1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser
View Poll Results: What do you think about having Classic Dash make Dash's for our 73-79 Ford Trucks
Yes I would consider a purchase of a Classic Dash for my Truck
72.84%
No I prefer the the Stock Dash
23.46%
I already have a custom dash I had made or Built myself
6.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Aftermarket Custom Dash motivate them to make Dash's for our 73-79 Ford Trucks!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:51 AM
custom76
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Custom Dash motivate them to make Dash's for our 73-79 Ford Trucks!

This Company makes Custom Factory Dash's...Please read entire post

I just wanted to share this with you all, as Ive seen some posts for Dashes
and as I myself have been on the hunt for a custom Dash for years...and no one makes aftermarket Dash's for the 73-79 Ford Trucks...That fit like thier supposed to with say Autometer Gauges...I know Dennis Carpenter makes the Ford Dash..But Im not into the Square Gauges...and from what Ive researched...no one is making Custom Square Gauges anyway..If Im wrong please let me know....So anyway here you go

Classic Dash Classic Dash - Custom Panels, Gauges and Accessories
President Greg Wambold Email greg@classicdash.com
They are out of Carson City Nevada
Local 775-883-7904
Toll Free 866-882-3525
FAX 775-883-7143

We just need to give them a push in the right direction....Ive been asking them about making Dash's for the 73-79 Ford Trucks ...for about 3 maybe 4 years...

Every once in a while Ill give them a call...Well they came to Scottsdale at the Good Guys Car Show on March 13th 2010...and I finally got to sit down with the President and really talk to him about this possibility....

So know its up to anyone that wants to email him or call them.....BTW I do not work for Classic Dash...and this is in no way an advertisement for them...Like I said Ive been asking them for years....

So if a lot of people were to contact him about making a Dash for the Ford 1973-79 Trucks...It may give him the incentive that he needs to start producing them

Greg was a really cool guy...and seemed very interested in the business possibility.....I informed him that all 73-79 Ford F100 up to F350 were interchangeable Dash's as well as just about everything else....I also let him know that he would need to do his own research to make sure that what I told him is correct..I told him dont just rely on my information...

He told me that it takes a lot of Money to make one Dash...then once its done and he can mass produce them..then he can bring the cost down...his main concern was Will people buy them for thier trucks...meaning is there enough business to invest in making one mold...then mass producing them?

If anyone gets any type of confirmation that Classic Dash will start making them for the 73-79 Ford Trucks...Or gets any information that they need X number of pre orders or Whatever...please keep us informed.

BTW Here is my Dash...I had it built for me...but I really dont like it, I wish I had a Custom Dash..that is really made to fit! If this picture does not come out...Please go to my Gallery, I have lots of picks of my Truck, I also have them posted on Photobucket....Feel free to let me know what you think?

Custom76 pictures by tmracingterry - Photobucket

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-09-2010, 01:16 PM
4wydnr
Elder User
I like your dash. I think it looks sharp.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:35 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Dakota Digital makes gauges to fit in the stock dash, they are just expensive is all and requires little modification to the dash though. I made my own also using the old dash. But it would be cool if someone made an insert to bolt right into our dashes to install the aftermarket gauges. One downfall I see is the cost. On my dash, I had a about $10 into the dash. I started with an old stock dash and did the modifications myself which wasn't too difficult, just time consuming to get it right. The expensive part is the gauges, especially if you want autometer or anything better. Not many people are going to be willing to spend $500 for a dash and then fork out another $300 or $400 for gauges and then a new speedometer cable or speed sensor to adapt to aftermarket gauges. So, it wouldn't be out of the question to spend close to $1000 by the time all is said and done. If a custom dash would only cost say $100 or $200 than I could see them selling. Anything over that, might just be way too much. More people are willing to spend cash when it comes to muscle cars or street rods, but the market may just not be there for our trucks.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:52 PM
BlackCustom77
Freshman User
nice custom dashes, which mine looked like ya'lls, Can yall give me info on what type of gauges I need just to replace the original gauges for now. Or do yall have a how to on how your custom dash. Thanks

Old 06-09-2010, 02:21 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yalls custom dashes look real good. My opinion though is they look good to begin with so im gonna leave mine alone. Its almost the heart of the truck to me. You just see one little corner of the dash bezel or the gauges and you know what kind of truck it is.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:57 PM
bamaf150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I clicked on the thread expecting to see something about repro dash boards, we are talking instrument panels here!

Old 06-09-2010, 04:46 PM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bamaf150
I clicked on the thread expecting to see something about repro dash boards, we are talking instrument panels here!
Me too, and I can't believe the prices

Old 06-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Tees77f150
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bamaf150

+1, I'll stick with the stock original look.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:24 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I clicked on it thinking, oh boy somebodys going to make a good dash pad. Darn ,it was the guages panel, nothing wrong with the originals.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:37 PM
bamaf150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wonder what quality the reproduction dash pads are, being as the thread is about dashs after all lol

Old 06-09-2010, 06:23 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Having just made something custom for these trucks out of fiberglass (custom fenders for off road trucks) I wish I hadn't.

There isn't enough market and the work is expensive so it was a large waste of $$ for me.

Now in something like this the company producing them will eat the original mold costs so you won't get stuck with that like I did, but still. I don't think there is enough market, and what market there is will be divided by different people wanting different things. Meaning, even if they make the dash one way - some people won't buy it because they don't like the looks of the way it was done.

I'll stick to making my own custom dashes/clusters.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Runamuk253
New User
digital custom dash

ive been looking for one too but i cant find much. my stock instrument cluster is an electrical nightmare.. gauges/signals randomly working/not working too frequently. im thinking about making a cluster myself so it would be easier for me to troobleshoot my own wiring.. (seems i can simplify it better if i re-wire it myself) problem is the electrical system isnt something im too familiarized with. but im sure after some digging in that it cant be too technical.. its from the 70's i did some looking around and can only find full cluster replacements. but its too rich for my blood. id like to just find an insert and cut out & add my own clusters. (i dont have access to a shop to fabricate my own housing). this one is cool.. but id like to add some more gauges.. and id rather not use digital readouts.. they sound expensive for the extra gauge's im interested in.

Dakota Digital Instrument Cluster, Dash.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:45 PM
76f350spercamprspeal
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bucks77ford
Anything over that, might just be way too much. More people are willing to spend cash when it comes to muscle cars or street rods, but the market may just not be there for our trucks.
our trucks ARE hot-rods...
The only thing I would add to my dash, if I were able to, would be a tachometer...

Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 PM
custom76
New User
Not really a bad price

Considering that I have over that in my Custom Dash..That I dont like...

$549.00 is not a bad Price,,,My dash was $300.00 to have made...plus the $239 for my Autometer Gauges...so hey really Compared to what I paid its not bad if you want to go that way...

Now if you are a metal fabricator...and Ive seen some really good work on here,,,then of course there is a cheaper way to go.....and whatever price you want to pay, at least, werte making headway into Aftermarket Dash's

Hoooo Raaaay

Old 06-09-2010, 10:15 PM
custom76
New User
Originally Posted by 4wydnr
I like your dash. I think it looks sharp.
Thankyou I appreciate it

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Custom Dash motivate them to make Dash's for our 73-79 Ford Trucks!