1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Major Radiator Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major Radiator Leak

When I say Major radiator leak, I mean when you turn it on and let it sit for about 30 seconds to a minute, I lose about all my water.

From looking at all the pipes and from where it's coming from, i'm thinking it's the front seal on the water pump.

It's leaking from right behind the fan's... (totally lost thought) spinning thing... where the belt goes... the circle thing... why can't I remember the name?

Anyways, it's leaking there bad.

I have one of the people hear saying I have to replace the entire water pump to replace the seal. Is that true? Or can I just buy that seal?

Old 06-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it's the water pump, replace it, once they start leaking they are wore out.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 06-12-2010, 06:42 PM
FordNFishinLover
Posting Guru
can grab you a new water pump from rock auto for 30-40 dollars.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:45 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a little porcelain seal inside the water pump that eventually wears out, and it's letting all your coolant leak out. I've dealt with the exact same problem on my '96 Jeep Cherokee (it wasn't near as bad as your case), and my aunt's '95 Cherokee (it was a fairly big leak). Replacing it should fix your problem.

And I think the name you're looking for is "pulley". I go blank all the time lol...

Old 06-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
I switched the water pump today! (After fighting getting the fan off, a broken bolt, and a few other mishaps..)

My fan no longer wobbles, and no more leaking!

AWESOME!

However, I don't know if it's because of it nothing having enough in it, but it's running pretty hot...

I'll put more water in it tomorrow before I leave for work and see what that does!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:01 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
There are different water pumps for the two different pulley & belt systems - one for what are
known as V-belts, and one for Serpentine belts. The impellers of the two pumps are designed
to rotate in different directions. If you have the wrong pump installed on your engine for your
belt configuration, you won't really pump much coolant through the radiator and you'll overheat.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:10 PM
smashclash
Elder User
its hard to get all the air out after you drain the system. best bet it is to get out as much as you can and make sure your reserve tank is topped off. Then add some to the reserve tank as necessary.