1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Fan switch questions rad or block temp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:39 AM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fan switch questions rad or block temp?

Folks, I'm moving along with my 351w in my 52. I want to run an electric fan. I have some dumb questions. in the past I've only used electric fans for backup and pusher style units. this will be my first main fan system. where is the better place to install the temp sensor switch in the block or the radiator?? If I go with the radiator I'll use a probe style but where does the block style go and how do choose the correct range? I have a 185deg thermostat. Is that correct for this engine setup?

bob

Old 06-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Bob,

I'm not terrifically up to speed on the electric fans as far as cooling. But I'll bump this back up for you.

If you don't get the answers you need talk to Sam (Sdetweil).

Old 06-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used a probe switch near the top of the radiator. It works very well. If you don't already have the switch, I used a Hayden kit (pn 2652) that I found at Pep Boys. It includes the probe, relay and basic instructions. The same kit is available from the Summit catalog.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:47 AM
HD74
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, the temp probe at the top corner of the radiator, and works great.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:28 PM
skuzzel_butt
Junior User
i used this one from speedway motors
it uses the temp gauge as the sender and has **** on it to make adjustments to when the fan goes on and off. easy to set up and you can turn the fan on manually with the ****.

Electric Cooling Fan Controls

Old 06-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
I used one from Advance Auto Parts and it works great. Radiator probe with adjustments for high and low temps. Easy install and not expensive.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:43 PM
1oldtimer
Elder User
personally i hate those push in the fins style sending units.....unreliable and off. new cars use electric fans as primary coolers and how many do you see with those type of sending units......none. in the past on customers cars and on my flathead (dist in the way of the stock fan) i run the sending unit in the block/head. my flathead runs a hotronics relay and sending unit and hasn't missed a beat, comes on when it should and goes off when it should. remember to use a good relay as the fans pull some amps.

Hotronics

Old 06-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
The Push into the radiator fins sender works great. I have it on my Navigator and have checked the temp/fan operation with an infra red thermometer several times and its been working flawlessly for the past 4 months now.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:06 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
Thanks all for the input. With a 185 thermostat what should the temp sensor be set to start and end?

My ez wire fuse box has a 30 amp relay built in it so I had planned to use that.

Also, I found a 6 blade flex fan here and with my rad in place it lines up well, I may just have to go this route until I can recover from other expenses..

Old 06-03-2010, 12:57 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by norvillebob
Thanks all for the input. With a 185 thermostat what should the temp sensor be set to start and end?

My ez wire fuse box has a 30 amp relay built in it so I had planned to use that.

Also, I found a 6 blade flex fan here and with my rad in place it lines up well, I may just have to go this route until I can recover from other expenses..

I have mine set at 195 on and 175 off. My gage stays slightly below half way at all times and my engine seems happy and that makes me happy.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:14 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by norvillebob

I'll be using a 160 degree thermostat and the sensor turns the fan on at 185 and off at 170.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:53 PM
medicpg
Senior User
I have the probe type that goes in the radiator. Is there a way to convert that to use the temp sensor in the block?

Old 07-21-2010, 01:51 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by skuzzel_butt
i used this one from speedway motors
it uses the temp gauge as the sender and has **** on it to make adjustments to when the fan goes on and off. easy to set up and you can turn the fan on manually with the ****.

Electric Cooling Fan Controls

I use this same controller for my fans..

I actually use this relay control to control a local relay with direct power from the battery..
this reduces the power load thru the fusebox..

the sender in the intake manifold has varying degrees of ground resistance, and this allows you to adjust the time for the fan to kick on..

I currently use a 180 degree stat with my 460, but may move up to the 195.

sam

Old 07-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
My probe under the top rad hose style (to long ago to remember what kind) that I was using as an auxiliary to a flex fan stuck on one night. It was still running the next morning, Put a switch on it instead.