1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT...Got laid off today.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:03 AM
f100newb
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OT...Got laid off today.

Well after working for 7 years with Northrop Grumman I got laid off today. They are letting a lot of people go today. You would think with all the war and stuff that I would have a good secure job. Oh well more time to finish projects at home. Anyone need radar work done on their trucks????

Old 06-16-2010, 10:23 AM
plumber01
Post Fiend
Caught this in the new posts, Sorry to hear that.. My company laid off all it's employees except me...Since I own it. but it wasn't because of lack of work it was because of lack of pay. Economy is A Beech!! I hated to do it to my guys, but did not have a choice inthe matter.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Ouch - sorry to hear that! NG has lots of openings in San Diego - come out here!

Old 06-16-2010, 10:34 AM
f100newb
Senior User
yeah it sucks but the economy is still bad, no matter what people are saying. My brother is a plumber and has been going through companies like TP. People seem to have the work but not the money to pay for the jobs.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
People and small businesses can't get loans to do the home improvements they need to do. Plus, everyone is terrified to spend any money at the moment because they all expect this economy to tank with all the Government Spending.

And BTW, the Government are the only people who say the economy is improving -its PRBS - it sure isn't happening on our end.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:27 AM
plumber01
Post Fiend
I think if the Major contractors that hire small business do a job, the money needs to be put into an escrow account to insure when it is time to pay people the money is there. As small as I was(only 33 people working for me) I am still owed over 1/2 million dollars, but they don't have laws to protect my business or ways to get paid other than doing a lien on the job that could be 20 years before I see anything.

Very Frustrating loosing a job. I hope everything goes well for you

Old 06-16-2010, 12:17 PM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
similar situ here. got the meeting from the owners last week we were selling. the corporate guys came in yesterday and are here thru tomorrow...

breakin out the rubbing compound for the ol resume.

JML

Old 06-16-2010, 12:18 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
f100newb,

Sorry to hear about your job loss. There are decent jobs out there for those that are willing to go after them. Try to keep an open mind while searching. I've got a couple friends that were in degreed positions that ended up making more money after getting laid off doing something completely different than what they were trained for. Hang in there!

As small as I was(only 33 people working for me) I am still owed over 1/2 million dollars, but they don't have laws to protect my business or ways to get paid other than doing a lien on the job that could be 20 years before I see anything.
My brother is a self-employed mason and he has dealt with this also. He finally got to the point where he'd charge 50% up front with the balance due at completion. He had finally figured out that those that wouldn't pay half up front didn't have the money to pay for any of it to begin with.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Tumblindyce
Senior User
Newb, sorry to hear that...best of luck in your job search.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry to hear that f100newb, don't let it depress you though, for every door that closes there are more to open. Good luck on the truck too.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:33 PM
brit_wheels_fan
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The loss of a job is a significant blow to one's psyche. Although it is true that lots of others are in a similar predicament, it hurts and it becomes personal when it happens to you. I have three adult children who have finished college with excellent academic and personal work records. They cannot find full time jobs in their field of preparation. I don't know what to say to them. Be patient, keep trying, stay positive ..... it's all sounding stale. I do think that your situation is more difficult than theirs. - Good luck in your efforts to find new employment. Keep us informed. Vent, fume, and rant if you must. They say that talking (writing) about it does help some and you never know what 'network' connection can provide a lead to a new employment opportunity. Maybe plumber01 will land a huge contract with a firm that is expanding and might need radar / electronics technicians. Stranger things have happened.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:59 PM
spiritrider1100
New User
Man that sucks Here in NC even state county city governments teachers,firemen and police in addition to everyone else are having the axe dropped on them no ones jobs are safe anymore!!! Hope you are lucky finding something

Old 06-16-2010, 09:58 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suspect that all this is part of the "change" that our current President promised us.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Sorry to hear that F100newb, Hang in there. My son just graduated from a fancy welding school in Feburary that had a 90 percent job placement rating. In May he took a temp job here in our little part of the country deburring parts at a job shop for 8 bucks an hour. I finally started asking all my friends about jobs and a lady that I work with her husband got my son in the iron workers union and he started last week at 16.50 an hour. So you just never know where a lead will pop up.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Last Chance 56
Elder User
Sorry to hear about your misfortune but we have been trying to hire the world here in N Al but no one wants to work any OT and wants 20 plus with no job experience. Our guys average over 60 hrs a week and continue to gain more business. We have way more than we can handle. Any takers? I get a kick back and no, my second wife isn't my sister....yet.

Quick Reply: OT...Got laid off today.