1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Calling all stage 2/H2E users!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 05:39 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Calling all stage 2/H2E users!!!

Hey guys. Got a couple questions about the modded H2E specs. does anyone happen to know the A/R of the turbine housing on the modded H2E and the size of the turbine wheel??? My T4 mounting kit should be here next week sometime and i'm looking to mount on an S300(66mm). I have a buddy that has a stock H2E so i can ask him if he has any specs on that, but i'm wanting something kinda in between the stock and modded H2E's. 66mm, but perhaps play with the exhaust side sizes a little to get a little different spooling characteristics for what i'm wanting to do. From what i can gather Neal's truck is kinda slow to spool when he is empty, but with a trailer behind him it lights up pretty good. I would like to have a 66mm that i can spool around 2000RPM or so. i don't usually use my truck in any situations where i need much boost below that RPM point. I am also having the up pipes ceramic coated and will probably have the turbine side of the turbo ceramic coated as well to help keep the heat in for better spooling as well. The up pipes are being built to bolt up to my stock manifolds or headers as well so i can throw on some headers at a later date for a little better spooling again.

The truck that previously housed these stage 2's ran a stock H2E and it took that truck a little bit to spool, but once it did it ran pretty good.

Neal, if your reading i would really like to hear from you on how quickly the H2E is dropping boost between shifts and how it spools say from a dead stop in 2nd gear and how much you have to spool on it again in 3rd after a shift from 2nd. Thanks everyone. i searched this on google and didn't find much as far as the H2E's specs. Is the H2E supposed to be similar to the HX40???

Old 07-15-2010, 06:22 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
I don't have anything to add except that the H2E is a brother to the HX50, not the HX40.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I remember TJBeggs saying he would go with the H2E over the HX or was it HPX?

I dont remember.

Far as I know with neals, from what he's told me, it spools good. But you'd be better to hear it from him than I. I just got to see him pull it in the barn. haha. We were a bit to far into the alcohol to go for a drive.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:31 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
i remembered watching Neals dyno videos and it sounded like it spooled later like around 2300-2500 rpm is where it was spooling. i would like to spool a little quicker than that. The modded H2E is a good turbo either way though, i just cannot use one w/ the kit i have. If i was to put an H2E on my mounting kit it would throw the turbo way up into the cowl b/c of the orientation of the H2E turbine housing.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Neal said it something to me like this.

Somebody asked him to show him some smoke.
Well, it was the guy in the passenger seat, who's dodge was on neals gooseneck on the back.

He lit the motor up and broke the tires loose in second, then broke them loose in 3rd, with a 3/4 ton truck on the gooseneck.

I think it spools good IMO. =)

Sorry for telling your story neal.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:52 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish I could answer but my little charger is on the opposite end.. lol. I would think the S300 is comparable to the HX35.

What top end boost numbers are you aiming at? Still in the 35-40 range?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:53 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
see that's loaded. the more load on the engine, the quicker the turbo will generally spool.. i'm looking for more of empty spooling. my stock turbo is dying to the point that it doesn't spool empty in 2nd gear until more around 2700rpm. either that or my intake plenums are getting absolutely horrible.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FARM69
I wish I could answer but my little charger is on the opposite end.. lol. I would think the S300 is comparable to the HX35.

What top end boost numbers are you aiming at? Still in the 35-40 range?
Ahhh one of the fellas i was looking for!! yeah i'm looking for around 40psi up top if the 160's will even get it there.. the S300 should be halfway comparable to an H2E if i'm thinking right. i'm not looking at the little bity s300's. i'm looking at something more like an S366 w/ either the 0.91 AR or the 1.10 AR housings and a 76.3/67.6 turbine wheel.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:11 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say the s400 is up your alley. You could also get your hands on a HX50 and put a 17cm housing on it. The smaller housing should help with the spool up time.

The S400 is pretty popular on the 5.9 side of things. I'm sure there's several different housings that are easy to find.

One thing I noticed when looking at a new turbo was that the specs on them are hard to find. I ended up calling holset on mine.

DWIW - The 50 I have is slightly bigger than the H2E. I experience pretty good boost drop between 2nd and 3rd as I have a hard time building decent boost in 2nd. I start building it in 3rd and really get it spooled in 4th.

I haven't drove my truck in a month... I can't honestly say how many pounds it drops between 4-5. The 180's will really work it in 5th though. All of this is unloaded of course...

