1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Temp problem still

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:45 PM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Not sure on your engine but the older flat heads were not connected side to side with water jackets. They were like two separate 4 cyl. motors cast together. One side could have a slight head gasket leak and only effect the temp. on that side. Old stories die hard but slowing down the water is the opposite of what you want to do. Do not try to restrict or slow down your water flow.
For some reason your gauge readings are high at the sender. I am wondering if you have some trash blocking there or just a big air bubble at the sender. Sometimes the flatheads will get a air bubble and be hard to "burp" it out.
As far as the thermostats, they are wide open at 160 if they are working ok. There are some issues with some newer stats having a smaller opening when they are open than the original ones restricting the flow some. Removing them will not hurt but unless they are sticking or the opening too small it will not cure the issue. If you pull the stats look and see if the open area where the butterfly part would be when open is the same on both sides of your engine. My 46 Merc. had one older and one newer style and one side was running about 30 degrees hotter than the other. The hot side stat when open had a noticeable smaller opening than the other one.
Several places offer high volume water pumps for sale but likely that will not cure your problem. If you haven't, you might look at the coolant in your radiater and see if it has any bubbles while running, this might clue you to a gasket leak,
I might just for grins remove the wires going to the senders and see if they got any cooler, just a thought.
Good luck locating your trouble
Larry

Old 06-03-2010, 09:47 PM
JimBollman
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts
Years ago I had an old truck (non Ford) with a overheat problem. I did everything I could think of and it still overheated if it was over 80 degrees outside. When I sold it I sold it to the new owner with that information. Shortly he wrote me and said he pulled the waterpump and the vanes were mostly corroded off. I had never heard of such a thing and never thought to check since it didn't leak and seem to circulate water.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:58 PM
lbrauer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to pull the therostats out and check them tomorrow and also check to see if they open with the correct heat on the stove in water with the laser gun. I have checked in the radiator and there is no bubbles coming up. That is one of the first things I did check to see if maybe the head gasket was blown.