6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2 inch front leveling kit - before and after

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Blown2run
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice. I also installed a levelling/lift kit on mine. 2.5 up front and 1 in the rear. Installed Nitto Trail Grapplers 295-65-20's instead of 35/12.50's to avoid rubbing inside and have a heavier weight carrying capacity tire.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:28 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Your truck looks awesome. The levelers and bigger tires make a big difference.

I actually ended up with 315/60/20's. They are just a bit narrower than the 35/12.50 and they appear to have plenty of clearance. I haven't gone off-road yet but I jacked the front tire under the control arm until it fully compressed the front spring. The wheel was at full lock and still there was about 2 inches of clearance at the tightest spot. The tire has a load rating of E so that should be plenty of capability.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:51 AM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
I couldn't tell any difference in ride after the leveling kit alone. It keeps all the original suspension parts including the shocks so nothing should be affected there. I hear you on the tires though. The tire store inflated them to 80 psi and when I left the shop, I was horrified. The truck bounced and bucked like crazy. So I lowered the pressure to 65 psi on all four and the ride is back to nice again. I actually prefer this ride to the factory Michellins. It just feels more "substantial" like you would expect.

I admit that I am a little concerned about the noise. This is my first set of MT's and there is a noticeable hum. But this has to be balanced with the type of off-road driving that I do. There will be many times where I will need the extra bite so the extra noise is the price to be paid. Don't get me wrong, it's not "loud". It's just noticeable where the factory tires were silent. They sound a bit like BFG AT KO's that are about worn out. Even those make noise as at the end of life.
Ya they are definitely a great off road tire, that still retains good on road characteristics. They are by far the best looking tire on the market, and really transform the look of your truck! I wish they made the same side wall on a AT tire... I would be all over that in a heart beat. My only complaint would be snow driving. It probably doesn't have as much to do with the tread, as it does with the width. But I wasn't able to plow in 2 wheel drive at all with them on... they just couldnt cut through the snow to get down to the street.

I also had the same bounce, but I attributed it to the leveling kit as well. Because for awhile I was running stock 17's on my old truck with the leveling kit and it still hopped all over there place. That is why I am so hesitant with this new truck to change anything. But your pics are def making me want to!
Good luck with that beast. Also, I would suggest rotating every oil change(5K miles), to get them to wear evenly.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:01 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by LaxPlaya21
Ya they are definitely a great off road tire, that still retains good on road characteristics. They are by far the best looking tire on the market, and really transform the look of your truck! I wish they made the same side wall on a AT tire... I would be all over that in a heart beat. My only complaint would be snow driving. It probably doesn't have as much to do with the tread, as it does with the width. But I wasn't able to plow in 2 wheel drive at all with them on... they just couldnt cut through the snow to get down to the street.

I also had the same bounce, but I attributed it to the leveling kit as well. Because for awhile I was running stock 17's on my old truck with the leveling kit and it still hopped all over there place. That is why I am so hesitant with this new truck to change anything. But your pics are def making me want to!
Good luck with that beast. Also, I would suggest rotating every oil change(5K miles), to get them to wear evenly.
I am wondering the same thing on the snow/ice capabilities of this tire. Heard that MT's like this don't grab onto snow like AT's do. My shop said they can solve that problem by siping the center two-thirds of the treads. They say that you can't sipe the outside lugs or they will wear quickly but you can do the center of the tire and increase traction a lot. Plausible. I'll try that come October and see how it turns out. Good call on the rotations. I do it religiously. Tires last a lot longer and are quieter as well.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Man you got that truck looking sweet! I need to get my winch on the front of mine,wish warn would hurry up and ship the mounts!

Old 06-14-2010, 03:42 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Thanks Rutcutter. It was your leveling kit that helped me make the decision to add one. Funny how those things work out on these forums.

Can't wait to see your winch. That is one thing I definitely have no need for. You must be driving some serious roads to need to winch out.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Yea sometime's it gets sloppy and noone around to pull me out Epiccowlick,these heavy trucks sink up quick with no momentum. Only took me one time to get stuck with noone to pull me out to buy one..LOL

Old 06-14-2010, 06:42 PM
my996duc1
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to order a kit but decided to run out and measure mine to see how it sits stock (with only 400 miles)...

40 3/8" at the front and 41 1/4" at the rear. So mine isn't too bad front to rear.
Glad I measured before I ordered.

I wonder why mine is within an inch of level where some others are 3" off... will my front end sag as I get more miles on it ??

Old 06-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
You have a 250 instead of the 350's we have.. On my last 250 I put 350 rear blk's and then the leveling kit..

Old 06-14-2010, 09:04 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Interesting. Does anyone know the engineering specs on the rear spring packs on the F250 vs. the F350?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:25 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Where are you guys measuring from? I always measure from the hub of the wheel to the highest point in the wheel arch. It probably makes no difference, as long as you are consistent.

Epic, are you planning on doing a after market steering stabilizer? I loved the set up on my 06'. Those trucks were notorious for the 'death wobble', and the stabilizer calmed things down tremendously.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:17 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
I would love to have more info on steering stabilization. This truck wanders and needs corrective steering input more that I would expect. I just got out of a 2000 Excursion and that was a difficult beast to keep in the lane and though the 2011 is much better, It could be improved. How do I find out more about a tightening up the steering?

Old 06-15-2010, 06:03 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
I would love to have more info on steering stabilization. This truck wanders and needs corrective steering input more that I would expect. I just got out of a 2000 Excursion and that was a difficult beast to keep in the lane and though the 2011 is much better, It could be improved. How do I find out more about a tightening up the steering?
Once you put on larger tires... over 33", that are also wider and more aggressive they will tend to tramline (follow grooves in the road). So the stabilizer will eliminate some of the symptoms as well as giving the front end a much more solid feel. Rize makes a quality kit, but I think you can go with any major suspension company including Bilstein and get a nice setup. I would go with a inline dual stabilizer for anything 33"+ as shown in the link.
http://www.rizeind.com/03products/04...cc_ford01.html

Last edited by LaxPlaya21; 06-15-2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: added link
Old 06-15-2010, 07:38 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
So it's good to know I'm not the only one who thinks I'm weaving in the lane with this truck. Although, I think it feels worse than it really is because I've had someone behind me and they said it wasn't as bad as I was reporting. Maybe it's because I've always been a little OCD when it comes to keeping any vehicle as strait as possible in the lane.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:15 PM
my996duc1
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rutcutter
You have a 250 instead of the 350's we have.. On my last 250 I put 350 rear blk's and then the leveling kit..
that would explain it...
I was kinda surprised that the F250 wasn't a little more nose down just to compensate for when loaded...

Quick Reply: 2 inch front leveling kit - before and after