General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Time to open up..

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 02:51 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
> Tomorrow, however... The battle starts over

I read a book about Mother Teresa and when she was asked how she managed to do all she did being a penniless nun that got off a train in a foreign land, her reply was it started when she gave a homeless beggar a quarter (about $.25 usa).

This reminded me of two important things I almost forgot myself today.

#1 The insurmountable problem or future is solved one step and one day at a time.

Her Faith through Charity brought Hope of a better tomorrow, so many times the best way to solve your own problems is by giving to someone else that can't pay you back. If you have ever worked at Toys For Tots in the warehouse stuffing orders into plastic bags you find out the real meaning of Christmas. It is probably one of the most somber and quiet places on Christmas eve.

#2 Every time I think I have a problem, I should thank God for my unknown blessings and for not being a poor homeless leper in the hell hole of Calcutta India.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:23 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,108 Likes on 4,191 Posts
Paul...hopefully by reading the many responses to your post you realize that you're not in this alone!!! You have your FTE family supporting you...lots of guys and gals who care about you!!! I see that many have offered their email addresses and their cell phone numbers...use them whenever you feel the need!!!

Good thoughts for a successful future for you!!!

Old 05-28-2010, 10:31 PM
mercman86
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hanklin
Have you ever thought about hanging around your local fire or police depts? Alot of them have programs for teens to build on such as explorers/cadets. Meet some new friends and hang around some great leaders. It saddens me to even speak of suicide, be stronger than that. Take care
x2!!

I was a loner most of my early life, kept very few friends. I was a police cadet from age 13-21. Best years of my life! Met tons of great people, its nice to have positive influences in your life when your a teenager! My fellow cadets and police officers were always there for me in tough times and I made life long friends. The town that I was in had police and fire cadets. Joining up with them doesnt mean you have to be a cop or fireman, but if your into community service, helping others and making friends and positive connections, a cadet/community service officer program is definately worth looking into! Whatever you do, stay away from POT and other drugs AND especially the people who abuse those substances; and do not use alcohol to drown your problems away. Getting messed up with those things especially while your a teenager will just lead you on a downward spiral. Hang in there buddy, we are all here to listen and give advice!

Old 05-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
Hey guys...

How's it going? Sorry I haven't been posting... I've been dealing with my truck...

It's getting to the point of annoyance, my truck. I can't make it a week without something breaking down.

Point of depression...
Why couldn't I get a truck that was actually already... drivable without worrying about if the turn signal worked that time?

Gah... I've got to go bed if I want to wake up anytime early to head to work... Hopefully my truck will make it to work...

Old 05-29-2010, 12:48 AM
76f350spercamprspeal
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Be Happy You Have a Job...!
I'd Kill for a Job!

Old 05-29-2010, 12:56 AM
Gottaford
Elder User
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Look up alateen meetings in your area, start here:
Welcome to Alateen

I don't know your city but this seems to be the local Web site for you:
North Carolina & Bermuda Al-Anon / Alateen Family Group _:|:_Hope for Families and Friends of Alcoholics

This isn't for alcoholic teenagers, it is for the kids of alcoholics because alcoholism
affects the entire family, not just the person using the drug. Go to some of the meetings,
listen to what others have to say, I'll bet you'll be inspired to add to the conversations
because a lot of the other children of alcoholics are going through the sane crap you are
and these are kids your age. I'll bet an awful lot of what other kids are saying is gonna
sound oh-so-familiar to you....

If you can find the right group, I bet it'll do you a world of good.
I agree, I agree, I totally with every inch of my soul agree. I've had a lot of problems in my life and I hit every possible outlet for help from counselors, to priests, preachers, psychiatrist, physiologists, your name it and the thing that worked best for me was Al Anon. I also went to AA just to get the alcoholics perspective. I just wish I would have gone to these meetings sooner. They changed my life, and how I live it now, one day at a time. And I'll bet they will change your outlook too. You'll be amazed.

Until you make up your mind, though, there have been some excellent suggestions from this fabulous group of people on FTE. Hold onto their words until you can find one of the Alateen/Al Anon groups in your area. And remember, bad times are given to you as lessons and to build character. So try learning from them instead of regretting them. Good luck to you my friend.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:35 AM
greenego
Senior User
Good morning Paul,

I hope that your days are getting better and that you are following up on, or at
least considering, some of the great suggestions for help from your friends at FTE.

Good luck with your truck today and I hope that you enjoy your job. Please have
another great day and keep looking forward. Best wishes from your friend in Maryland.

Doug

Old 05-29-2010, 08:30 AM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts
well you know what they say, if its got **** or wheels sooner or later its going to give you trouble, double if if its used when you get it. it is disappointing though when you have to fix your vehicle before you can drive it, but thats part of being young and buying a fixer up

Old 05-30-2010, 04:51 AM
greenego
Senior User
Good morning Paul,

Another day and I hope yours' goes well. Memorial Day weekend and a time
to reflect on the ultimate sacrifice that so many others made so that we can
have this day to enjoy.

