Sponsored by: Moser

FX4 vs. Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Greenbay
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FX4 vs. Lariat

In the market for a truck and need to know the difference between the FX4 and the Lariat?

I am looking at a F 150 4x4 Crew Cab with the 6 1/2' box. I want the full center console, leather, heated seats, etc.

I have noticed the FX4 is less money than the Lariat but do not see a lot of differences in appearance.

I have been told the FX4 has stiffer suspension giving a little more rough of a ride....any truth to that??

I need to hear the truth before heading out to some dealerships.

Thanks

Old 07-22-2010, 02:54 AM
austinl79
New User
i reckon that the fx4 has a little smaller wheels, but it has offroad tires and skid plates..i think they may have a slight lift in them that the other trim levels dont have. theyre both solid man. enjoy your new truck, oh and by the way, maybe you should go to the dealer and get an info packet on both..thosell contain the truth and features about the different trim levels. good luck! hope i helped some!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:38 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
I have an 09 FX4 CC, 6.5' bed w/20" wheels and the Pirelli ATRs (supposed all terrain tire). I also have MAX tow which gives the extra spring in the rear. I have no issues with the ride. I looked at both the Lariat and FX4 before buying. The only functional difference I remember was cooled seats in the Lariat. I did not like the 'wood' interior look of the Lariat too. I also prefer the monotone look of the FX4, but now I think you can get that with the Lariat too. There is no lift on the FX4.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep in mind that the newer FX4 TRIM LEVEL is different than the older FX4 Off-Road OPTION. The FX4 option was a simple package that required a 4x4 with a limited-slip axle, and it added the transfer case & fuel tank skid plates, Rancho branded shocks, and the "FX4" decal on the box.

In stark contrast, the FX4 trim level is a nicely equipped trim level which sits between the XLT & Lariat in terms of creature comforts.

To dispel some other common misconceptions:
  • The only F150 that gets a lift is the Raptor.
  • Both the FX4s & Lariats share most of the same tire options/sizes; only the rims differ. In their stock form, both trim levels get Goodyear P275/65R18 OWL A/T tires.
  • Springs are computer selected based on cab, box, drivetrain, and options. Hence, a CC, SB, 4x4, 5.4L truck will get the same springs regardless of trim level. Options like Trailer Tow Package, Max Trailer Tow Package, Heavy Duty Payload Package, and Snow Plow Prep Package can alter spring rates dramatically.

Here is a look at the FX4 & Lariat trim levels:

Originally Posted by 2010 F-150 Order Guide
FX4 - Powerful
All XLT content, plus:
Exterior
  • 18" wheels
  • Black "bar style" grille insert
  • Body color front & rear step bumpers
  • Body color grille surround
  • Fog lamps
  • SecuriCode™ keyless entry keypad
  • Sterling Grey wheel lip moldings
  • Trailer Tow Package
Interior
  • Black leather-wrapped, steering wheel
  • Color-coordinated carpet with rubber mats
  • Power driver seat, 6-way
  • Rear window w/fixed privacy glass & defroster
  • SIRIUS® Satellite Radio
  • Sport cloth Captain's Chairs 40/ console/ 40 front seat w/manual driver & passenger lumbar

Lariat - Truck Luxury
All XLT content, plus:
Exterior
  • Body Colored Door and Tailgate Handles and wheel lip moldings
  • Chrome front & rear step bumpers (w/monotone paint)
  • Chrome grille surround
  • Chrome Two-Bar Grille insert with Silver Mesh
  • Driver side self-dimming mirror
  • Pueblo Gold front & rear step bumpers (w/twotone paint)
  • Side mirrors with power, heat, turn signal and selfdimming feature (driver's side) and body color skull caps
  • Fog Lamps
  • Trailer Tow Package
Interior
  • Additional steering wheel controls
  • Color-coordinated carpet w/floor mats
  • Dual Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (DEATC)
  • Leather-trimmed 40/20/40 front seat w/heat and 10-way power driver & passenger seats and memory driver seat
  • Leather-wrapped, colorcoordinated steering wheel
  • Message Center w/trip computer
  • Pedals, Memory Power Adjustable
  • Power sliding rear window w/privacy tint & defrost
  • Self-dimming rearview mirror with microphone
  • SYNC®
  • Visors w/driver & passenger lighted, covered mirrors
  • SIRIUS® Satellite Radio

Now with that said, option packages can obviously add or subtract some of the standard features on either trim level. One good example of this would be the FX4 Luxury Package option which really starts to blur the line between these trim levels.

Originally Posted by 2010 F-150 Order Guide
FX4 LUXURY PACKAGE (86F)
Availability:
  • Optional on FX4
Not Available with:
  • FX4 Plus Package (61F)
  • Side Mirrors, Manual Telescoping Trailer Tow w/Power Glass (includes heat, turn signal & puddle lamps) (54P)
Includes:
  • FX4 Sport leather captain's chairs (JB)
  • Heated driver and front passenger seats
  • 10-way power adjustable driver and front passenger seats
  • Memory driver seat
  • Body color door handles
  • Dual Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (DEATC)
  • Black leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls
  • Memory, power adjustable pedals
  • Side mirrors, power, heated, memory w/external mirror mounted turn signal indicator & driver's side self-dimming function with body color skull caps
  • SYNC®
  • Self-dimming rearview mirror with microphone
  • Reverse Sensing System
  • 6-Disc, In-dash CD Changer w/ MP3 capability & auxiliary audio input jack (includes speed compensated volume control and customer information display)
  • Power sliding rear widow with defrost and privacy tint
Optional Equipment:
  • Side Mirrors, Black Manual Telescoping Trailer Tow with Power Glass (includes heat, memory, turn signal and puddle lamps) & body color mirror caps (54R)
  • Sony 6-Disc, In-dash CD Changer w/MP3 capability & auxiliary audio input jack (incl. speed compensated volume control and customer information display) (58B)
  • Navigation Radio w/In-Dash Screen & Sony Single DVD/CD player w/MP3, DVD-audio, DVD-video capability (58N)

