2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

duplicate keys

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 02:16 PM
black06f150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
duplicate keys

I recently purchased a used '06 f150. Of course when you buy used some items may be missing. I need to locate and purchase a duplicate key for my used f150. If any one has cost effective suggestions please let me know. Thanks KM

Old 06-28-2010, 02:41 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can get PATS keys on eBay and other online sources.

The problem is without 2 different PATS keys, you cannot program an additional key. You'll have to go to the dealer to get the second PATS key programmed. After that, you can make up to 8 (IIRC) PATS keys.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:41 PM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the same problem. Dealer charged about $75 for the "second" key. Make a couple more then, to prevent a repeat charge...

Old 06-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
You might check an independent locksmith. A lot of them have the capability to make additional PATS keys also. It might save you a few bucks if you can go that route.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...pats-info.html

should answer any/all questions you have

Old 06-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
Ace Hardware had a device for cutting and programming keys. However instead of programming a new key in the PCM, it reads the transponder code off of your current key, and the replacement key duplicates that code. So the truck does not know the difference between the two key codes. It will save you a trip to the dealer, but I think it is stil like 50 or 60 bucks. That or you can find a buddy with an IDS and buy yourself a 13 dollar key and have them program it. Thats what i'll be doing this summer while I have access to an IDS. I too only have 1 key for my truck.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:47 AM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
I won't even consider purchasing a vehicle with just one key unless they really make the hassle of making that second key worth while ..... several times over. I'm **** about it.

Usually, never a problem, but with my '07 purchased last August, the salesperson said the other key and remote were in the office. I made my deal, told him I had to have twop keys and a remote. 3 days later I drive 70 miles back to take posession of my truck, only one key. I was pi55ed.

I waited while the salesman wentover to main office and through shop looking. No key.

I had a right of recission (spl?) and so I took the truck home, wife and I, her folowing me 70 miles. I called him the next day and then told him I'ld call again Monday morning and that if he didn't have the key and remote then, I wanted an appointment in their shop to have one of each made on their dime Monday afternoon (or I was going to use the recission though I didn't say as much).

He called me Saturday, the previous owner came by and dropped off the key and two remotes. Had just forgotten them it seems. I was good.

Salesman still assumed too much when he assured me they had them though .... but a nice guy I rekon.

With two programmed keys, the truck will program more. With one remote, it'll program more. I got extra blanks and remotes off ebay, had local ACE cut the keys, used truck to program.

1 set (a full set for me is two keys and onne remote connected by a quick detack key ring, key on one, key and remote on other) stays home, and when I drive any vehicle, I have two keys minimum and a remote. If on a road trip, there's the key I use in the ignition / door etc, the spare in my left pocket, and a third hidden on board.

My truck now ? .... total 6 keys and 3 remotes ... I got a spare.

Those few days I had only the one key, I would not even drive the truck.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:10 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Peter94
Ace Hardware had a device for cutting and programming keys. However instead of programming a new key in the PCM, it reads the transponder code off of your current key, and the replacement key duplicates that code. So the truck does not know the difference between the two key codes. It will save you a trip to the dealer, but I think it is stil like 50 or 60 bucks. That or you can find a buddy with an IDS and buy yourself a 13 dollar key and have them program it. Thats what i'll be doing this summer while I have access to an IDS. I too only have 1 key for my truck.
Just to clarify, with two identical keys you can't program/make another backup key without going to the locksmith or Ace Hardware.

You must have two different PATS keys to make spares.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
Shotgunz,
Yes, you need 2 PATS keys to program a third. However if you buy one at ACE, you dont even have to program it to your truck. It just works out of the box. They read the signal your PATS key puts out, and they program the new key to duplicate that signal, so your truck does not know the difference between the aftermarket key, and the Ford key. So you if you only have 1 key, and dont mind an ugly looking aftermarket key, ace will cut and program you one.

Oh, and for what its worth, if anyone wants more than 8 keys programmed or whatever the limit is, you can take it to the dealer and they can unlock the PCM so it will accept as many keys as you can afford to cut and program.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:23 PM
baitmaster
Posting Guru
3rd key

I bought a PATS key at the dealer for $30. they cut it, and I programmed it. They said it would be $150 if I only had 1 key. i asked why, and he said if you come in with 2 keys, they figure the vehicle is yours. If only 1 key, maybe not. Whatever. Now I need to do this with the Jeep. Only have 2 keys for now.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Lady Fitzgerald
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by baitmaster
...They said it would be $150 if I only had 1 key. i asked why, and he said if you come in with 2 keys, they figure the vehicle is yours. If only 1 key, maybe not...
Now that is just totally lame (on the dealers part). Bad as my dealer is, it's only $30 to cut a key with a $50 charge to program them for me. I'm not so sure I would trust Ace to cut my keys. I was in one near me and noticed that they had chipped keys so I checked into it; figured it would save me a trip to the dealer. They wanted $45 to cut a key. Nothing was said about programming it. They were flabbergasted when I told them I could get a key cut for only $30 at a dealer.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
I made out pretty good, bought 2 keys, cut for 40 bucks from the dealer. Borrowed an IDS for the weekend, and now I have 3 keys programmed for my truck! Wohoo!

I will tell you that if you have to use the IDS, there is a 10 min waiting period before you can access the PATS system (for security purposes). So that is part of the reason it will cost more if you only have 1 key (IDS is required if you only have 1 key). Once you are in all you have to do is delete all the old keys, then reprogram at least 2 new ones. I also turned unlimed key mode on, so I can program more than 8 keys.

I would say $150 is a little steep though. I think that could be argued down. It took me maybe 25 min to get everything hooked up, go through the 10 min waiting period, program 3 keys, and unhook everything. I imagine if you were a tech who knew exactly what they were doing, it would take way less than that.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:06 PM
jjoyce11
Senior User
I only had one key for my truck. i ordered two more keys on ebay so i could have them cut and programmed. in the mean time, my parents not knowing i had ordered one, went to ace and had them make me an additional one. i understand that ACE duplicates the PAT code instead of making a new one.

my first question is, why is it necessary or important to have the dealer do it so there is a different code, is it really necessary?

second, now that i have two keys (same code) can I program the keys i get from ebay with the instructions that came with it or will it be the same as taking it to ACE, same PAT code? I was planning on going to the dealer and spending $70 for both of them to be programmed but if my parents $75 already at ACE and I can save me some $$ then I will. Thanks

Old 01-26-2011, 05:53 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
In order to use the truck to create a new PATS key, you must have two unique PATS keys.

It's not necessary to have two unique keys...until you loose one. Then you get to pay the dealer (or Ace) for either a new unique PATS key or a duplicated one.

Once you have two, you can make up to eight (IIRC) keys.

IMHO, bite the bullet, get two unique keys, and make at least one more (preferably two). Store them in a safe place. If you loose one, you can make another for $12-15.

Oh and and when you make another key, you also erase the lost key from the PATS system. The person with your lost key can open the door, but the truck will not start.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:29 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
A search for key replacement threads will provide several.
One with lots of info; https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...spare-key.html

Quick Reply: duplicate keys