May you have a pleasant and comforting Sunday. Just do your best to make
this day positive.

And, as always, hang tough for that brighter future that awaits you and enjoy
the rest of the weekend . Your friend in Maryland.

Doug

Old 05-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
Thanks for your morning notes Doug.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Today, however... not the best day.

My parents told me I had to choose: "You have to choose between driving your truck next semester or being in marching band. You need a job, and i'm not going to pay for your gas or your insurance."

Well... There goes that little bit of hope of happiness that I had... Even though no one in marching band wanted me in marching band anyways...

Old 05-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Gottaford
Elder User
Originally Posted by Wicked Endings
Thanks for your morning notes Doug.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Today, however... not the best day.

My parents told me I had to choose: "You have to choose between driving your truck next semester or being in marching band. You need a job, and i'm not going to pay for your gas or your insurance."

Well... There goes that little bit of hope of happiness that I had... Even though no one in marching band wanted me in marching band anyways...

My goodness young man, if stuff like this upsets you, then you have a rough road ahead of you. You're parents are merely teaching you responsibility... and even happiness, though that may be hard for you to believe. I commend them for that. So many parents make their kids lazy and irresponsible spoiled brats by making things too easy for them. Get a job and buy your own gas and insurance like so many others have to do. At least you are healthy enough to work. Try not being able to and having to be a prisoner of other peoples wills. Yes, I read about your other problems and a lot of good suggestions have been given in this thread for you to improve your quality of life, but now you are just sounding a bit whinny. Again, I suggest Alateen.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:14 PM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts
got to agree i never had a car given to me or had someone supply gas or insurance. none of my brothers or sisters were given it either. if we wanted to borrow dad's and go any distance we were expected to put in some gas, and it depended on if he could spare us the wheels. having your own wheels is nice but in reality in most cases its a luxury not a necessity

Old 05-30-2010, 06:09 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My first car/truck was my dads hand me down 1963 ranchero that was given to me in 1987. I had to spend my summer tearing it down and refreshing the body. My dad and uncle helped, but I did the grimy work. My dad painted it for me. I did not have a back window fore awhile cause the internet was not around and I had never heard of anyone remaking parts. I finally used a universal rubber to get it in. I had spun disc hubcaps cause I could not afford rims. Everyone thought it was a lowrider, but the suspension was just wore out. I could have made money off of the truck if I was smart, 'cause the smoke from the tailpipe was killing all the mosquitoes. The exhaust came from discarded pipe from a muffler shop and was held up by running coat hangars through the rusty floor and tying them around the pipe.

As I said before I grew up in a crappy place... that truck was my freedom. To have that freedom is a privilege. Having that responsibility is part of maturity and being grown up. Sacrifices have to be made.

Your parents are trying to give you that freedom to let you have your time. Be happy with what you have and make the right choices to get better than you have now. You will be a bigger man when you are grown than the kids that have everything handed to them. Those kids are the ones always asking me how to do things.

I can tell you that I never hated my dad, he never beat me, he never cursed me, he never drank, he never cursed, but I would get mad at him for not standing up for our family to my grandfather. My grandfather actually taught me a lot of the things I know and use today, but it was not a fun life. My dad is still on this earth and is one of my best friends. I speak with him 3 to 5 times daily. I do stuff with him weekly. I am lucky to have him. He has never judged me but has helped me out of all my bad choices. I hope to be as big a rock as he is one day.

You may be mad now but your parents will always be there. Times are very tough these days and I do not envy anyone trying to grow up in this world. It is not the same world I came up in. As I said before, let me know if you need to talk. Send me a pm and I will give you my number. I can answer my phone anytime. My calls are free so you will not cost me any minutes. I may not agree with you on things but I will listen to you as long as you listen to me.

You seem like a bright kid, or I should say man. You have probably had to do things that men should do since you were younger. I can really relate to that.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
I worked for my truck. The money wasn't handed to me.

I work for my gas and I work for my insurance. I've been riding on "E" for the last two days because I have no money because I had to pay for my insurance so I could continue driving.

I work for my grades in school.

There aren't a lot of things that make me... aggravated... But when people start calling me whinny... When they call me spoiled... That annoys me.

Not to be offensive, not to be rude...

But no one knows what i've been through. No one knows who my parents are or how they are.

I work for my things. I DO NOT get handed things. I WORK for my things and what freedom I do have, unlike most teenagers now. My sister, who does nothing if it doesn't benefit her get's handed things left and right. Money, items, etc. All I ask is for a little help monetary wise so I could expand my education.

I know the value of a dollar. I know the value of an education.

I want to go and continue my education in other degrees, and I'm getting punished for it?

Does that seem fair to you?

'Cause it sure don't seem fair to a 16 year old trying to have some sort of freedom, an expanded education. A sense of happiness.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:11 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Wicked Endings
But no one knows what i've been through. No one knows who my parents are or how they are.
Not trying to be a jerk here or in any way minimize or discredit you,
but... I can remember thinking that exact same line when I was a teenager.

Again, Alateen could do you wonders if you let it.

Quick Reply: Time to open up..