Old 07-22-2010, 04:42 PM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as ride quality, my 2010 FX4 rides MUCH better then my 07 XLT 4X4 did. Both have the 18in rims. Stiffer, maybe, but overall much better.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Power Kid
Elder User
Originally Posted by JeepPuller
I have an 09 FX4 CC, 6.5' bed w/20" wheels and the Pirelli ATRs (supposed all terrain tire). I also have MAX tow which gives the extra spring in the rear. I have no issues with the ride. I looked at both the Lariat and FX4 before buying. The only functional difference I remember was cooled seats in the Lariat. I did not like the 'wood' interior look of the Lariat too. I also prefer the monotone look of the FX4, but now I think you can get that with the Lariat too. There is no lift on the FX4.

You would have got the 4th leaf with the 20's regardless of the max tow pkg.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really think you'd be happy either way. The FX4 is less expensive and well equipped. If you elect to get the Luxury Package on the FX4 you'll be priced with the Lariat. Personally, the flow thru console with the floor shifter is a deal breaker for me. I much prefer the console that I have on my 06 XLT with captains chair option. The cup holders work out better and it's easier to work on if you need to plus that console holds a lot of stuff.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:23 PM
ECP
Freshman User
The FX4 isn't rougher than the Lariat.... it's firmer. Still an awesome riding truck.

I tested both. Ended up with the Lariat simply because it will be a road queen, therefore I don't need skidplates or a locker. I've got a bush buggy and dirtbike for the "self-therapy".

Also, the White Platinum tri-coat is only avaliable in the Lariat trim (deal breaker for me).

Old 07-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Greenbay
New User
Well I guess I'll head out to a dealership and have them start doing some searching for me....man I hate dealing with those people!!!! Always trying to sell something that is not exactly what you want just because they have it on their lot.

I failed to mention that I am not sold on going with a Brand new truck.....I am willing to go back as far as 2006 as long as it has low miles.

I plan on having this truck for a long time.

Thanks,

Old 07-23-2010, 10:10 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Power Kid
You would have got the 4th leaf with the 20's regardless of the max tow pkg.
That is correct.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ride quality between an equally equipped Lariat & FX4 should be identical. There is nothing in either trim level that would change the springs for that truck. As stated earlier, the springs are computer selected based on the trucks configuration. Those "default" springs can be modified by options that require stronger springs.

The only other variable factor in the ride quality equation would be tires & rims, but all OEM combinations offer at least 5.5 - 6" of sidewall so none of them should really change the ride quality that drastically.

Regardless, the point here is that any two similarly equipped F-150s (regardless of trim level) will share the same ride quality.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:42 AM
mrshark
Senior User
I love my FX4 and don't feel it rides too stiff. Has been a great truck for the past 6 years and when the time comes, if it's still available I want another FX4 model.

Don't think my truck has Rancho shocks though, unless they are a generic version, my shocks are black and have no name on them.

I do remember test driving a Lariat the same day I test drove my FX4, I did not notice any difference in ride at all.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:58 AM
Lucius Vorenus
Junior User
I drove both before going with mine.

I chose a lariat and had them throw in skid plates =)

I dig the luxury feel inside with the wood and also REALLY needed the cooled seats being in AZ.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:29 PM
RL201
Junior User
Originally Posted by Greenbay
Well I guess I'll head out to a dealership and have them start doing some searching for me....man I hate dealing with those people!!!! Always trying to sell something that is not exactly what you want just because they have it on their lot.

I failed to mention that I am not sold on going with a Brand new truck.....I am willing to go back as far as 2006 as long as it has low miles.

I plan on having this truck for a long time.

Thanks,
I wouldn't be too quick to diss the dealers. My dealer provided outstanding service in the hunt for my truck.
It helped that through research, I new exactly what I wanted and went in with a very specific build listing. I was nervous about finding my build because this was in July, far too late to factory order a build and I needed a new truck ASAP so couldn't wait for the 2011 models.
Over a period of two weeks, four trucks were brought forth for offer, none of them were located in my city. They scoured the other dealerships across country. Each truck had some package or other that was a deal breaker for me but they kept looking.
Finally, truck number 5 had exactly what I wanted. It was shipped from the other end of the country by flat-bed wrapped in plastic and was then prepped by my dealership. It had 4 miles on it when I took ownership.
They even provided me a coupon for $50 worth of gas since the dang tank was on fumes.
Now you may think all this extra effort added to my bill. Well it didn't. In fact, since I raised a big stink about them charging an extra $1k for shipping truck #4 from wherever (which I almost bought) they did not waste time trying to charge me shipping and prep on #5.
My point is, some dealers really do give a dang about customer satisfaction.
Oh, and it helps if you are a member of a LARGE outfit with many future potential buyers and you make this fact explicity known, heh (though I think anyone would have been treated the same).

Just my experience.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some dealers are good and some aren't. Most of them will go the extra mile to find what you want. The real test is when warranty work needs to be done on it. That's what really separates the good from the bad.

Quick Reply: FX4 vs. Lariat