1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Super Duty Rear Spring Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 03:40 PM
TNScrambler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super Duty Rear Spring Swap

I finally got around to working on my truck some and getting some of my projects done.

My truck is a crew cab short bed F250, which I had already converted the front to F350 suspension and D60. I got a full set of springs off a '04 F350 Single Rear wheel 4x4 truck. SO installed the rear springs, blocks, and overloads in to my truck.

I actually had all the SD bolts, however I didn't want to buy odd size drill bits that I never would use again, so I bought a 3/4 in bit and new 3/4 in bolts.

I drilled out both ends of my springs for 3/4 in bolts, and the front hanger on the truck, and the factory obs spring shackle. I also replaced the shackle pivot bolt as well, all grade 8 of course.

I got the overloads on the springs as well, but I still need to pickup up two more of the frame tabs so I haven't bolted those on yet, but I have them.

The factory F250 shocks were too short, but I had gathered up some Rancho RS9000 adj. used shocks and installed them, so far it does seem to ride better over bumps and it raised the truck just over 3in. in the rear so I guess 2in. from the blocks and ~1 or 1.25 in. from springs

While I was at it, I also swapped my F250 xlt badges for F350 xlt badges that I snagged last week at work.

I like it so much better than before, not even that it rides any different, but I hated it sagging in the rear, now its a usable truck again.....

Before:
Name:  e87c3ba6.jpg
Views: 13625
Size:  181.7 KB

Name:  c117dddd.jpg
Views: 3437
Size:  50.4 KB

During:
Name:  9676f917.jpg
Views: 3946
Size:  116.2 KB

Name:  996de478.jpg
Views: 3625
Size:  144.2 KB

After:
Name:  b44b166c.jpg
Views: 3439
Size:  33.9 KB

Name:  384120ff.jpg
Views: 3643
Size:  115.8 KB

Name:  f86b272e.jpg
Views: 3534
Size:  130.4 KB

Name:  9d925be7.jpg
Views: 3576
Size:  84.9 KB

Old 06-14-2010, 06:21 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Nice job. Looks really good. Your springs were definitely wore out. Any broken leaves or just sagging like that?

Old 06-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Southern Buckers
Senior User
Nice Job! I would like to do this to my 1997 f250 crew cab as well.

**Now you may need to work on putting a little spring back on your basketball goal while you are at it. LoL!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:06 PM
TNScrambler
Senior User
No broken springs, just old and worn out. The truck has 235k miles on it. And I believe that the first 196k miles (in the first 3 years of its life its life) pulled a 5th wheel camper, so they were just flat worn out, literally

Old 06-14-2010, 08:35 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
i have had the springs in my possession for over a year now and just havent taken the time to do it. i have already gone around and replaced all the rivets with grade 8 bolts so when i do want to do the swap i can just unbolt and it will go much quicker!

do you remember how much you pushed the front spring hangers forward? and how did you get the proper shackle angle? i know they are a little softer than the stockers so i wasnt sure if they would extend more or not, assuming so.

your truck looks awesome man! i LOVE it!

-cutts-

Old 06-14-2010, 08:37 PM
TNScrambler
Senior User
Originally Posted by Southern Buckers
Nice Job! I would like to do this to my 1997 f250 crew cab as well.

**Now you may need to work on putting a little spring back on your basketball goal while you are at it. LoL!
hahaha, somehow I missed that earlier....that is actually a project of mine this year...to remove that whole goal that is....its been broken for years.

Thanks for the compliment on the truck though, I really like how it turned out....I already have the springs for the front SD conversion along with a RSK, but I am going to complicate things by building a new front spring hanger that incorporates a mount for an old Warn 10k winch I have as well.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:49 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Does anyone have a write-up on this? My ol girl has a broken leaf and I'm all about putting 1 ton SD leafs on the back...

Nice rig TN!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:52 PM
TNScrambler
Senior User
Originally Posted by fishmanndotcom
i have had the springs in my possession for over a year now and just havent taken the time to do it. i have already gone around and replaced all the rivets with grade 8 bolts so when i do want to do the swap i can just unbolt and it will go much quicker!

do you remember how much you pushed the front spring hangers forward? and how did you get the proper shackle angle? i know they are a little softer than the stockers so i wasnt sure if they would extend more or not, assuming so.

your truck looks awesome man! i LOVE it!

-cutts-
I only did the rear, which requires no movement of the hangers, I simply drilled the front spring hanger out to a 3/4 in hole as well as the front spring eye, then drilled the rear spring eye out to 3/4 along with the factory OBS shackle. Also, I turned my shackle around backwards to how the factory mounts it in order to clear the second leaf in the spring pack, some guys clearance the shackle, some clearance the spring, I just flipped it around and went on Also, some guys use the factory SD shackle, but if you do you have to grind down the bottom of the shackle to clear the factory hanger as the SD units are thicker....but I took the easy way out and flipped and drilled the factory unit.

