6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Intake Manifold Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 02:29 PM
04scurs
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake Manifold Cleaning

I am doing an EGR delete and Oil cooler Rebld. so should I take off the Int. Man. and clean it while I am there?

Also is there a concern, or special way to do it, when removing the feul injector electrical connectors, external ones, that are next to the IM?
Thanks for any help.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:42 PM
SHAWN056.0
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04scurs
I am doing an EGR delete and Oil cooler Rebld. so should I take off the Int. Man. and clean it while I am there?

Also is there a concern, or special way to do it, when removing the feul injector electrical connectors, external ones, that are next to the IM?
Thanks for any help.
The injectors plugs are pretty easy to remove. Just remove the metal clips first and pull them off. Use a screw driver or needle nose to do so and just be careful when doing it so u don't break em. Take your time on this and don't get to discouraged. Walk away for a while when u start to get pissed off cause u will at some point or another. It's not hard work just frustrating as everything is tight in this little compartment.

Take all the sensors and what not out of the intake manifold and soak it down with some simple green. Take it to the car wash and blast all that crap out of there. Get some some brushes that are on a flexible stick and scrub through all the holes on the intake to free up some of the soot and crap in there. Also get ya some electrical tape and wrap your wiring harness up checkig for nicks and chaffing while your tapeing it. Gives ya added insurance and protection against chaffing and also looks pretty nice when u get done. Also cleanthe engine good before u start. Good luck!

Thanks

Shawn

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-08-2010, 04:51 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What Shawn said. I did mine and was amazed at how much black gunk came out

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-08-2010, 05:07 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not that surprising.

Your trucks went through the ULSD transition, and in between there, there was a huge mess of issues created by not so good fuel.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:04 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because of your user-name , I assume that you have an 04 truck. If you do, than there is a possibility, that you have the "loop" at the back of the intake manifold. I know, that they removed it at 05, and some 04-s are also don't have it. But if you do, than you'll have to remove the turbo and the turbo mount for sure. The loop - it is there for pressure balance purposes , and it turned out, that the 6.0 doesn't need it - runs under the turbo mount, so there is no way around it. If you still decide to remove the intake manifold, and if you have the loop, I recommend you to take it to a good aluminum welder, cut it out and weld the holes shut - that's what I did, so if I ever have to remove it again, I'll save myself a big head-ache.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:13 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
The rear intake balance runner is only on the 03 engines, some of which went into the very early 04's with a production date before 9/23/03. If you have the ICP sensor in the passenger front of the valve cover it's an 04 motor. FWIW--If I was going to all that trouble to clean the intake manifold I'd take it to a shop and have it hot tanked. It took me a day in the solvent vat and an hour or two with the steam cleaner to get all the chunks out of an 03 intake.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:05 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I guess I need to take a pick of the correct way to remove the injector connectors. you do not remove the metal clips at all. you push them in towards the injector and lift up. Ill try and get a pic posted up in a few days.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:12 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by cheezit
I guess I need to take a pick of the correct way to remove the injector connectors. you do not remove the metal clips at all. you push them in towards the injector and lift up. Ill try and get a pic posted up in a few days.
LOL--MChan "corrected" me on this very point last night. I sometimes pull mine because it's hard for me to push them in but the correct way IS to push them in and not take a chance on losing them.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:14 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

really its easy. use a pocket screwdrive and set the tip in the recess of the hole were the 4 pin goes threw the head. then leand the screwdrive into the clip. I cant push them by hand either.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:30 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

that's a great idea. I'll use it next time (if it happens) I have to change an injector, which I just did today. My funky little quirk went away, by the way, but the 0404 and 0405 came immediately back. I'll work on that tomorrow although it means nothing.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:03 PM
rocky1074
Elder User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
If I was going to all that trouble to clean the intake manifold I'd take it to a shop and have it hot tanked. It took me a day in the solvent vat and an hour or two with the steam cleaner to get all the chunks out of an 03 intake.
This might be a dumb question, What type of shop can I bring my manifold in to have it Hot Tanked

Old 06-09-2010, 01:05 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

either a machine shop with a hot tank or a radiator repair shop. either will do a good job. and sorry but thats far from a dumb question.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:12 PM
rocky1074
Elder User
Originally Posted by cheezit
either a machine shop with a hot tank or a radiator repair shop. either will do a good job. and sorry but thats far from a dumb question.

Ok Thank You cheezit I was not sure where to take it
when I get to do the job..

Old 06-09-2010, 01:46 PM
SHAWN056.0
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if the OP is reading any of this but i want to apologize for not giving the right procedure to remove the injector plugs. I found it easy to take the metal clips off but I guess I was wrong. Sorry

Thanks

Shawn

Old 06-09-2010, 04:53 PM
04scurs
Mountain Pass
Thank all of your for your input and information. Very helpful!
It is an '03' motor, sorry that I forgot to put that in this post.
As for the cleaning I have access to a parts cleaner at our local Land Rover dealer. Would this be the same, get as clean, as hot tanking?
Also Cheezit it would be great to get the pictures on the injector clip removal if possible.
Thanks again to all of you.

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Cleaning