1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Vendor Advice:Reman Steering Box,'59 F250

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:48 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 289 Likes on 199 Posts
Vendor Advice:Reman Steering Box,'59 F250

Gentlemen,I'm looking for a recommendation,or rather an opinion about a vendor,CPP . I want to purchase a rebuilt steering box from them,that carries a lifetime warranty .I intend to buy it outright,install it,then keep my original for rebuild to install at some later date when it needs replaced again - hopefully when I'm about 80 years old . Has anyone had direct experience with their re-manufactured steering boxes?Also interested in customer service/warranty issues,good or bad experiences.Steve.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:26 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

C'mon,guys ,the silence is deafening.No one's had experience using CPP's steeringbox?

Old 07-28-2010, 07:16 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Most of the distributors don't rebuild their own steering boxes they buy them from a remanufacturer, likely they all use the same one. It took 50 years of neglect to wear out the first one, so giving a "lifetime warantee" is a safe bet. The design of the Ford box didn't change from the 30's until the 60's, Ford made them as simple as possible, so rebuilding one is not "rocket surgery" to quote a well known female tattoo artist.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:02 PM
TxF100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have Customer services issues with CPP, in Feb I ordered their Mustang II kit for my 55 F100, They accidentally shipped the wrong rotors (Chevy instead of Ford pattern as per their invoice). I have been told numerous times they have shipped the replacements but have yet to see them.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:33 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Thanks for the input,Tx and Ax.I guess I'll let my mechanic pull the present box and have it rebuilt.I was wanting to avoid down-time as much as possible,since the truck is my only ride.Even though it would have been more expensive,with tax and shipping,it would be a quicker turn around with a rebuilt box on hand.Steve.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:42 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
I've seen on the HAMB the name of someone who rebuilds them (F-1 boxes are favored for deuce rods). I'll see if I can find where I saved it. He passed the HAMB's rigorous reviews, so it's likely a good player, more likely an individual craftsman, not a faceless corporation.

PS -- someone on here did their own rebuild and posted great pics of the process, try a search if you end up doing it yourself.

Edit: couldn't find anything in a search on HAMB; but if you do an advanced search on "F1 steering" you'll find tons of good info

Old 07-30-2010, 09:04 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Ross,the reman'd one from CPP is 550.00 outright,plus tax and shipping from Southern to Northern California.Then,there's the labor I'll pay my mechanic.I only did a quick search,but couldn't locate the thread you mentioned - if anyone can locate it and let me know,I'd appreciate it,I'd like to check them out.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:10 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If you have the parts on hand, the rebuild is not a long or difficult process, a leisurely 1 day project for anyone with decent mechanical ability IMHO.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:28 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Ax,thanks.My mechanic doesn't do the actual rebuilding,sends it out to some local place.Paying him 8 hours labor would get expensive in a hurry.Wish I had the skills and competence to attempt it myself.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:00 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I have been to CPP in Anaheim and I have bought various parts from them with no issues. Just like other vendors most of their products come from larger specialty manufacturing facilities who supply many retailers with the same parts. IMO $550 is pretty steep for a steering box but I guess it depends on how common the particular box is and how easy it is to find parts for it. Here is a place in Camarillo that rebuilds most anything, including steering boxes, Rebuilding Factory: Your Part, Rebuilt, Fast! I just found them on the web and have no experience with their company but as Ax has said, it ain't rocket surgery. (I like that phrase)

Old 07-30-2010, 12:18 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

I just found a place in San Jose,Straightline,that quoted me 425.00 exchange,is that price fair?I like the idea of pulling it and replacing it quickly,as I need to keep the truck on the road.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:07 PM
black58
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
I just found a place in San Jose,Straightline,that quoted me 425.00 exchange,is that price fair?I like the idea of pulling it and replacing it quickly,as I need to keep the truck on the road.
If you're looking to have it back on the road as quick as possible, and the money isn't a HUGE issue, go for it. I rebuilt mine last summer. It took a lot longer than I thought it would, and I had to work at it for some time to get it adjusted correctly, it works great, but after all of that, I still have a pesky drip that I can't get rid of. If I had it to do over again, and I had the money. I'd buy a rebuilt one from someone that's done it before. Bolt it in and go. Make sure you ask them if it will be adjusted correctly when purchased.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:30 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
ibuzzard,

I don't have their catalog in front of me to tell you the price and it isn't in their online store yet, but Classic Haulers sells rebuilt F-1 gears exchange. Their reputation and customer service is very good. 1-877-252-1948.

I still have a pesky drip that I can't get rid of.
Here's a tip I recommend to everybody regardless of the condition of their steering gear. Look up your nearest John Deere ag dealer and ask them for a couple tubes of John Deere Cornhead Grease. They all keep it in stock around here, but they may have to order it in if you don't live near the corn belt. I'm sure it's available online somewhere also. This stuff is a semi-fluid grease designed for use in their cornhead gearboxes. It's thick enough that it will not leak past tired seals or gaskets, but it will flow enough to run back between the gears as they move and will not just pack out of the way and leave them dry like regular grease will. It's good stuff! You may have to make some sort of adapter to attach the grease gun to the fill plug on the box, but it's otherwise a drop-in replacement for the oil or moly grease.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:34 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

I don't like to admit it,but I don't even know what is correct to fill the steering box with-Can you enlighten me?

Old 07-30-2010, 01:57 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
They were originally filled with gear oil.

Quick Reply: Vendor Advice:Reman Steering Box,'59 F250