Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Dual Exhaust Q&A

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:25 AM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual Exhaust Q&A

The guy at Discount Muffler wants to put 2 1/4" pipe true duals on the truck with glass packs for $350 + tax. I want 2 1/2" but he says that because the exhaust manifolds are 2 1/4", he thinks i'm throwing my money away. 2 1/2" duals with glass packs would be around $370 plus.

I can also run them together in a single, large muffler and come out of that with 3" or 3 1/4", which he says would give a deeper sound. Not sure if i want a deeper sound or a little louder one.

And where should I have them run the pipes? Duals out the back? There's no spare tire rack on the truck right now but i really need to put one on, and he said that he'd have to route the pipes around it AFTER I put it on. Anyone dump duals out behind each wheel?

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
All depends on what you want, if you want that annoying cackling sound you'll get from small pipe and glass packs then thats what you should do.

If you want a nice running, nice sounding system do 2.25 head pipes and blend them into a single 3.5 (3.25 if you want) into a full flowing muffler then wherever you want to dump them out. Just make sure the 2.25 is well blended into the 3.5, not restrictive like stock.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 05-01-2010, 11:33 AM
greywynd
Posting Guru
If you pull trailers, dumping them straight out the back isn't a good idea from most guys I know that have tried it! The trailer ends up with crap all over it, and that is coming from guys that were running gassers!

Old 05-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would exit behind the rear wheels, or if you want to be a little different, have them exit at the rear corners of the truck.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:36 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Went with 2.5" and exit behind each rear wheel. She likes the open flow.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:05 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
nice! don't forget them pics and or vid!

Old 05-01-2010, 06:13 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Old 05-01-2010, 06:18 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
nice! hey them are long glass packs.long and duel like that,i bet it's not to loud.or does she bark at ya pretty hard under load/WOT?

did you notice any gain off idle with the duals,or mainly less restrictive while going down the road?
at any rate,that's a sweet clean install.congrats!

that just set ya back a dollar,but perhaps latter on,you may or may not want to,but here's what i'd do with this setup.

right here,in front of trans cross member(if possible.the closer to the engine the better) would be to install an H pipe.all it is,is connecting both pipes.it's said to equalize pressure between the two pipes,for a smoother sounding tone.also said to help low end off idle torque/throttle response.
would be totally cool to hear someone with the IDI who ran duels with and without and H pipe.just an idea.
man,that's cool.

H pipe:
http://www.streetperformance.com/ART...9953608FLT.jpg

H and X pipe hp/trq gain with some dyno tests info:
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...l-exhaust.html

Old 05-01-2010, 06:19 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Not too loud, but i do need new exhaust doughnuts at the manifold. The driver side one is shot and it clicks a bunch plus i hear the engine more.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:18 PM
mabc926
Elder User
Looks nice!

I'm with FORDF250HDXLT though think about the H pipe.

And another thing...whats with the zip tie? lol

Old 05-01-2010, 09:28 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by mabc926
Looks nice!

I'm with FORDF250HDXLT though think about the H pipe.

And another thing...whats with the zip tie? lol
No idea on the zip tie. There's a lot of strange things that the farmer did to this truck before i got my hands on it.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:52 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya got a bolt-action in that truck? No way you could run the pipes like that with a monster like the E4OD... I'll be doing something similar soon, only pipes will be in the over-under configuration, into my Flowmaster di-so muffler (currently used as a si-do setup, but it's reversible), with a 3" pipe all the way out back (can't exit on the side cause of mu mudflaps and the lights on them and the wires that power them)...Gotta get my new tank in first tho, cause that one will take up all sorts of space under there.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:29 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
overall it is nice!! the corners are crushed down but hey, such is life! So that guy did that for 350ish? Wow if so. Still cant believe that he would have installed it like this without dropping the pipes down from the manifolds. If he did drop it down then he was a peniz for not cleaning the rest of the pipe up. hahaha. Nice pipes bro! nice pipes!!

Old 05-02-2010, 12:32 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Originally Posted by lemonshindig
Not too loud, but i do need new exhaust doughnuts at the manifold. The driver side one is shot and it clicks a bunch plus i hear the engine more.
you hear the engine more because the new pipe is single wall. I think that is why ford did that to them, the double walled pipe from the manifolds i mean. When i did mine, it sounded like something went wrong, like i had sticking valves. Get used to it, i re did the flanges and everything, still chattery. But with my new magnaflow, i make vettes jealous. hahaha.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:38 AM
kpjr
Junior User
Does an H-pipe make a different with regards to turbo or non-turbo diesels? I have seen a lot of H-pipe setups in street racer tuned cars w/o ever knowing what it was doing. I learn something new every day.

Quick Reply: Dual Exhaust Q&A