Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Tranmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:56 PM
A star
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranmission Question

I have a 1994 aerostar 3.0 . The freeze plug behind the transmission is bad. I am in the process of removing the transmission to get to the plug. My problem is this. The Haynes repair manual I am using shows a torque converter cover at the bottom of the transmission held in place by two bolts. The actual cover on my transmission is one solid sheet covering access to the converter bolts. It is held in place by the transmission bolts. I have removed all the transmission bolts but the two or three, at the top of the transmission, and the cover does not release. Do I loosen the remaining bolts and then remove the cover? I need to get to the torque converter to first mark it and then remove the converter bolts. How do i get the cover to come off?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 05-20-2010, 07:29 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
I think the Haynes manual must be for a very early version of that transmission. Most of the later models of Aerostar do not have that cover.

The procedure is to remove the starter and turn the engine with the crank bolt to position the torque converter so that you can get at the nuts holding it to the flex plate. There are 4, and I think they are 14mm. Don't forget about the 5mm bolt on the passenger side that attaches the plate to the bell housing. That cover plate sort of stays with the engine, as it's blocked by the flex plate, when you pull the transmission away.

I've read from a couple of sources that you should never turn the 3.0L engine backward, due to how its timing chain is set up, so always turn in the direction of normal rotation. (I don't know for sure why, but it's what I read.)

Old 05-22-2010, 11:20 AM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Worth repeating some advice above, DO NOT forget about that small 5mm bolt about midway up on the passenger side. Unless removed, it will really cause you a lot of aggravation trying to separate the transmission. You'll wind up yanking and tugging and eventually bending the aluminum plate. With all fasteners removed, it should slide apart easily.

Last point, you will need the van as high as you can go on jackstands and the lowest tranny jack you can find to have sufficient room to slide the transmission out from under the van. You will be tempted to tilt the tranny nose down to gain clearance, then the converter will slide off and fluid will be leaking everywhere. Before trying to get the tranny out from under the van, see if you can find a plastic cap for the converter snout or pick up a 1-1.25 inch plumber's test plug, a simple rubber plug with a big wing nut(Home Depot). You push it into the TC snout then screw down the wing nut to seal the fluid against leakage. You can keep the converter from sliding off by using a piece of 6x1x0.25 inch scrap metal (or something similar). Drill a 3/8 inch hole in one end and bolt it on one of the tranny attachment lugs. Bend the other end inwards until it touches the converter. This will keep the converter from sliding off and allow you more "wiggle room" to get the tranny from beneath the van. Same piece of scrap can be used the reverse manner when re-installing the transmission.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:01 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
I need to make a correction: that little bolt is 5/16 inch or 8 millimeter, not 5mm.

Once you separate the transmission from the engine, you should be able to just pull off the torque converter and set it over your catch pan to let it drain. It's a great way to do a complete flush of the system, and you don't have to worry about it falling off while wheeling around the transmission.