1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

223 single bbl. 12 gen. questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:12 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Well you're going to get a reply anyway.

First if you want to measure whether or not your generator regulator is passing current at the right voltage then measure the voltage - and do it at the solenoid.

That's quite a bit of a different task and test than trying to ascertain if your charging system is working at all - ie producing electricity measured in amps.

Electricity has too many variables to hunt and peck through trouble shooting, you need to educate yourself a little bit more with the resources that are already here and posted . My re-post o fthis info was an attempt to do that for you. If you can't appreciate the fact that people are taking the time and making the effort to help you by trying to teach you how things work, or you don't like the way people explain things to you here, then go wherever you are comfortable - and don't let the screen door ........

What I have a shortfall of patience with is when this question gets asked and answered three times a week and people are too lazy to do a little research (like look 5 posts down on the forum page) to find the answer. I have typed and posted this info here myself at least 20 -25 times.

I just spent 2 weeks writing and typing up a paper - that "Crash Course" on electrical theory, installation and testing - if you had bothered to read it. Also, the method you seek is very well discussed in your shop manual - if you have even bothered to buy one of those.

There is an intelligent and responsible way to procede through our "Hobby," and there's a stupid way to do it. Expecting to have information spoon fed to you isn't going to get you very far. Do a little homework and teach yourself something.

Your problem (with the truck) has too many variables to try and troubleshoot in an internet chat. RTFM!
Holy Cow!!!! I get tied up for a few days and miss all the fireworks...

....seems like this thread fell into the wrong part of the old 28 day cycle (ducks head and runs for cover)

I think a healthy case of "Lighten Up" is called for here

Bobby

Old 05-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Holy Cow!!!! I get tied up for a few days and miss all the fireworks...

....seems like this thread fell into the wrong part of the old 28 day cycle (ducks head and runs for cover)

I think a healthy case of "Lighten Up" is called for here

Bobby
You're entitled to your opinion, but there's no reason to get personal or be a jerk about it Bobby!

You guys always use the "28 day cycle" cliche when you derogatorily reach out to tweek some ones nose, and justifiably get slapped back.

If you don't like "pushbacks" guys, then don't "push" in the first place - especially when someone is making an effort to help you.

There was way too much "tone" read into my initial answers by the OP that wasn't there and he ego reacted. I'd think you guys would know better by now - no matter what "day" it is.

Maybe if I just said cool, good ol' boy stuff all the time instead of trying to teach folks some fundamentals, and let them fry a few gauges, generators, harnesses, maybe get a few shocks or burns, there wouldn't be so much "personalization" by the few complainers-along with the "Peanut Gallery" - and they would listen to the input as it was intended - stricktly technical and to help them out. If you want to get upity about it - hey, I'll tango!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:37 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
You know, I really shouldn't make any kind of reply here.....

...but you know I just can't help it, that's just the kind of smart-alek jerk that I am...LOL

I refere back to my orignal statement about the "cycle"

If you noticed I recanted the 28 day part of the statement as obviously there's some kind of ripple in the space-time continuum or the inertial dampers are offline or something like that.....

...anyways. I'm done now, give me a big verbal slap if you need to, you can have the last word

Bobby

Old 05-25-2010, 01:43 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Final word:

The reference was simply unnecessary and inappropriate. And Bobby, I know you know better and are better than that.

Lets move on!