S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

The Beer Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 01:31 PM
T8R
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Beer Thread!

Might seem a bit off topic, but Steve can correct me if I'm wrong. I was recently reminded of the oldest of traditions of handing a good beer to a good friend in appreciation for assistance rendered... especially amongst car and truck culture. This being the case - it could be handy to know what everyone here likes, making it that much easier for newcomers to show their appreciation an an appropriate manner.

This is not intended as a "my beer is better than your beer" debate and I would like to avoid "Why would you drink that?!?" comments - seeing as how beauty and taste are in the eye of the beholder - and the whole point is to be able to share something with another user that they like, since the point is... once again, to be appreciative. Including what you like about a given variety is acceptable, and small jabs at friends will be overlooked if they don't get too far off topic.

To quote Dad, "What he hell is this? Why the hell would I want flavor in my beer? I like light beer... like water... with beer in it... it's refreshing... and it's what I want. You can have this dark shi**."

(He said this with a smile, and laughing the whole time. It was in response to having spent years picking on each other for having very different taste.)

Old 06-16-2010, 01:32 PM
T8R
Laughing Gas
T8R - Rob

- anything with Sam Adams on the label, Guinness and/or whatever happens to be in the cooler. If a good friend is kind enough to share his brew... I would never disrespect that friend by turning my nose up at the offer. (Also, I am not a girl. If you wish to be this picky, perhaps someone will be kind enough to find you a Zima or Smirnoff Ice while you un-bunch your panties.)

Old 06-16-2010, 02:21 PM
rsmall
New User
Talking BEER- IT'S NOT JUST FOR BREAKFAST ANYMORE

The start of a great thread. Beer is one of my favorite pastimes. Last night it was Coors Light with my son. Tonight it will be Blue Moon with dinner. Never can tell what will be next????????

2005 F350 XLT LB CC A/T DRW 6.0 PSD 4:10; Banks Stinger; 24’’Wipers; BriteBox; 9005 Fogs; 16K K&W 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheel; HighIdleMod; Sleeved Cat w/ straight pipe.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 06-16-2010, 08:45 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by T8R
- seeing as how beauty and taste are in the eye of the beerholder -
Fixed that for ya. No beer payment required.

As for my brand, Mug or A&W.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:22 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No Dad's, Bill?

I've curtailed my intake severely over the last few years, but I'll still have a couple now and again, generally with a meal.

I've grown pretty fond of that Blue Moon, like Bob mentioned. Stella Artois is another that I like.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:17 PM
dumptech
Elder User
Cold with bubbles. If it's good, it doesn't necessarily need to be cold.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:11 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
What, Bill, no Fitz's?

Pop

Old 06-17-2010, 03:53 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
No Dad's, Bill?
I don't discriminate. Or is it, incriminate?

Originally Posted by SpringerPop
What, Bill, no Fitz's?
Don't believe I've heard of that one, Pop. There is another brand lurking in my mind, but can't remember right now.

I grew up in a tea totalling household, as did my wife, so we just never did take up alcohol. Seems like if you miss the opportunity in your youth, you probably won't develop a taste for it later in life. I'll down some wine or beer, or even champaign if the need arises to avoid insult, but otherwise not.

And now, back to Rob's excellent thread on mead.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:03 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Along with Budweiser having originated in St. Louis, Fitz's is also brewed ithere, and is available at Bevmo.

When consuming, it's usually The Champagne of Bottled Beers for me, though a Mic Dark or Sam Adams is always nice.

Steve's choice of Stella Artois is also a good one.

Pop

Old 06-17-2010, 04:11 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Barq's was the one I was thinging of.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:51 PM
T8R
Laughing Gas
You guys got me thinking about root beer - ended up making a couple root beer floats with the wife. Much tasty.

Also amusing - the Bevmo by my house occasionally does beer tastings on Thursdays or Fridays... got to try 5 kinds for $1. It was just a few tastes of each - but not a bad price for getting to try 5 brews.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:11 AM
rsmall
New User
Thumbs up IT'S THE BEER

Nothing like a few pichers of Bud Light with the crew after work
2005 F350 XLT LB CC A/T DRW 6.0 PSD 4:10; Banks Stinger; 24’’Wipers; BriteBox; 9005 Fogs; 16K K&W 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheel; HighIdleMod; Sleeved Cat w/ straight pipe.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 06-20-2010, 05:28 PM
orng1
Postmaster
I really enjoy working on a car or truck and having a cold Coor's light at arms reach.

But at the same time I'm not picky when the beer is being offered. But be polite offer a COLD beer.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:45 PM
T8R
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by orng1
I really enjoy working on a car or truck and having a cold Coor's light at arms reach.

But at the same time I'm not picky when the beer is being offered. But be polite offer a COLD beer.
Huge fan of keeping a beer on the tool box. You can typically tell how my project is going by the condition of that beer too. If the beer has had time to get a little warm before it's 1/2 empty... I've been having too much fun turning wrenches and making progress... and haven't been out from under the truck often enough to give my beer the attention it deserves.

As for being polite... it's good to know that the Socal crew are such thoughtful guys.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Serg450
Posting Guru
I must agree with most. A cold beer with a friend, or on a warm day is priceless. As many of you here, I have also cut way back on my beer intake. No particular reason, just don't need to drink like a fish anymore to enjoy myself. I'm not to crazy about soda for that matter either. I just drink really cold water.

Quick Reply: The Beer Thread!