nice to be able to listen to music you want to the radio gets annoying after months

Old 08-08-2010, 07:18 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
well i just tried it again and 40/41 at idle.so not sure whats going on yet.maybe the first time was a fluke or iv got a loose connection.hopefully not an oil pump going out.so we'll see what the story is was i run it for a bit.

pulling the port there in that pic doesn't leak bad.just a few tiny drops.i put the plug back in and used a T up by the radiator so i can see the trans fluid temp just before it gets cooled at it's highest readings.
i figured that was best then depending on how often it goes over 200 degree's (if ever) will help me determine if i should use the standard 30,000 mile interval trans flush or the 15,000 interval severe flush.

Quick Reply: my latest project: red digital gauges