Crane seems back in business

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Argess
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Crane seems back in business

I have a lot of Crane parts in my FE and was worried about replacement parts when Crane folded up. It didn't get much better when they were bought out as it looked like they were going to be manufacturing mostly motorcycle parts.

Well, it appears they are back to manufacturing FE parts (along with other engine parts).

Here's a link:

CraneCams

Summit is now stocking Crane again as well. Here's my rockers, although I see the price is quite a bit higher than I expected:

Crane Cams 34772-16 - Crane Steel and Ductile Iron Shaft Mount Rocker Arms - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Crane lists my old Fireball 294 cam, P/N 344361, as well, but Summit doesn't yet. Summit does list the dual valve springs, but I havn't checked for pushrods, reatiners, locks, etc. yet.

Overall, it's very encouraging. I sure hope their quality remains as good as it has been.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:40 PM
FFR428
Needsmorecoffee.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still have a set of those Crane rockers too. I've had a few sets of those and the Isky's. Mine were $169 when I bought them years ago. LOL

Long time no post how's everything up your way? Been HOT here. Hope the Cobra is running good.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Argess
Laughing Gas
Yes, mine were a lot less too, altough I bought them in the mid nineties.

I did break a valve-spring once and I found out I could order two under P/N 96877-2 instead of getting all 16 under P/N 96877-16. Not sure if that applies to rockers, or "still" applies at all, but it's convenient. By the way, the inner spring held things together, so no damage was done.

Weird spring, but summer hit hard yesterday with high humidity and 32degC (90degF) which was a shock when you're used to cooler weather. Of all the dumb days to pick, I decided to remove a large piece of concrete buried in the yard. Used to hold up a basketball post (and net). I only got down about 6 inches before the water was pouring off me, so I wrapped a chain around it (the concrete was about 2 ft in dia and almost 3 feet deep) and hooked it up to my F250SD (99). Extra low, 4WD, the rear end started to sink down and then out it came. I doubt a Dodge could have done it.....LOL.

The Cobra is working well after all the tuning I did last summer after the rebuild. There's a slight, almost non-perceptible little hiccup when I let the gas off a bit after accelerating. Probably the secondaries starting to close and the timing not quite right for the mixture. I'm not sure, but it's a mild thing and not annoying. eventually I'll get around to looking at it.

I've been visiting the forum, but I see everyone's questions answered so well, I can't seem to be of any help. No doubt I'll need help soon and will start my own "help me please" threads.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:51 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Hey Argess! It never hurts to get a second/third/fourth/tenth opinion on anything. If you have the time, feel free to chime in

Old 07-10-2010, 06:16 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Well look what stumbled across this morning...LOL...John, Glenn and Art ? Damn !

SOS Here just a different day...Still healing from some surgery's..and hobbling around trying to catch up on 15 months of staying indoor's watching the paint crack..

No progress made on the 428CJ, Its still out in SoCal...awaiting the trip down south here..the 460 Stroker is still on the back burner... Glenns aware We did get some work done on the old classic Dodge Ram 4X4 yesterday...Had to hire a young gun..A 22 year old cousin to get into spots I couldnt with my foot all wrapped up..But he works cheap and listens..

John hows Spencer doing..last time we talked he had taken a fall at the race track...Hope he's back on the horse and was able to shake it off....

Glenn ya get all the parts for the Kitty painted up and put back together for a summer romp around the block this weekend ?

And Art..what can I say Art ! You still causing Havoc on the site and keeping the Boys inline ?? I havent heard about you building anything lately ?? Open that tool box and get into some trouble with the rest of us ! LOL

I'am really suprised my little laptop let me get on the site now with all the advertisements ? It usually overloads the memory....LOL

Old 07-10-2010, 01:57 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by RapidRuss
And Art..what can I say Art ! You still causing Havoc on the site and keeping the Boys inline ?? I havent heard about you building anything lately ?? Open that tool box and get into some trouble with the rest of us ! LOL
I'd have to get rid of the wife first

And these days, it's more like a twin-turbo V10 than an FE, although I have been helping my brother collect parts for his 460-powered 1960 F100... I might just have to get my hands dirty helping him

Old 07-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Argess
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by RapidRuss
John hows Spencer doing..last time we talked he had taken a fall at the race track...Hope he's back on the horse and was able to shake it off....
For those of you who may bve wondering what Russ is talking about, my son, Spencer (16), started MX last year. Last week he fell during practise and needed 6 staples in his forearm. He still insisted on attending a training day last Saturday and just at the end had a spill and his other forearm swelled up like Popeye.

He seems fine Russ and is looking forward to tomorrow's race. It is probably going to pour rain out, but he won't be deterred. He has the fever!

Old 07-11-2010, 04:29 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Well John, Keep me posted..as you know I'am always interested in how he's doing..and the progress he's making.. But I can tell his heart is in the right spot...If he's still kind of banged up and going racing anyway... Thats where you can tell the Racers from the wanna bee's .... I had cut off o few cast's in my time because Tech would pass the bike and not me...LOL...So back to the pits and with a hacksaw blade minus the handle..and we were out doing it in the dirt again that night..then Monday back to the Doc for a new cast..LOL..

And Art, A Twin turboed V10...Sounds like a neat project...

I heard from FFR428 (Glenn) yeaterday as we and Beemernut Carl talk daily...and I think he's going to have he Cougar up and running if the rain stops up north... I know my boat got a good douche yesterday as a big Pop-up T-storm rolled thru and I didnt have time to get the cover on it...So hopefully the rain wont happen today and it'll dry out .So the cover can go back on and not cause any mildew or mold ? Damn toys ! LOL

Carls just as Crazy as he use to be...Now he's playing with little motorcycle engines and making big strokers out of them...and putting them in mini bike frames to run about 80 to 90mph on the street...Told you guys long ago he aint right ! LOL... Carl your a trip Bro ! The Krazy Kraut !