Sponsored by:

Considering a new Head Unit, with NAV/DVD...etc? Check this;

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:09 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime
There is a tad bit more lag, apparently due to Alpine being dual core processor and the Kenwood isn't (so I hear). I've gotten used to the boot up time (I drive a diesel) as I try not to be in a hurry, and sit while the truck warms up..............

I should note...

The backup camera comes on, no matter if the head unit isn't completely booted up when you go into reverse. So, it makes it nice for when you first get into the vehicle and (most of us) and back up needing the camera. It also makes the boot up time seem shorter, or not so noticeable.

I'm really getting used to this model and brand head unit, and the more I use it... the more I like it. In fact, I've sat in my buds two other trucks with new Alpine Dual Din Nav units, and still like this unit much better. From it's NAV display, to the user interface, to the complexity and amount of tuning you can do... and me being able to plug into it, and upload/download from my laptop.

... I'd definitely buy another one (and am thinking about it for my Fiance's Tahoe).

Old 05-28-2010, 12:41 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
I know we all like pictures.... so let me add some, of the unit I'm using... as I simply am loving it everytime I play with it (pun intended)

When mine boots up, I changed the "splash" screen to show my EX... (repost I think)

I added a background, so that you see my EX and the Ford logo in most all 'source' screens. Like FM, XM, iPod...etc

The sources, all listed on one page (except NAV and Standby);

The backup license plate camera... can be used full screen (auto as you go into reverse or hold down a button while driving);

Or as picture in picture, when in NAV mode;

That back up cam, can be changed to show the movie being played as well if you care to watch as you drive and navigate. Pretty slick

The navigation, works great... in any screen (2D and 3D heads up display)

3D

2D (after touching the screen, or you can display this in NAV mode)

It even has a trip computer... where you can plug in fuel costs, and other trip information... for it to give you a summary of that information;

You can check your satellite signal;

.... any questions, let me know!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 07:24 AM
vinnyfl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice install! I have a question on the rear DVD mods you did.
Does your factory rear DVD player still function? I am having a hel of a time getting it to work. I powered up the ASYSON and now can eject DVD's but no video. Does yours play? (I have a 2005 EX Limited)

UPDATE ON "GAPS";

My installer bud... told me he could tighten up the side gaps and make it even a cleaner install (he was not trying to hurt my feelings I think on my craftmanship, or lack of) with the faceplate ABS that came with the unit. In time, I'll allow him to carve into it.

REAR ENTERTAINMENT;

I was able to splice into my rear entertainment DVD system and get the video into the overhead monitor (using my head unit as 'source'), and also still be able to use the overhead DVD/headphones...etc. For the Overhead OEM unit, I wanted to use it as a movie player too... and/or show it's movie on my dash screen. That was a pain... but, it too works.

See here for "input" photos; https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post8875962

And here for "output" photos; https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post8867725

... My installer friend, asked me not to put up this info (even though I did the work)... but, us EX owners need to stick together. So, please be secretive to who you pass it around to! As much as a public forum is 'secret' ...

Old 06-20-2010, 09:25 AM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Originally Posted by vinnyfl
Nice install! I have a question on the rear DVD mods you did.
Does your factory rear DVD player still function? I am having a hel of a time getting it to work. I powered up the ASYSON and now can eject DVD's but no video. Does yours play? (I have a 2005 EX Limited)
Yes it does....

Did you see this forum, and this post(?);
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post8867725
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post8875962

Old 06-20-2010, 01:03 PM
vinnyfl
New User
Yes I read this thread several times. I see that tdappleman used an aftermarket DVD player, he (like me) got the DVD to eject DVD's but no video. But no clear definition on how to use the factory setup. I am just wanting to use the wireless setup. No sound needed.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:51 PM
christianpaul1968
New User
hi all
i fitted a double din DVD it looks great and came with surround trims so no gaps it has loads of features ie dvd,cd,tv,bluetooth,4 camera ports,
my ex also has dividing partition to seperate front seats with sliding tv for rear pasengers with seperate dvd systerm so we can have music dvd on up front and kids have film on in back.
as hanna montanna would say its frigging awsome man!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:27 PM
DOM92
New User
looks awesome.......do you think the install would be similar on an '04 F250? I have been considering the DXN6160 model but am hesitant since the truck isn't a double din space

Old 06-25-2010, 09:58 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Originally Posted by DOM92
looks awesome.......do you think the install would be similar on an '04 F250? I have been considering the DXN6160 model but am hesitant since the truck isn't a double din space
Excursions aren't a double din space either. They are din and a half.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:51 PM
PI360
New User
Where can I get the image you use for bootup?

I am not talented enough to design one myself.

Thanks!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:18 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Originally Posted by PI360
I am not talented enough to design one myself.

Thanks!
I built my own...

But here, if you ask nicely... someone will help you out;
KenwoodForums.com • View topic - How To: Custom Startup Screen

Enjoy!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:54 PM
PI360
New User
Sweet! I'll check it out! Thanks!!!

Old 11-02-2010, 10:55 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Put one of these in my Dad's F350 a month or two ago... he just drove across state lines and put it to his test. He loved it, and used every piece of it. Even put some of his favorite songs (Slim Whitman!?) on a USB memory card to enjoy.

.... he loves it.

Even funnier, is when he called and asked me where the local food place was... and I asked, "why not use the Kenwood to look them up for you?" He had forgotten about it, and used it to find a HOOTERs of all places! Then the next morning, a Starbucks. Using bluetooth, and the POI info to call them... all from the head unit.

Such a killer unit. Works seamless!

I'll have to take a few pictures of his installed, so you can see that dash with this unit. No gaps, as his is the newer dash ('07 I think). I'll update when I get the pics!

Old 11-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, Johnny,

On your advice, I just ordered a DNX9960 as well. My 'old' Pioneer AVIC D2 was not possible to upgrade to Bluetooth. So...

Thanks for all the info.

On a related topic--has anyone ever connected 2 cameras to one of these head units? I am thinking about mounting a camera on the rear of our big trailer...

Old 11-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Red Ex
Senior User
Originally Posted by Forest
On a related topic--has anyone ever connected 2 cameras to one of these head units? I am thinking about mounting a camera on the rear of our big trailer...
I have a camera mounted on the back of our trailer. I unplug the Ex backup camera and plug in the TT - works great. Really helps in heavy traffic to see when you have room to change lanes.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Ex
I have a camera mounted on the back of our trailer. I unplug the Ex backup camera and plug in the TT - works great. Really helps in heavy traffic to see when you have room to change lanes.
Do you have a connector close to your trailer hitch? What sort of cable do you run the length of your trailer? Any length limitations? I would need to have an extra 40 - 45' of cable for camera on trailer.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Considering a new Head Unit, with NAV/DVD...etc? Check this;