General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

It's the Principle of the thing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 05:35 AM
1997RangerXLT
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very appropriate for a American/Canadian audience, It's the Principle of the thing. That's what many Baldwin's said when the Vietnam draft got too close to them.

They moved to Canada, not because they were afraid, because it wasn't a honorable war and America was going to steal all their oil. (Are we getting any of that oil yet?)

Well after they were let back into this country I guess they relaxed their principles a tiny bit because they don't leave during wars anymore. How come this war doesn't have them sticking up for their principles and packing their bags?

No Draft, someone else has to do it.

I'm praying for all of our brave servicemen and women with enough courage to fight for this country. May they all come home safe and sound.

Last edited by 1997RangerXLT; 02-11-2003 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:47 AM
wabiker
Posting Guru

Yep...exactly right Ranger, Its simply amazing the things people will "endure" when nothing is at risk...
also
Some of the rudest people Ive met have been on the Internet...I believe its a lack of accountability issue, its easy to be faceless in a mob mentality...
Almost as funny as real people....

Old 02-11-2003, 09:14 AM
1997RangerXLT
Posting Guru

Thanks for the reply, I thought this would really lite some fires in the response keys.

Old 02-11-2003, 02:07 PM
big_daddy_velvet
Elder User

Why should the Baldwins, or any wealthy people have to go fight? It's their interests our boys are defending, so what good would they be over there? I mean, somebody has to keep buying BMW's and huge houses, or our economy would struggle! Besides, they have so much money, they don't need to send their son to war, they can send a check to their Congressman and little Blake or Brock or Tanner or Tucker, or whatever stupid rich kid name their little snot nosed brat has, can get into college, where he'll be safe to protest the war and spit on the returning soldiers as he drives by in his Saab.
If you think the rich people are bad NOW, just wait until their kids are old enough to cause havoc. It's gonna get ugly; rich kids think they are so entitled to whatever they desire, they are going to ruin this country, since as we all know well, only rich people can be politicians, and the snot nosed brats that are in office now have children that are 50 times worse than they are, comin' right on up the pike. ARGH! I hate the attitudes of the wealthy almost as much as I hate them in general.
BDV

Old 02-11-2003, 06:50 PM
72mach_1
Senior User

PREACH ON BROTHER.........I'm with ya

Old 02-11-2003, 07:43 PM
wabiker
Posting Guru

....I wish I was rich....

Old 02-11-2003, 07:50 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru

I'm working on it.

Old 02-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ARGH! I hate the attitudes of the wealthy almost as much as I hate them in general.
BDV [/B][/QUOTE]

By your statement, you have fallen into the same mindset as those whom you despise.

Old 02-11-2003, 11:30 PM
FordRancher
Senior User

Originally posted by ultramagdan
ARGH! I hate the attitudes of the wealthy almost as much as I hate them in general.
BDV
By your statement, you have fallen into the same mindset as those whom you despise. [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't think it is fair to put all the wealthy people in one class as you did. Using your logic, I could say that the poor people of this country are just soaking up the welfare that I pay for with my hard earn money. Some poor people are like that, but not all of them. Most of them probably aren't. There are rich people who are snobby and think the world owes them, but a lot of them are not and they do a lot of good for their fellow man.

As for the original post, it is interesting how people changes their principles to fit the times and what they want. I would also like the thank all of our Military personal who are fighting to keep us free and to protect us. May God be with all of you.

Old 02-12-2003, 09:31 AM
Waxy
Postmaster

Originally posted by big_daddy_velvet
Why should the Baldwins, or any wealthy people have to go fight? It's their interests our boys are defending, so what good would they be over there? I mean, somebody has to keep buying BMW's and huge houses, or our economy would struggle! Besides, they have so much money, they don't need to send their son to war, they can send a check to their Congressman and little Blake or Brock or Tanner or Tucker, or whatever stupid rich kid name their little snot nosed brat has, can get into college, where he'll be safe to protest the war and spit on the returning soldiers as he drives by in his Saab.
If you think the rich people are bad NOW, just wait until their kids are old enough to cause havoc. It's gonna get ugly; rich kids think they are so entitled to whatever they desire, they are going to ruin this country, since as we all know well, only rich people can be politicians, and the snot nosed brats that are in office now have children that are 50 times worse than they are, comin' right on up the pike. ARGH! I hate the attitudes of the wealthy almost as much as I hate them in general.
BDV
BDV, I know you love to stir the pot, so let me indulge you.

This is another one of your patented rants alright. At the root a good point, but made ineffective by exaggeration and generalizing. Try this rant on for size. Took about 2 minutes to change the words.

