1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my new switch box done, what do you all think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:03 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kaj223
Looks great!
Thank you.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:04 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sarge261
That looks awesome, I'll rep you if I can, and you can put me inline for the mount with the 2 guage option.

I'll help build up that bulk order to keep the cost down.

Sarge

I made a mistake, I deducted from your rep. whaat a bone head I am ...sorry My big ole fingers do some wierd stuff on this lap top. I'll make it up to ya.

Now I can rep ya. I have to spread the love. Is there anyway a MOD can fix my stupidity. Mustang I am really sorry about that.
No worries Sarge... I have fat fingers too. I am hoping to have the two gauge pod plug done here in three to four weeks. I will let you know. Thanks!

Old 05-31-2010, 11:05 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TXHillCountry
Thanks! I've been planning on installing a set of Firestone bags, and that left section will be perfect for the guages/switches.

And I'll definitely be a customer for one of your new boxes for my Aux lighting switches!

Rgds,
TX
Sounds good, thank you! Yeah, the 650 dash is really nice, well worth the money!

Old 05-31-2010, 11:12 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Wow. That is awesome.

You are forcing me to start a list of truck mods to accomplish when I get home. Thankfully, I can just tell my wife it is your fault, TMP.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:08 AM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, I really like this! I love it when people make stuff that looks stock, but has the functionality that we want. I want to get a 650 dash someday... and that thing you made there would be perfect. I still have to "plan" it out in my head to find out if I'll need more gauges or more switches. We'll find out... reps to ya!

Old 06-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
How do you like having your brake controller that low? Right now mine is in the cubby hole and I really like it there. It's flat and easy to reach. Putting in a F650 dash would mean moving it to a similar location as yours. Not sure I would like it there especially in an emergency.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:56 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by redford
Wow. That is awesome.

You are forcing me to start a list of truck mods to accomplish when I get home. Thankfully, I can just tell my wife it is your fault, TMP.
Lol, well thank ya sir! Just let me know when you are ready for one... just be sure to save up and buy everything you need all at once, and add in a little on the top to cover for some flowers and a nice dinner to smooth things over.

Funny thing, when I bought the Saleen vert, I didn't tell Tiffany. She loved the car, but said "no more cars this year". That November I found the 350... technically NOT a car.
I sort of bought that without telling her, and she said "Okay, no more cars OR trucks for a year.".
Today I went to the Harley shop.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:57 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Monster-4
How do you like having your brake controller that low? Right now mine is in the cubby hole and I really like it there. It's flat and easy to reach. Putting in a F650 dash would mean moving it to a similar location as yours. Not sure I would like it there especially in an emergency.
Actually, it is not too bad. The TBC was originally at the bottom of the dash when I got the truck, and this makes it a lot more convenient for me. Thankfully though, I have not had to use the manual override... yet. Should the situation arise though, I can reach the override without my back coming off the seat hardly at all.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:58 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JonathanN
Wow, I really like this! I love it when people make stuff that looks stock, but has the functionality that we want. I want to get a 650 dash someday... and that thing you made there would be perfect. I still have to "plan" it out in my head to find out if I'll need more gauges or more switches. We'll find out... reps to ya!

Why thank you! Actually, why chose? The new model will have the same design with the switches and all, but will also have a lower section for two gauges. Best of both worlds. Thanks for the reps!

Old 06-01-2010, 08:19 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
Why thank you! Actually, why chose? The new model will have the same design with the switches and all, but will also have a lower section for two gauges. Best of both worlds. Thanks for the reps!
Oh shoot... I didn't read that! I'm DEFINITELY subscribed! Is this just for the pod, or is this for a complete, revised 650 dash? If it is the pod, is it just a replacement for the stock tray face, or do I loose the functionality of the ash tray (not that I use it... I don't smoke and I intend to keep it that way... I just like to try to maintain functionality).

Old 06-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Bossman7121
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
Like I said, I am not perfectly pleased with the fitment of the switches, so building a frenched in opening with a panel for the switches will allow a few things. First off, I will be able to align the switches securely and perfectly for a more professional appearance. Second, it will allow me to make interchangable plates, thus allowing any number of switches (up to five) or even different style switches. Lastly, it will give the switches a nice clean look, and will eliminate the "glow" that can be seen at the top of Carling switches that is not very noticable, but bugs me.
Think for a prototype you nailed it. Really nice job, and the best part is that you have ideas to keep improving ! Love that feeling as well. Don't be mad if I steal your idea ! haha.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:13 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks really good...honest.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:25 PM
DAVE67FD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe i have the same "switches" as your using. I think the name was 4x4 switches or similar. I like the switch itself but didn't have much luck with the reliability of the LED. The first one lasted about a week and the second about 3 weeks.

BTW Nice work on the console.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:50 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DAVE67FD
I believe i have the same "switches" as your using. I think the name was 4x4 switches or similar. I like the switch itself but didn't have much luck with the reliability of the LED. The first one lasted about a week and the second about 3 weeks.

BTW Nice work on the console.

Thank you! The switches are made by Carling, matches the OEM dash color nicely. So far I have not had a problem with them at all, knock on wood.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:54 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JonathanN
Oh shoot... I didn't read that! I'm DEFINITELY subscribed! Is this just for the pod, or is this for a complete, revised 650 dash? If it is the pod, is it just a replacement for the stock tray face, or do I loose the functionality of the ash tray (not that I use it... I don't smoke and I intend to keep it that way... I just like to try to maintain functionality).
No, just the pod. The F-650 dash can be had for around $90 from RiffRaff, already modded for switches. Clay can even color match the dash for you for a nominal fee, as our pod will be optioned as well. The pod will be a direct replacement for the ash tray or hook, depending on what your truck came with. Adding this pod will add a special function in your truck, as it will keep you from having to tell passengers that they cannot smoke in the truck. Once they look for the "not there" ash tray, they should get the hint. I am the same way, don't smoke and don't allow smoking in my vehicles or house.
Glad you like the pod, I should have the proto of V.2 done in three weeks or so, hope you like it as well.

Quick Reply: Got my new switch box done, what do you all think?