Need help with tranny fluid change on '94 F150!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 02:07 AM
zbs60
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need help with tranny fluid change on '94 F150!

I'm purchasing a used '94 F150 Super Cab with the 5.0L V-8 and ? transmission (does anyone know what transmission is in the truck?) Both are original. It has 128,000 miles on it.

I had it checked out at a Ford dealer, and for the most part it has been well taken care of and is in excellent condition. My primary worry is the transmission. I spoke to the original owner, and although he changed the engine oil fairly regularly, he did not pay as much attention to the tranny fluid (which is probably typical of most people). He changed it only once, at around 70-80,000 miles, and is not sure if the filter was changed then or not.

There is a very, very slight shudder on some shifts in the tranny, although for most part it still feels very good. The dealer's tranny guru recommends dropping the pan on the fluid and draining ALL the fluid, including what is in the torque converter, but NOT doing the pressure-flush that is recommended in the service manual.
He also recomends replacing the fluid with MERCON 5 fluid.

I can't imagine buying a truck that I cannot perform normal PM on, however I have some reservations about doing this. I WANT to change the fluid, but I've heard of some people having more tranny problems after servicing the tranny on a vehicle with this many miles on it than they had before the service, if regular PM on the tranny wasn't performed in the past. I've also been told just to drop the pan only, replace the filter, and then re-fill in order to not "disturb" the current viscosity of the fluid too much. And 3rd, some people say at this point don't do anything (an option I can't imagine choosing) and maybe it will be OK!

And last but not least, I'm curious about the Ford techs recommending of MERCON 5 for this 1994 vehicle, rather than plain ol' MERCON. Wasn't MERCON the standard issue for the '94 Ford vehicles? Will MERCON 5 work in a '94? Will it improve it's performance? Does Ford recommend it?

Sorry I'm so wordy, but I'm just very confused on what to do. I'm leaning toward draining all the fluid, replacing the filter, and replacing with AMSOIL universal auto-tranny fluid that exceeds MERCON and MERCON 5 specs - and then praying that nothing goes wrong!

If anyone has a recommendation on how much and to what extent I should drain the fluid, and what type fluid I should replace it with, please let me know ASAP! I'm trying to avoid an expensive repair in the future.

Please share your knowledge and similar experiences!!

Thanks!

zbs60

Old 02-09-2003, 09:42 PM
mike b
Junior User

I`m Facing the same problem.I just bought a 96 f150 with the 300I6 and e4OD(90k miles).The fluid looks light brown and I dont think its ever been serviced.The first thing I`m doing is order a B&M deep pan w/plug and change that fluid.The manual says use Mercon.I use Mercon 5 in the wifes Expedition(470rw trans).I think the difference is Merc 5 is semi-synthetic.Maybe thats why the mech said to use it.The merc 5 is almost a dollar a quart more.I found a sale on the Mercon for $1 a quart and the way I figure is if the trans hasn`t been serviced regularly the merc 5 probably wont save it now.BTW I`m not draining the torque conv but I`ll probably put only 10k more miles on it before paying off the Expy and getting a 2004 supercrew to replace it.

Old 02-09-2003, 11:35 PM
zbs60
Freshman User

That's interesting - it's a tough decision isn't it?

Was a Ford mechanic that recommeded the Mercon 5 to you or someone else?

Also, I'm confused over what to do considering all these fluid options that claim to be more than one thing. For example, Quaker State, Valvoline, and many others make fluid which claim to meet Mercon, Mercon V, Dexron, Dex 2,3, etc. all at the same time in one fluid! So, if someone tells you to use Mercon and NOT Mercon 5, does that mean you should not use a fluid such as the one I just described? Will it cause problems?

Why can't the tranny and fluid manufacturers settle down and make a tranny fluid decision as easy as an oil change?

Old 02-10-2003, 06:17 AM
mike b
Junior User

It is confusing sometimes but in my opinion when in doubt go by the owners manual.The wifes Expy manual said to use Merc 5 and the trans is a different one also.I get the feeling that the fluids that say they meet all specs are just synthetic blends like Merc 5 and may(?) actually exceed the minimum spec fluid which the owners man would only require.

Old 02-10-2003, 11:05 AM
Border3899
Senior User

I would just drop the pan and change the fluid that way. Speaking from expirience, my tranny had never had the fluid flushed and i took it in and had it done with 150K on it, two days later the tranny I was stranded on the side of the road with a bad tranny.