Why should the [b[SMITHS[/b], or any POOR people have to go fight? THEY'VE GOT NOTHING OT DEFEND so what good would they be over there? I mean, somebody has to keep HAVING BABIES AND SUCKING UP OUR WELFARE DOLLARS, or our economy would START TO IMPROVE! Besides, they have NO money or ANYTHING TO PROTECT, they don't need to send their son to war, THEIR CONGRESSMAN WILL SEND A CHECK TO LITTLE VINNY OR STEVE OR DICK OR CHUCK or whatever stupid POOR kid name their little snot nosed brat has, SO HE CAN DROP OUT, where he'll be safe to DO DRUGS, protest the war and spit on the returning soldiers as he drives by in his Saab.
If you think the POOR people are bad NOW, just wait until their kids are old enough to cause havoc. It's gonna get ugly; POOR kids think they are so entitled to whatever they desire, they are going to ruin this country, since as we all know well, only POOR PEOPLE ARE A DRAIN ON OUR ECONOMY AND SOCIAL SYSTEMS, and the snot nosed brats that are THE CAUSE OF ALL CRIME ARE HAVING WAY MORE CHILDREN that are 50 times worse than they are, comin' right on up the pike. ARGH! I hate the attitudes of the POOR almost as much as I hate them in general.

These are not my views, I'm just trying to make a point.

Waxy

P.S. I hope you never win the lottery or succeed in life, it's a terrible thing to hate yourself.

Old 02-12-2003, 09:49 AM
bigin302
Junior User

Ah shucks fellas, I try not to label anyone either way. I know some "poor" folks on gov. programs that are better off than my folks are. They work as hard as they can, and if I ever needed anything, I had it. I also know some rich folks that do nothing and continue to get rich. And they do appear to think they deserve it. Some of those rich people had dirt poor farm families and factory workers that busted arce to get their families where they are, and luckily, the families use their money to actually help other people some times. I do get mad when I hear things like the above, but I can't really do anything about it. I keep my mind on my business and leave them to theirs. Now, if they infringe on my business, then things change. I'm working hard to become well off one day, don't want to be rich. If I was, I'd just give most of it away any how. Got to many people that have been good to me over the years. Now, as for the little "brats", you can't always point to the parents. A lot of the kids attitude is self-induced. That's nothing that a good kick in the pants won't solve, some of the parents just didn't do that. And, if I had come back from Vietnam, Republic of and somebody spit on me, we'd have a squarin' off, consequences be damned

Old 02-12-2003, 06:44 PM
72mach_1
Senior User

ONCE AGAIN WAXY.........WE DISAGREE..............SHOCKER

but you did say .....At the root a good point.....so I'll leave It at that....................later OL BUDDY

Old 02-12-2003, 07:03 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think it is fair to put all the wealthy people in one class as you did. Using your logic, I could say that the poor people of this country are just soaking up the welfare that I pay for with my hard earn money. Some poor people are like that, but not all of them. Most of them probably aren't. There are rich people who are snobby and think the world owes them, but a lot of them are not and they do a lot of good for their fellow man.

-I think you entirely missed my point. That was not my point at all. I completely agree with your post.

I was trying to make the point that if his attitude is like this now (assuming he is poor or at least not wealthy), then he will have a similiar attitude if he was wealthy (The poor are the problem with the world!) and be a arrogant snob. Doesn't everybody strive to a certain extent to be wealthy? So why are they so depised? Because some that are not wealthy think it should be handed to them instead of being inspired by the success of those who have succeded.

They should quit whining and make themselves wealthy. If you don't try you never will be. You might not succed the first few times but the key is never to give up. Learn from them.

Last edited by Ultramagdan; 02-12-2003 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:35 AM
Waxy
Postmaster

72 Mach_1 Ol' Buddy ol' pal,

I think you missed this part of my post.

These are not my views, I'm just trying to make a point.
Like I said, I agree with what BDV said to some extent. I also think there's some truth in what I posted by just changing the word rich to poor in his rant.

I just have problem with sweeping generalizations and hating people because they have worked hard to earn, or happened to be born into, money. I don't hate people that are poor, or happen to have some bad luck in their lives and be down and out for a while, and I certainly don't lump them all in to one stereotype of "poor people".

Rather than blame the rich for your situation, do something about it. That's the "American dream". I wasn't born rich, but I do intend to work damn hard to get all the things in life that I want.

That's it from me.

Waxy

Old 02-13-2003, 11:27 AM
cek181
Elder User

here's some reading material for ya'll....

http://www.workingforchange.com/arti...TOKEN=42682636

i don't know what to say about the draft. there's good points to having smarter kids go and join the military, but if they don't want to be there what good will they do in serving? nothing. the all volunteer force has much higher morale and capabilites than a conscripted one.

if i was drafted, i would go and give it all i could. but it's not my first choice of what to do with my life. id rather be a firefighter and help people out in their daily lives back home. that's just me though.

Quick Reply: It's the Principle of the thing.