1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

7.3 replaced selinoid/relay yet won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 01:46 PM
YappyPappy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 replaced selinoid/relay yet won't start!

Short and quick as time permits.

started truck...short ride...turned off truck for 5 mins then no start.

Got an after market sel/relay...click but no crank from starter when engaged by key or jump.

Any ideas please...novice at best but willing to learn.

Thanks!

John

Old 07-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Have someone turn the key to the start position,, & tap the starter with a hammer.. Or pull the starter & have it tested ..

Old 07-17-2010, 02:09 PM
YappyPappy
New User
Thanks Rick...oh just love your babies...I have a small farm with two dogs myself. Shepherds have a special place here at the ranch. Was my first and will most likely be the breed of my last dog. So loyal, love the pack mentality...good protection.

LMAO...just noticed your 'siggy' and the hammer thing lmao...also the we are fighting breast cancer at the moment...going on year two...so you can understand the need to fix things on my own these days...no money *wink!*

Again, thanks for replying and will get back at you on the results...

Old 07-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Make sure the batts are charged too.. & welcome to FTE...

Old 07-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE, Another Michigander, and a yooper to boot

Old 07-17-2010, 08:06 PM
rolltide3006
Mountain Pass
yappy, mine is doing the same thing. I'm in the process of pulling my starter to have it tested, but man is it a pain. There's this lip near the top bolt that wont let me get the box end of the wrench on the bolt. Let me know how yours goes....

Old 07-21-2010, 03:15 PM
YappyPappy
New User
have three bolts and wires disconnected however something is holding the starter up into fly...will look for a diagram of the starter to see if there is yet another bolt hiding.

Thanks all for the welcome.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:54 PM
YappyPappy
New User
OK now!

I am the lucky winner...lol...apparently I have the only four bolt starter. three front, one from the rear. But the best news is one of the wires was broken on the starter solenoid. Am taking a capt n coke break, will clean the old starter and clean install all connections...hoping I saved the 180 for the starter...will post you guys on my progress after supper and the animals are put up for the night.

Later...

Old 07-21-2010, 05:02 PM
YappyPappy
New User
Originally Posted by rolltide3006
yappy, mine is doing the same thing. I'm in the process of pulling my starter to have it tested, but man is it a pain. There's this lip near the top bolt that wont let me get the box end of the wrench on the bolt. Let me know how yours goes....

lol, once I found 'that' fourth bolt all I needed was a long extension and socket set and it was out in less than a min. I have 'long' sockets and try to stay away from wrenches if at all possible. Good luck and post me on your progress.

Oh my truck is a 94.5 just caught the edge on the turbo, overall a good farm truck got for 18 hundred $ with an suburbanite plow full functioning @ 160k miles. My last diesel was a 95 dodge ended up taking an admin position with the state in Lansing so I hated but had to get a car so I could find parking. But that bugger cost me over 40k at the time. I am liking this Ford much better and yep, I CAN WORK ON IT!

New springs, shocks, rear bumper, injectors...I am having fun and can keep the farm plowed out while drinking coffee in the morn and beer at night! *winK!*

I plan to get new interior, seats, dash etc as time permits, will be cleaning the minor rust on the wells and then tuff coating the bottom body line down, the wheel wells, the floor and bed...I now know you all will be apart of my project and I thank you.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:58 PM
rolltide3006
Mountain Pass
sounds like you got it. i finally got that 3rd bolt off. I used a combination of a couple of extensions and a 17mm socket. i took the starter to AAP and they tested it sat. I put it back on the truck and the thing starts but doesn't engage the flywheel. I tried having a bud start it while I tap on it but to no avail. I guess I have to pull it off again and figure out why it is not stretching out and engaging the flywheel. Of course it was working at AAP, but now that it's on the truck it doesn't want to work. Man this is getting fun.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Originally Posted by rolltide3006
sounds like you got it. i finally got that 3rd bolt off. I used a combination of a couple of extensions and a 17mm socket. i took the starter to AAP and they tested it sat. I put it back on the truck and the thing starts but doesn't engage the flywheel. I tried having a bud start it while I tap on it but to no avail. I guess I have to pull it off again and figure out why it is not stretching out and engaging the flywheel. Of course it was working at AAP, but now that it's on the truck it doesn't want to work. Man this is getting fun.
Sounds like you need a new one

Old 07-24-2010, 12:19 PM
YappyPappy
New User
Lmao...at least I have a sense of humor!

Put on a new relay and new starter...worked for three, six times over a few days, then this a.m. when to go to the transfer station and it clicked like I hadn't touched it....

Must be some wire or fuse giggling loose...any input will be appreciated.

Thinking I may have to rewire the darn thing???

Old 07-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
I have had remans being bad out of the box...

Old 07-24-2010, 09:46 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Automatic or manual tranny? Are you sure you're getting power to the coil circuit of the relay?

Old 07-27-2010, 10:01 AM
YappyPappy
New User
I am calm lol!

rewired the batteries and all connections after a friend came over and put a neg jumper cable on the engine from battery and it started fine....tried again after coffee, nothing.

thinking I will look over the fuses again today, perhaps play with the automatic trans column/ ignition key etc....Ideas????

Quick Reply: 7.3 replaced selinoid/relay yet won't start!