Now, if you put SD springs in the front (which I plan to do as well) then you will have to make or buy new front hangers and move them 3.5 to 4in. forward of where the stock shackle currently is in the front of the truck. Because in the front the SD springs are 4in. longer than the OBS. A factory OBS front spring the center pin is offest of center, a SD spring is exactly the same on either side of the center pin and where the extra 4in. comes into play....the rears are almost the same length and will bolt in with only minor mods to bolt holes.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:57 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
ahhh! i didnt realize the rear springs were the same length... good to know, thanks!

ya i am planning to do my front soon. i already have the sky RSK on the front and love it. just not sure how far exactly to push the rear spring hangers back. i also wonder how much of a height difference there is b/t my stock F350 springs and the SD's. i am worried i will get too much lift out of them!

thanks for the info!

-cutts-

Old 06-14-2010, 09:01 PM
TNScrambler
Senior User
Originally Posted by FARM69
Does anyone have a write-up on this? My ol girl has a broken leaf and I'm all about putting 1 ton SD leafs on the back...

Nice rig TN!
Thanks, here is a good thread about it... SD Rear Spring Swap into OBS - Powerstroke Nation

but really all there is to it is to buy 4 grade 8 3/4 x 6in bolts (one for each spring eye) and 2 grade 8 9/16s x5in bolts (for the shackle pivot bushings) and drill out your springs eyes, then remove your old springs, drill out the front hanger on the truck, remove your factory shackle from your old spring pack, drill the spring hole out to 3/4, flip it around backwards of how it came out, bolt it to the SD spring, and bolt the assembly back in.

It is really not a bad job and much easier than I had anticipated.

Good luck.

Justin

Old 06-14-2010, 09:04 PM
TNScrambler
Senior User
ahhh! i didnt realize the rear springs were the same length... good to know, thanks!

ya i am planning to do my front soon. i already have the sky RSK on the front and love it. just not sure how far exactly to push the rear spring hangers back. i also wonder how much of a height difference there is b/t my stock F350 springs and the SD's. i am worried i will get too much lift out of them!

thanks for the info!

-cutts-
You do not push the rear spring hangers back, you move the front RSK hanger forward about 3.5 inches or so and make new bumper brackets. The rear fixed hanger where your shackle mounts now in the RSK kit stays put....only the front hanger moves forward when putting SD springs in the front....since you already have the RSK it will be a cake walk.

If you find that stock SD provide you with too much lift, you can install Excursion springs which sit about 2in. lower than stock SD springs.

Justin

Old 06-14-2010, 09:42 PM
TNScrambler
Senior User

thanks for the info!

-cutts-

Here is a good picture of where to move the front RSK bracket forward....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...y-springs.html

Justin

Old 06-15-2010, 05:49 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Tried to rep ya for the info and the work. Gotta spread it, won't let me. Again, looks great!

Old 06-15-2010, 08:41 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by TNScrambler
You do not push the rear spring hangers back, you move the front RSK hanger forward about 3.5 inches or so and make new bumper brackets. The rear fixed hanger where your shackle mounts now in the RSK kit stays put....only the front hanger moves forward when putting SD springs in the front....since you already have the RSK it will be a cake walk.

If you find that stock SD provide you with too much lift, you can install Excursion springs which sit about 2in. lower than stock SD springs.

Justin
thanks for the info. problem with my truck is that it came with a ranch hand bumper already installed and its welded on! i dont think there is a way to push the RSK mounts forward. i am gonna have to take a look. might have to push them forward as far as i can and move the rear hangers back if i have the room.

-cutts-

Old 06-15-2010, 09:38 AM
TNScrambler
Senior User
thanks for the info. problem with my truck is that it came with a ranch hand bumper already installed and its welded on! i dont think there is a way to push the RSK mounts forward. i am gonna have to take a look. might have to push them forward as far as i can and move the rear hangers back if i have the room.

-cutts-
Good looking truck!

You will have to modifiy the front mounts, maybe cut them down and weld them into the bumper brackets or something, because you can't move the rear mounts backwards, it will move your axle centerline back into your wheel well. The "Centerpin" has to stay in the same location as factory to keep your axle in the correct location in the wheel well. The SD springs are the same length from the rear of the spring to the "centerpin" so to keep the axle in the same position you will have to move the front mount forward. If you did move the rear mount backward you would then need to redrill your centerpin and move it forward to compensate, but then you would be negating the reason for going to SD springs by having un-equal lengths on either side of the pin like how our current OBS springs are now (4in longer from center pin to rear spring eye than on the front).

Justin

Quick Reply: Super Duty Rear Spring Swap