Old 02-10-2003, 11:38 AM
zbs60
Freshman User

Geez - that's one of those scary stories! Sorry that happened to you.

Did they change your fluid type on you during the service, ie. did they give you Mercon 5 for the new fluid after you had been running just Mercon for 150k?

Thanks

Old 02-10-2003, 01:00 PM
Border3899
Senior User

Yeah unfortunately it was not a good outcome for me. When they did the flush they used Mercon in it so it wasnt because of a change in fluid type. There are actually a few people out there who have had this problem after a flush, who can probably give you a better understanding as to why it happens. if i explained it i would probably give you some wrong info. Can anyone out here explain this?

Old 02-10-2003, 05:24 PM
AggiePSD
Elder User

From my understanding there are pieces of clutch plates, very small particles, which have lodged themselves in various places within the tranmission. Flushing in a new fluid which has detergents, etc. which are not worn out and causes these particles to be circulated and ends up plugging something in the valvebody. So you have to take the valvebody off and clean it, providing that nobody burned up any clutches because of a slipping condition that might be caused by the valve.

Old 02-10-2003, 05:50 PM
Border3899
Senior User

Thanks Jarvis, that's what i figured it was from but wanted someone to clarify that.

Old 02-11-2003, 10:48 AM
John Barleycorn
Junior User

Hey guys-

When you change your fluid, don't do what I did.

I forgot to drain the torque converter which leaves a LOT of old fluid in there. I ended up doing the drain and fill thing twice. DOH!

-J

Old 02-11-2003, 02:51 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drop the pan and drain the converter. Skip the flush. I want to see the condition of the filter and insides of the transmission. If it is an E4OD, you want to stay with Mercon, not Mercon V fluid. You will need a filter kit and about four gallons. Mercon/MerconV combined ratings is probably ok.

Jim

Old 02-16-2003, 09:59 AM
zbs60
Freshman User

Thanks everybody for all your replies! They've been very helpful. Considering the lack of attention on the tranny for this vehicle and the dealers unwillingness to come down in price (even with the $1000 in repairs it was going to need), I decided not to buy that truck and am still looking! But your advice has soaked-in and I'll be calling on it during my continuing search!

Now the question is - do I go for a well-kept '96 model, or go for the new design of the '97 or '98? I really don't know which is better or preferable. If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know.

Thanks,

Z.

Old 02-16-2003, 11:14 AM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ZBS,I presently own a 97F150,LWB,auto,84k miles,4.2v6.I use to have a 93XLT,Supercab,auto,302.That was stolen out of my driveway.I went with the 97 due to its roominess;i'm a big guy and this truck fits me.I also like the new suspension;got away from that twin I beam.I did like my 93 alot,but I like this one much better.If it were me,ide get a 99 or newer.Good luck!

Old 02-16-2003, 01:23 PM
mike b
Junior User

Before I bought my 96 w300I6/auto I was offered a 97 ext cab 4.2V6/5sp 70K miles for $5500 by my dealer friend.Some of you may think I was crazy but I turned it down.No offense Fat150 but that 4.2 was too big of a gamble for me to take as for as reliablity is concerned(read the 4.2 forum).Besides with the man. trans it wouldn`t tow my 4k lb. boat.Choosing depends on what youre going to use it for and how much you can spend.If that 97 were a 4.6/5.4 /auto I would have bought it in a heartbeat.If money is no object I would by a 97+ in an ext cab just because of the 3rd doors.My wife has a 98 Expedition and the 97+ trucks are less "trucklike" as far as ride and comforts IMO.If money is an object I would shop for the lowest mileage truck (92+)with the 300I6 that I could find.Most Ford people will tell you that the 300 was the best non diesel engine Ford made.But they stopped making them in 96.I was lucky and found my truck with just 90k miles for $4k and the trans seems fine.BTW I dropped the pan ,replaced filter and drained the converter and refilled with 15quarts of Mercon 3 days ago,runs fine.

Old 02-16-2003, 04:06 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my 97 not knowing anything about it except being the new body style.After I had it for a few months I decided to research it.Thats when I found out about the gaskets.Anyway,I had the lower intakes replaced to avoid any problems;the timing cover was done on recall.This truck is great!I am very happy with it and like I said earlier,ide choose a 99 or newer if I did it again.Yes,I agree,the 300-6 is the best motor Ford has ever made,then the 302.I just think the older trucks have too many out of date things on them for me contend with;ie-twin I beams!But,like they say;to each his own.

Quick Reply: Need help with tranny fluid change on '94 F150!