Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Posting Guru

reed1951 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thumbs up Oil PSI and Compression check results on my flathead

Well I went to auto parts store and bought a mechanical oil pressure gauge because the one in the truck was reading low and I borrowed a compression checker gauge from a local shop. The oil pressure was consistent from cold start to warm at about 47-50 PSI. Some one had rigged some kind of funky oil system to the engine before, so I took it off so there wasn't an oil filter. Used pennsoil straight 30w oil. I do have the correct oil filter to put on it I just wanted to do the test first before I spent money on a new filter. I know that not running a filter gives a little more PSI anyways. P.S. after I took the old oil system off and put the mechanical guage on I still had the guage from inside the cab hooked up and it read 32 psi which was a little better than before when it had the funky oiling system on it.

The compression test showed 105,107,100,99,99,94,110,101. So highest being 110 and the lowest 94. I don't think the throttle was all the way down when I did the cylinder with 94 psi didn't realize it till I was already on my way back to the shop. The shop I borrowed the compression checker from said that was good. All I can say is its getting REALLY hard to even think about putting the 302 I have in this thing.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Elder User

larryb346 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If your not happy with your oil pressure and compression, me an about a 1,000 other flathead owners, will be happy to take the engine off your hands!
Your numbers are about as good as they will get.
Larry
Old 06-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Posting Guru

BlueOvalRage is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BlueOvalRage is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ditto what Larry sez. Those numbers are indicative of a very healthy little flatmotor. Save your nickles for a T5 swap and a better set of gears to help wake it up and leave her be!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Posting Guru

Sweet, that makes me feel a lot better guys. If I do go the flathead route I have a 9 inch I bought to bolt under the truck either way 302 or flathead. The gearing is 3.70. I wasn't going to touch it if I went the 302 route, but if I go flathead I think ill go with 325 gearing with stock 3 on tree. But....later on when the flatty would have to be rebuilt I would want to have a 3/4 cam put in it cause i have herd flatheads with them and they sound amazing, but the 3.25 gears I know would be to high for that. I guess I could just keep my 3.70 gears hmmmm. The farthest I would want to drive it would be to pigeon forge for supernationals about an hour and 45 min from me...... and of course around town.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Posting Guru

The reason I'm just not JUMPING on the flathead is that about 4 years ago My wife bought me a chassis engineering MII crossmember with SBF motor mounts already welded in place. I don't have the complete kit just the cross member but that thing was about 700 bucks! I know I couldn't get my money back out of it if i tried to sell it.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Your Posting Princess!

Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1951 View Post
The reason I'm just not JUMPING on the flathead is that about 4 years ago My wife bought me a chassis engineering MII crossmember with SBF motor mounts already welded in place. I don't have the complete kit just the cross member but that thing was about 700 bucks! I know I couldn't get my money back out of it if i tried to sell it.
I bought a full MII kit for my 51 and dealt with the seller to get free shipping.

I couldn't put it in because of exhaust issues. I was able to sell the kit and make a few dollars on it.

Never say Never.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:50 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Ib the other hand, to use that crossmember you'd have to spend a whole lot more of time and money to be driving...
Old 06-24-2010, 03:22 AM
Your Posting Princess!

Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Ib the other hand, to use that crossmember you'd have to spend a whole lot more of time and money to be driving...
Aaaaaaand, you can make your STOCK front end and suspension MUCH more hospitable and driveable for the same or less money!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:22 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
99, beehive, check, commpresion, compression, cylinder, filter, flat, flathead, flow, ford, full, head, navigator, oil, psi, routing, v8