Old 05-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Irish816
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Visors: In-Channel or Tape On???

I'm looking at either buying
In-Channel Slimline Window Visors by EGR

or
Paint Matched Ventvisor® Window Visors by AVS (tape on)

Does anyone have experience with one or the other? If not those brands then any in-channel visors vs. tape on. Which are better and why? Thanks!!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:59 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the fit of my Weatherguard in channels but I have an XL with manual windows, the fit at the top might be too close for power windows, just an observation.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:46 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a set of oxford white WeatherTech visors for sale, they were great and didn't restrict the window movement. They were on the truck when I bought it, just not my style.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Irish816
Junior User
Originally Posted by LMS Residential
I like the fit of my Weatherguard in channels but I have an XL with manual windows, the fit at the top might be too close for power windows, just an observation.

I've checked out the weathergaurd in channels and they look good, but the "fit" with having inchannels is the one thing that is on my mind with having power windows. In-Channels seem like they would be better, or at least last longer, but tape-on would probably give a power window more space. Thanks. I'll wait for some more replys vs the two

Old 05-27-2010, 12:56 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Irish816
I've checked out the weathergaurd in channels and they look good, but the "fit" with having inchannels is the one thing that is on my mind with having power windows. In-Channels seem like they would be better, or at least last longer, but tape-on would probably give a power window more space. Thanks. I'll wait for some more replys vs the two
Glad you understood what I'm talking about. The last 2 inches shutting the window require some force, ok with roll ups but I would be cautious with power windows.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:05 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
The in-channel WeatherTech visors didn't affect my power windows at all.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:17 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Again, Im assuming the power window motors would not have the long term oomph for that last couple of inches. I'm glad to hear they do.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:37 AM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
I perfer the tape on ones as they give you alittle more room from the top of the windows. I have heard horror stories about the in channel causing issues with the power windows, but I did have one truck with them and never had any issues.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:20 AM
Irish816
Junior User
Originally Posted by scottzj
I perfer the tape on ones as they give you alittle more room from the top of the windows. I have heard horror stories about the in channel causing issues with the power windows, but I did have one truck with them and never had any issues.

How long do the tape on visors last? Like if someone barely grabs one on accident is the thing gonna come ripping off or are they stuck on pretty good? Snug enough where you can kinda pull on them, just to prove it lol? And how much of a pain in the *** are they to install well? Thanks!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:29 AM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
I have had them on one truck for 5 years with never once a problem. In fact most of the times they end up getting broken before they come off the truck. The main thing to remember is CLEAN the area with alcohol GOOD. Then put them on where you think you want them.....without removing the backing. Then once you decide, remove the starting point, while rest is on the truck and pull, with small amount of pressure while you are removing it. Then press it really hard to ensure its touching on all parts of the truck.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Irish816
Junior User
Originally Posted by scottzj
I have had them on one truck for 5 years with never once a problem. In fact most of the times they end up getting broken before they come off the truck. The main thing to remember is CLEAN the area with alcohol GOOD. Then put them on where you think you want them.....without removing the backing. Then once you decide, remove the starting point, while rest is on the truck and pull, with small amount of pressure while you are removing it. Then press it really hard to ensure its touching on all parts of the truck.

Thanks! That's the answer I was looking for. I'm gonna go with the tape-on

Old 06-17-2010, 11:48 AM
ib_jigged
New User
A friend of mine had the in channel ones on his F250 and after a couple years one broke. He tried to remove and was stuck to the weather stripping. It cost him $700 to replace the weather stripping inside the doors around the windows on all 4 doors. He now has the tape on kind.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:42 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Saw the tape on ones locally and thought they looked cheap. The in-channel ones I had looked way better. They were painted and I had no problems with them sticking to the weatherstripping.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:19 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ib_jigged
A friend of mine had the in channel ones on his F250 and after a couple years one broke. He tried to remove and was stuck to the weather stripping. It cost him $700 to replace the weather stripping inside the doors around the windows on all 4 doors. He now has the tape on kind.
Some brands do use tape in inchannels. WeatherTech only used them on the shorts one for the rear doors (except for some chevy's). EGR used tape on a couple applications. Wade used tape on all of them I did, and I suspect from what I've seen AVS also uses tape on all applications.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Irish816
Junior User
Originally Posted by cartmanea
Saw the tape on ones locally and thought they looked cheap. The in-channel ones I had looked way better. They were painted and I had no problems with them sticking to the weatherstripping.
Did your in-channel visors come painted or did you have to paint them? So far I've really only found tape on visors that I can get paint matched. I'm leaning towards the in-channel but I want the paint matched. Thanks

Quick Reply: Window Visors: In-Channel or Tape On???