1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help fixing leaks

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:21 PM
scseth
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help fixing leaks

Im working on a '56 Ford Yblock which now appears to be running well. There was a nasty fuel leak that was fixed by rebuilding the carb and some minor ones by replacing old hoses.

There are two more that I could use some help with.

Leak #1

There appears to be oil dripping from a hole in the crank case. You can see the oil plug drain to the left (truck front to left, tail to right). There doesnt appear to be any thread so wasnt sure if there was a plug that is suppose to go there or is indicative of another problem.

Leak #2

THere appears to be transmission oil dripping at the drive shaft. I checked LMC trucks and couldnt find any bearings or gaskets for this part of the truck I could see that made sense. Any ideas where I could get the right part to fix this leak?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:37 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 290 Likes on 200 Posts
The leak in photo number two,I believe is the tranny output shaft seal.You can remove the driveshaft and that yoke,pull out the old seal and reinstall a new one.If the yoke is not badly pitted or corroded,that should cure it.
Photo one-may be an input shaft seal on the front of the tranny,or maybe oil from a bad rear main seal on the engine.Me,I'd live with it if it isn't too bad,and change it when you next remove the tranny or engine.Someone else may give you a better idea or advice.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:22 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I second ibuzzard's comments. It shouldn't be too tough to find an output shaft seal. If worse comes to worse, you could always pull the old seal out and look for numbers that the parts store can cross reference. If that doesn't work and you have a local bearing house or supplier, you could take the your old seal so they can measure the OD and the driveshaft so they can measure the ID. They will be able to find you a seal based on the dimensions.

As for the first picture, that is the clutch and flywheel cover and the hole is in it so any oil leakage from the engine or transmission can escape. Take the plug out that you put in it NOW. If oil builds up in there, it will eventually foul your clutch and ruin it. The permanent fix will more than likely be to pull the oil pan and replace the rear main seal of the engine. Put a drip pan on the floor of the garage and live with it if the enggine is otherwise in good shape. You can buy a whole lot of oil for the price of the gaskets, seals, and frustration that fixing the the leak will cost.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:29 PM
FordCrazy99
New User
Good luck finding parts. I have been searching high and low for similar parts for leaks on my 1949 F-1. So far, National Parts Depot has been the best. They do not have everything you will need, but seem to be the best at cross-referencing original Ford part numbers (from a shop manual for instance). I have had a little luck with Early Ford Store 0f CA - Antique Ford Parts - Original & Reproduction parts -1928-1972 also. My leaks have been at the pinion seal and the same location you have marked as number two. I am beginning to think what the others are saying is pretty good advice...learn to live with the leak if you can tolerate it.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:38 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
You could ask here: Ford Truck Four Speed Parts Prices

As for the pinion seal, your rear axle should be the Dana 41, which is similar to the Dana 44.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:46 PM
scseth
New User
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Old 08-09-2010, 09:04 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
blue oval is correct. pull the plug! as for the seal, most were made by national. you should be able to see part # on face of seal. then jobber can cross reference for correct part. a lot of these seals are made in mexico now, and are not 100% on spec. but they do work. maybe numberdummy can help. he knows his (stuff)