1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser
View Poll Results: Which radio option should I take?
Modern radio, nicely installed in dash
60.71%
2 post radio to preserve the dash
39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Dash Dilemma - What kind of radio?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:55 AM
77_150_460
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dash Dilemma - What kind of radio?

I have an original un-cut AC dash in my truck currently, did not come with a radio. Now I am finishing up the interior and facing a dilemma. The radio I really want is a single DIN size, not a 2 post. I have looked at all of the options in modernized 2 post radios but really like having a CD player in the dash. Also, I can get a very nice brand new CD player single DIN radio for a lot less than a similar setup in 2 post. What would you do?

Option 1 : I am going to be the only owner of this truck for a long time, so put the CD player radio in the dash - don't worry, I will do a clean install, no hack job.

Option 2 : Preserve the original dash and work with having a 2 post radio that has been modernized.

Note - I am aware of the possible option 3 of hiding the modern radio in the glovebox or elsewhere, but I really prefer to have it easily accessible while driving to change CD's etc.

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Tees77f150
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am an original kinda guy, but understand your pondering, so I am puting a modern two post in my truck. I am getting one that has the am/fm, mp3, ipod, satelllite radio hook ups on it. That will take care of my musical needs, and still have that cool old school look to it. And with that hook up, it will look nice, and and there isn't a song in the world that I cant listen to while cruising along in my dent.

PS: It should be here this week, I hope!

Old 07-11-2010, 11:20 AM
vtjvt
Elder User
I vote new modern DIN mount, A new dash panel isn't really that expensive if you ever want to change it back. But I am one that could care less about anything being original,To me if it looks good and performs good then it's good. It all comes down to what you want, and what you are happy with. Like you said the truck is going to be yours for along time.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:38 AM
notyettoday
Senior User
I vote modernized twin post, they have one on ebay with a memory card reader, usb port, and auxilary input port. if your a cd kinda guy, you can carry a portable, or you could rip cds and purchase a 16gb memory card for $30, which will put up to 4000 songs at your disposal with the push of a button.

I prefer the shaft style myself not only because it preserves the originality of the truck, but also because its a theft deterrent... old looking stereo=not worth stealing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_2059wt_940

I just found this the other day, the truck and the delta will each be receiving one soon

Last edited by notyettoday; 07-11-2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Mispelled Forum Code
Old 07-11-2010, 12:12 PM
77_150_460
Senior User
Originally Posted by notyettoday
I vote modernized twin post, they have one on ebay with a memory card reader, usb port, and auxilary input port. if your a cd kinda guy, you can carry a portable, or you could rip cds and purchase a 16gb memory card for $30, which will put up to 4000 songs at your disposal with the push of a button.

I prefer the shaft style myself not only because it preserves the originality of the truck, but also because its a theft deterrent... old looking stereo=not worth stealing.

Adjustable Shaft Style AM FM Car Stereo Radio iPod USB: eBay Motors (item 230495678639 end time Jul-12-10 08:31:20 PDT)

I just found this the other day, the truck and the delta will each be receiving one soon

Thats a nice inexpensive option. I would definitely need an amp to hear the tunes over my built 460 with headers and dual exhaust.

Anyone else voting dual shaft radios have links to their sources?

Old 07-11-2010, 12:20 PM
notyettoday
Senior User
an amp is a good idea anyways... i've got an infinity 6-ch with reference 6.5" speakers in the doors, reference 6x9s in the back, and 1 10" reference sub... all running through an ancient kenwood shaft style right now. You'll go deaf before the sound distorts

Old 07-11-2010, 12:22 PM
c.l.nye
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cut it!! go with what YOU want.If you want the single din cd,go for it. I have always cut mine for the single din radios.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Shooter00
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the same boat, and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on this...USA-630 AM/FM Stereo Vintage Car Radio .com

It's also available at...Obsolete & Classic Auto Parts Online Catalog

You can get it with a 10 disc CD changer for under the seat, it has an 18" USB to go into your dash, so you can plug in a jump drive with GB of songs. Also is 240W, so more juice from the head than a new Kenwood, it has RCA preouts so you'll get good quality sound if you want to plug into an amp. Not to metion plug ins for Satellite radio and iPod. Price is equal or less than a new Kenwood, plus because its a two post old school radio, there's less of a chance of it getting stolen. For under $250, it's the only way to go!

Old 07-11-2010, 01:52 PM
redsuperduty
Senior User
Originally Posted by notyettoday

Adjustable Shaft Style AM FM Car Stereo Radio iPod USB: eBay Motors (item 230495678639 end time Jul-12-10 08:31:20 PDT)

Thanks for posting that, I just bought one for my 78.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:55 PM
77_150_460
Senior User
Originally Posted by redsuperduty
Thanks for posting that, I just bought one for my 78.
Any chance you have installed it? I would love to see a pic. How's the sound?

Old 07-11-2010, 02:01 PM
redsuperduty
Senior User
Originally Posted by 77_150_460
Any chance you have installed it? I would love to see a pic. How's the sound?
Nope, just bought it 5 min. ago when I seen the link in this thread.
I will post pics and give a review when I get it. I don't care if it cranks real loud or has super dooper hi-fi whatever. If it plays country music at a decent level, has mp3 and I don't need to cut my dash I will be happy.
The price is so cheap I figured it won't be the end of the world if it is a pc. of crap.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:20 PM
steponit
Elder User
Another option is to preserve the original bezel with a 2 shaft radio and buy another bezel for cutting up for the CD player.

Then you have the best of both worlds

Old 07-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Tees77f150
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Shooter00
I'm in the same boat, and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on this...USA-630 AM/FM Stereo Vintage Car Radio .com

It's also available at...Obsolete & Classic Auto Parts Online Catalog

You can get it with a 10 disc CD changer for under the seat, it has an 18" USB to go into your dash, so you can plug in a jump drive with GB of songs. Also is 240W, so more juice from the head than a new Kenwood, it has RCA preouts so you'll get good quality sound if you want to plug into an amp. Not to metion plug ins for Satellite radio and iPod. Price is equal or less than a new Kenwood, plus because its a two post old school radio, there's less of a chance of it getting stolen. For under $250, it's the only way to go!

I believe that is the same unit I ordered two weeks ago.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:18 PM
DKW 86
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone have experience opon how nthat unit actually sounds? Dont want anything more than a radio.mp3 player. Just not that into the stereo thing.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:32 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
If you go with a modern DIN-style unit from Pioneer, Kenwood, etc; your money is going to sound quality and functionality. If you go with one of the retrofit shaft style units, your money is going to the restoration market. The reproduction units are so expensive because they know people will buy them - not because of the quality or features, but because some will stop at nothing for a factory look. I mean no disrespect to those here who have them; if the look is worth it to you then by all means go that direction. For me, though, what matters is how it sounds and what it can do - since that's the very point of a stereo in the first place.

It's not much work to put a modern DIN-style unit in anyways; and if you ever want to go back to the original, an uncut dash panel is not hard to come by. Here's what I did:

Quick Reply: Dash Dilemma - What kind of radio?