Old 07-15-2010, 08:20 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
the smallest S400 that i have heard of is a 72mm.. that is wayyyy too big to throw on a set of 160's... ever.. i have looked at the Holsets and i have to wonder.. the HX50 uses the same style turbine housing as an H2E correct? T4i flange and all? if that is the case the Holsets will not fit to my mount b/c of the way the turbine housing is built and the turbo would end up in the cowl. I'm pretty sure an S300 will be plenty of turbo for this(most dodge turbos start life as an s300 such as the silver bullets, high techs, BD turbos, etc.). I will probably need to run the 1.10 housing. the 17cm housing i think is a little bigger than the 1.10, but they aren't far off i don't think.

i hope these 160's will spool up a 66 at least a little in 2nd, but i'm not too sure that it's going to at this point. I got a guy calling me in the morning that is building my T4 kit and i will talk to him more about the s300's and see what he thinks about them.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Almost sounds like you giving up on the f150 project travis? :P

Old 07-15-2010, 08:42 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Talyn
Almost sounds like you giving up on the f150 project travis? :P
2 things here.....

1:the F-150 is almost finished!!!! :-P

2: stock turbo is almost dead, needs to come off to reseal intake plenums already, and getting ready for a drag race in October and don't want to be stuck in the 14's again.. LoL

On edit: the swamps sledgehammer is based off of an S300(a large one), the WOP QSSB and the WOP GQSSB are both based off of the S300 as well.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:54 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK Travis. You have my attention now. LOL. No wonder my ears were burning, you guys been talking about me behind my back.

My turbo spools up real good at 2000 RPM. On the dyno video that was free wheeling (no load on dyno). I could load it with my brakes but I have found it doesn't help your HP #'s just the torque. My torque is 1000± so no need.

Travis I would venture to say that you would be happy with an H2e. You are only running 160 II's? What size plenums you running? I have the billet 3" ones so I will loose a tad bit of boost compared to the stock plenums but it runs cooler. If you are racing I would not run an intercooler at all and you will be fine. Some of the turbo's you have mentioned really need more fuel than the 160's can give.

If you can shift quick and I think you can, and if you keep the R's up you will have no problem.

If you want my honest opinion, if you want to race like you are doing then you need more fuel. Get a turbo that will take more fuel, give it more fuel and get the programming to back it up. Problem solved!

Old 07-16-2010, 06:54 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
I ran the Sledge with 180 Stage-2's in the drag truck last summer.
Not nearly enough fuel for that turbo.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 07-16-2010, 01:48 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Neal 97 250
OK Travis. You have my attention now. LOL. No wonder my ears were burning, you guys been talking about me behind my back.

My turbo spools up real good at 2000 RPM. On the dyno video that was free wheeling (no load on dyno). I could load it with my brakes but I have found it doesn't help your HP #'s just the torque. My torque is 1000± so no need.

Travis I would venture to say that you would be happy with an H2e. You are only running 160 II's? What size plenums you running? I have the billet 3" ones so I will loose a tad bit of boost compared to the stock plenums but it runs cooler. If you are racing I would not run an intercooler at all and you will be fine. Some of the turbo's you have mentioned really need more fuel than the 160's can give.

If you can shift quick and I think you can, and if you keep the R's up you will have no problem.

If you want my honest opinion, if you want to race like you are doing then you need more fuel. Get a turbo that will take more fuel, give it more fuel and get the programming to back it up. Problem solved!

I have to get with our boy Jim about more fuel, but i already know that i don't have the engine to handle what i'm wanting to do. Your modded H2E is like 67mm right??? so i should be able to run a 66mm turbo w/ a bit smaller housing(yours is 19cm) and it should run ok. I cannot run an H2E on this kit that i have though. I will not be using it for strictly racing at this point(although it will still see drag strip time here and there). It still needs to tow my F-150 a bit so i can finish it up, but as the truck sits i almost cannot tow with it b/c of the boost leaks and the turbo.

Lets put it this way guys. In my tow program I am now seeing 1000* EGTs if i get on it from a stop before i even get it out of 2nd gear. it will cruise on up to 1300* in 3rd and pegs in 4th now. It needs air and needs it badly.

Jim, do you think that 160/80's will run a 66mm S300 fairly decent? i have looked for specs on the modded H2E so i could get something kinda close to the same sizing, but i don't know the size of the turbine wheel and stuff on the H2E. I certainly wouldn't try to run a sledge on this thing... wayyyy too much turbo

Quick Reply: Calling all stage 2/H2E users!!!