1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

HEI distributor ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 07:47 AM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HEI distributor ?

Hey guys n gals, I kinda started this in another post (engine progress and pics) but I would like to know how to go about hooking up the HEI dist to the motor once I'm done putting it together. I have installed a new wiring harness a couple months ago and have to old points type dist in the truck now, so all I have is the coil wire running to the coil. Is/what else would I need to get it going or should I just go ahead and put a points style dist in the new motor.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:11 AM
skuzzel_butt
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
only need 12v + to the coil

Old 06-25-2010, 09:34 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will need a little more than 12 volts; google HEI conversion and it will show you how to get the 12 volts to run constantly & additional wiring, plug gap, etc.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I have an MSD drop and drive distributor on my FE and it is fantastic.

All you need to do is hook up the connections per the instructions, to a 12 volt coil (and I REALLY recommend you get a FLAMETHROWER solid pack 12V coil)

AND

with the HEI distributors, you delete your ballast resistor. As Jaye mentioned, they like a full bite of power. It will work fine on your current electrical system as long as you are running an alternator and not running a 12 volt generator.

The generator will not produce a high enough charge to feed anything on the truck at idle rpm and when th ebattery kicks in to suply power, it's unassisted voltage is not high enough to feed the HEI system properly - it'll work, but it may idle sloppy.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:22 PM
tardster
Elder User
So I just need to run one 12 volt wire to the distributor correct? Can I use the coil wire once I remove the ballast resistor and where would I hook it up at. This is the dist I got from summit.
Summit Racing SUM-850021 - Summit Racing® Blueprinted HEI Distributors - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Old 06-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts
Ahhhh, …………………….I think the coil might be built in?

Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2010, 11:18 PM
tardster
Elder User
Originally Posted by Old F1
Ahhhh, …………………….I think the coil might be built in?
Yes thats my understanding is the coil is in the cap, I just dont know where or how to hook up the 12 volt wire to it.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:56 PM
polarspeed
Senior User
The coil is in the cap. There are only two connections. One for the 12V power and the other for the Tach. That is all. Steve

Old 06-26-2010, 12:11 AM
tardster
Elder User
Originally Posted by polarspeed
The coil is in the cap. There are only two connections. One for the 12V power and the other for the Tach. That is all. Steve
So far all I can see is 2 wires that come out from under the cap and they go up to the top of the cap by the coil and plug in. I dont see anywhere I can hook up the 12 volt wire. Am I missing something here?

Old 06-26-2010, 12:24 AM
polarspeed
Senior User
The top of the Distributor is the coil. In the picture, if you follow the black portion to the right where the wires from under the cap plug in, there should be two additional tabs in front of them. There is a standard HEI male plug that fits there to clip to the tabs and the wires are generally a single 10 ga and a 14 ga. The 10ga is for the power from the ignition or switched power that is 12V without the ballast resistor. Does that help? Steve

Old 06-26-2010, 12:30 AM
tardster
Elder User
The top of the Distributor is the coil. In the picture, if you follow the black portion to the right where the wires from under the cap plug in, there should be two additional tabs in front of them. There is a standard HEI male plug that fits there to clip to the tabs and the wires are generally a single 10 ga and a 14 ga. The 10ga is for the power from the ignition or switched power that is 12V without the ballast resistor. Does that help? Steve
Ok so where the wires plug in at by the coil (at the top of the cap) is a set of tabs (10ga & 14ga) and thats where I hook the 12 volt wire without the ballast resistor correct and does that mean I can use the wire that I have running to my coil I have now once I remove the resistor?

Old 06-26-2010, 12:39 AM
polarspeed
Senior User
Check Julie's wiring diagrams, but that sound right. I can take peek at my truck in the am to be sure. I have a 302 with HEI in my 51.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:41 AM
tardster
Elder User
Check Julie's wiring diagrams, but that sound right. I can take peek at my truck in the am to be sure. I have a 302 with HEI in my 51.
Awsome that sounds good, it would be nice if all I have to do is hook up 1 wire. Ive been told HEI is better than the old style so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:46 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
one wire is right , to the dizzy the other is the tach . coil is in the top of the cap , and i hate to say this , but the hei is one thing gm got right . it's the best factory electronic ignition system made in it's time . that's why davis and others have adapted it for use in every thing under the sun .

Old 06-26-2010, 02:00 AM
tardster
Elder User
I was hoping it would be easy to hook up, I'll get a good look at it in the morning when I get off to see where I need to hook the wire up at. The funny thing is this dist was 100 bucks cheaper the the old style.

Quick Reply: HEI distributor ?