1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strobe light kit / Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 06:13 AM
glennemay
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Strobe light kit / Parts?

I know there is another Strobe thread going on right around here, but I did not want to hijack it with questions on different kits.

I frequently have my SD 4 door dually on runways (Not the ones where people walk out and twirl either ) I am forever concerned that I will be on the edge, or driving through and someone will not see me while landing. I originally wanted to put a revolving light on the roof of the truck just to help draw attention but face it. I would not leave it up there (Don't want to rot my roof) so it would be under the seat, or something and likely would not get used for a "Quick" trip down the taxiway or whatnot.

What I decided would be the coolest way to do this would be to strobe my roof markers.. The question is, can I get a kit that will either replace the current bulb with one that pulls double duty or a small enough one that I can get it inside the lens that is there? I am not at all opposed to swapping the lenses, or the whole fixtures for that matter.

If these are not avail yet, Anyone out there who builds these kits.. This may be a GREAT thing for plow drivers too. High aerial lighting is always helpful to be seen

Thanks in advance..

G

Old 06-14-2010, 07:28 AM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
Here is a post that has alittle bit of information on that. However, I am thinking, if you were able to get the whelen power supply or something similar to that, you could tap into the power like to the roof lights and make them flash. But you would want them split up, so they flash in different patterns and not all at the same time. You might also need to change the bulbs to work with the power supply. I havent attempted this yet, but have thought about it.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:03 AM
glennemay
Senior User
Originally Posted by scottzj
Here is a post that has a little bit of information on that. .
What is that link?

I was wondering if the lights were converted to some nice bright LED's if that could not be done. It would definitely be the cleanest way of illuminating the roof.

G

Old 06-14-2010, 08:06 AM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
DOH! Sorry, must not have had enough coffee yet!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...obe+cab+lights

Old 06-14-2010, 08:22 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
I'm currently working on my own wiring to turn the cab lights into strokes as well. I'll post my ideas after I track down the part numbers.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:38 AM
glennemay
Senior User
Originally Posted by grec-o-face
I'm currently working on my own wiring to turn the cab lights into strokes as well. I'll post my ideas after I track down the part numbers.
Perfect,

I would be very interested in how you do that. Not to mention you are not far from my location (Being that I am in Central Massachusetts) I may want to hook up at some point and have an eyeball on it.

Thanks
Glenn

Old 06-14-2010, 08:43 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
You got it!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:52 AM
aaronbrace
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not put traditional strobes in your roof clearance lights. They will either burn out or you will melt the housing. If you are going to do it, I would highly suggest a LED strobe kit (which aren't technically strobes at all, but that is a different story). You can also run LED strobes for days with the engine off without harming your battery as their current draw is very small.

---Aaron

Old 06-14-2010, 09:53 AM
glennemay
Senior User
Originally Posted by aaronbrace
I would not put traditional strobes in your roof clearance lights. They will either burn out or you will melt the housing. If you are going to do it, I would highly suggest a LED strobe kit (which aren't technically strobes at all, but that is a different story). You can also run LED strobes for days with the engine off without harming your battery as their current draw is very small.

---Aaron
I had the same feeling when I thought about doing this. Not to mention the snapping noise of the strobes may get a little obnoxious in short order. Especially if I am driving up and down the runway doing maintenance which I do frequently (Rolling a grass strip for smoother landing/takeoff)

My only concern is the LED as bright as the Xenon strobe? Understanding that my audience will be at 1600 - 1700 feet above me. I do carry a transceiver in the truck when doing so to speak with the pilots, but there is always that possibility of a bad radio, inclement weather, etc. If we are in a ground fog condition, as I was Saturday (My truck is white) then it may be relatively invisible to the air traffic.

G

Old 06-14-2010, 10:04 AM
DAFBFD58
Posting Guru
The only thing I can suggest is not to use the cab lights. You wont get the visibility you want and you will burn up the lense cover. If your looking for some lights to be seen LEDS are great. I know your not into a bar or anything like that but they do make suction cup systems for mini bars (so you wont trash the roof) and from the sound of it your not hauling down the runway all that fast so it will work just fine. The other option is to get a back-rack or a headache rack and mount a couple becons to it. You could even build a mount where you could flip them down when not in use.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:50 PM
TxFire76
Junior User
Hey guys...just to let ya'll know...I sell and install Whelen as well as many others dealers. Not throwing it out there for sales...but if anyone ever needs anything or simply has a question about anything concerning strobes/placement or anything else, even LEDs, lightbars or anything in this area...feel free to PM me.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:11 PM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
It sounds like the best bet would be a magnet light bar. You can remove it when you no longer need it. There are tons of cool and super bright lightbars. But I am with you, when I agreed to work emergency services, I stated NO light bars for me lol. So I do have a light bar along the bottom outside of the rear window, a dash mount one, strobes in lights front and rear, tir6 lights in the grill and flashing bar on side steps. Heck mine looks like a christmas tree on wheels, so maybe something like that might help. Also with visibility, I would make sure you use amber ones as they make it thru the fog better.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:15 PM
TxFire76
Junior User
Originally Posted by scottzj
.... Also with visibility, I would make sure you use amber ones as they make it thru the fog better.

also be careful with too much amber to the rear....and now you see a lot of PDs and SOs moving away from this....but it seems DWI drivers are pulled more to the amber light than any other. I mean...if their gonna hit you they are gonna hit you no matter what...but if you can help NOT to hit you....it would be all better. But they say to much amber to the rear is not a good thing...

There is a big write-up about in online somewhere...I'll see if I can find it. Some interesting facts on there.....

Old 06-14-2010, 01:20 PM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
Yeah I have heard that same thing. I dont have any amber on my system, but was mentioning it for him, since he would be near the planes and possible inclimate weather conditions.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:32 PM
glennemay
Senior User
Originally Posted by TxFire76
but it seems DWI drivers are pulled more to the amber light than any other.
If I have an airborn DWI, I think we have worse issues than that. Funny that Amber would attract them though. It's like Pavlov's Dogs. Except.. "Ahhh Pretty Light"

Now if people would just smarten up and drive SOBER, we would all be better off. lol

Appreciate the information.

The reason I didn't want to use a magnetic, or suction cup light is because if I were to just have to run across a runway for something I would not take the time to stop and put it on. These are not large aircraft. Cubs, Trikes, Things along those lines. Mostly grass strips. So if I had to stop, get behind my seat, unravel the cord, put it on the roof, etc. I likely would not take the time (I know myself better than that) If I just had to hit a switch then I think it would be easier. I am of course open to suggestions. That just seemed like the easiest way to add some upward visibility to the vehicle. Being that it is a crew cab 350 8' bed dually, Bright White. It SHOULD be visible regardless. But I like overkill.

G

Quick Reply: Strobe light kit / Parts?