Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels Click Here

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Senior User

Sparx Macgyver is starting off with a positive reputation.
'72 f100 brakes bleeding woes

Ok, tried to be descriptive with the title there, lol.

Basically, whats happening is I'm attempting to bleed my brakes. the problem is that 11mm is too big, 9mm is too small and the 10mm just slips on the bleer valve. I'm correct in assuming it's a 10mm, right? Every car I've ever done the brakes on has been a 10mm, even my old '76 280 Z I had.

Just trying to get the brakes bled so I can go for a nice ride and test'er out.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Senior User

I've even tried deep well sockets. I don't really know where to go on this guys. I don't want to pay somebody to do it for me. There's no fun in it. Can't drive it without good brakes wither..

Back outside...
Old 06-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Amatuer Restorer

gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.
I just put four new wheel cylinders in my Bronco a couple months ago. Went to bleed them and three were metric and one SAE or just the opposite.

66 Bronco Half Cab, 203ci I6, CI aluminum head and intake, Isky 256/256 cam, Keith Black pistons, Clifford header, Holley 390cfm 4v, 9.7:1 comp, DSII ignition
Old 06-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Senior User

Hmm. Thanks. I'll go try those. Thought I did, but I might have not..
Old 06-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Senior User

Ok, I'm back. Still can't get the dag blasted things to loosen. Tommorrow I'll get some pb blaster and see if that will help loosen the things. But so far, nothing is working.

>_O
Old 06-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Post Fiend

rebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud of
> Still can't get the dag blasted things to loosen.

PB Blaster and a little heat (not from a torch) might help. A long time ago, I left a detailed technique for removing stuck bleeders.

Libraries are like art museums for the printed word.

Bronco IIs and 4x4 E-series -
the best Fords, because I own them!
Old 06-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Senior User

Well, the thing is, I don't know if there stuck or what because I can't get any tools to grip the stupid bleeder's. That's my real problem. Tomorrw, I'll have light and will go look again, but as I said, weather or not there even stuck is yet to be determined. getting a socket or wrench to grip them is. Would it be logical to put a single strip of say gorilla or duct tape in the wrench to grip it? Just trying to think of what might help..
Old 06-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Post Fiend

Lazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to all
Unless recently replaced the bleed screws should be SAE. Probably 3/8in. Use a six sided socket wrench.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Postmaster

Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.Grubbworm has a great reputation on FTE.
theGrubbworms JoEllen Grubbs
If nothing else, and if you round the head off for some reason, you could try using vise-grips and then replacing the bleeder screw with a new one.
Troubleshooting help, for anyone that needs it.
Reward good advice with a note by clicking the left red "Add to Reputation"
button right of the word "permalink" top right of the poster's message.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Posting Guru

merlynr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What lazyk said and go tightenand loosen easily back and forth, but only with proper six sided socket.(probably 3/8")
07 Edge SEL+ fwd
Old 06-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Senior User

Ok, awesome! there not even stuck! I didn't have a 3/8 deep well socket, so I went to my local autozone and grabbed one. Works like a charm. Next question, can I remove the bracket around the front bleeders?

There's a bracket, and I think it just holds the brake line to the brakesin the front. Is it ok to disconenct this, bleed them, and reconnect it? I don't want to disconecet the brake lines, just that bracket, because I can't get any tools in there to get to the valve.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Senior User

Ok, so, I can't bleed the front. Got the back done, cause I was following the usual order [RR, LR, RF, LF]. Back was rather easy. Though no air bubbles or debris, there was a llot of really nasty fluid coming out.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:09 AM
Post Fiend

Lazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to all
Provided it is not the brake hose you can take anything you like off, including the caliper.
If you do take the caliper off (with hose connected) jam a block of wood or similar in so that the piston can`t extend and make sure you hold the caliper with the bleed screw at the top while bleeding it.
Also make sure you bleed fluid out of all the screws untill only clean fluid comes out.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:09 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels

Tags
72, bleed, bleeding, brakes, breaks, bronco, f100, ford, truck