1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you tired of the auto lock feature?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 09:34 AM
garymake
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got tired of having to walk aroud my truck to the drivers side every time I wanted to open the passenger door. The doors always locked on me every time I moved the truck (the autolock feature) when I got out, I would forget to unlock the doors and then when I needed to get something from the passengers side, the door was locked.

Well, problem solved! After reading through my manual I found the following informaiton about the autolock feature:

Autolock (if equipped)

This feature automatically locks all vehicle doors when the following conditions are met:

- all doors are closed, and
-the brake is pressed before reaching 8 km/h (5 mph), and
-the ignition is in the RUN position and the vehicle is traveling more than 8 km/h (5 mph).

Relock

The autolock feature repeats when the following conditions are met:

- any door is opened then closed while the ignition is in the RUN
position, and
- the brake is pressed before reaching 8 km/h (5 mph), and
- the vehicle is travleing more than 8 km/h (5 mph).

Deactivating/activating the autolock feature

Before following the procedure, make sure that the ignition is OFF and all vehicle doors are closed.

You must complete steps 1-7 within 30 seconds or the procedure will have to be repeated. If the procedure needs to be repeated, you must wait 30 seconds.

1. Turn the ignition key to ON.
2. Press the power door unlock control three times.
3. Turn the ignition key from ON to OFF.
4. Press the power door unlock control three times.
5. Turn the ignition back to ON. The horn will chirp.
6. Press the unlock control, then press the lock control. The horn will chirp once if autolock was deactivated or twice (one short and one long chirp) if autolock was activated.
7. Turn the ignition to OFF. The horn will chirp once to confirm the
procedure is complete.

Now, the doors lock when I want them to (when I press the lock button). I have used this procedure to disable the auto lock feature on several F150s as well.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-30-2003, 11:54 AM
Waxy
Postmaster

One of the first things I disconnected. It drives me nuts.

I think the belt minder was first.

Waxy

Old 01-30-2003, 12:24 PM
garymake
Senior User

I have disabled the "key in ignition" chime, the Belt Minder and the Autolock features. Now if I could just mute that whine I'm getting from the passenger seat, I'd be set!

Old 01-30-2003, 02:22 PM
vinny8
Senior User

Great info on how to disable the Auto Lock..I'll try it this weekend...now..about the Belt Minder thing. I printed the instructions from the FAQ to disable it. I know I did it right..but...
Here is what happens...I start the truck...and a bell is chiming..which goes away when I put my seat belt on. If I immediately take the belt off the chime doesn't come back on..and the RED seat belt doesn't light on the dash. So I figure all is well...but..can I get rid of the annoying chime/bell that sounds when I leave the truck running in the driveway while I unload horse stuff/groceries/whatever? It's really annoying..chimes/buzzes for about 5-7 sec.....stops..repeats..apparently as long as the truck is running. It appears to be a Belt Minder because the RED seat belt reminder also flashes on the dash... or is it something else..and can I get rid of it
Thanks,
Lisa

Old 01-30-2003, 02:48 PM
garymake
Senior User

The Chime (6-8 beeps) you hear when you first start the truck is not the BeltMinder.

As far as it going off periodically when you are loading or unloading while you engine is running with the door open, I don't think that's right??? Do you have something in the seat that is making the computer think someone is sitting there? Or are you refering to the Key in the ignition chime (is it a 3-5 second burst every couple of minutes or a steady beep beep beep)?

Anyway, back to the BeltMinder...

When you buckle and unbuckle your seatbelt you are performing the One time disable of the BeltMinder feature.

This is what is written in my User's Guide for my '02 F250 (emphasis is mine to clarify the explanation):

One time disable

Any time the safety belt is buckled and then unbuckled during an
ignition ON cycle, BeltMinder will be disabled for that ignition cycle only.

Deactivating/activating the BeltMinder feature

Read steps 1 - 9 thoroughly before proceeding with the
deactivation/activation programming procedure.

The BeltMinder feature can be deactivated/activated by performing the following procedure:

Before following the procedure, make sure that:

- The parking brake is set.
- The gearshift is in P (Park) (automatic transmission) or the neutral position (manual transmission).
- The ignition switch is in the OFF position.
- All vehicle doors are closed.
- The driver’s safety belt is unbuckled.
- The parklamps/headlamps are in OFF position (If vehicle is equipped with Autolamps, this will not affect the procedure).

To reduce the risk of injury, do not deactivate/activate the Belt
Minder feature while driving the vehicle.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN (or ON) position. (DO NOT START THE ENGINE.)
2. Wait until the safety belt warning light turns off. (Approximately 1–2 minutes.)
Steps 3–5 must be completed within 60 seconds or the procedure will have to be repeated.
3. Buckle then unbuckle the safety belt three times, ending with the safety belt unbuckled. This can be done before or during BeltMinder warning activation.
4. Turn on the parklamps/headlamps, turn off the Parklamps/headlamps.
5. Buckle then unbuckle the safety belt three times, ending with the safety belt unbuckled.
After step 5 the safety belt warning light will be turned on for three seconds.
6. Within seven seconds of the safety belt warning light turning off, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt. This will disable BeltMinder if it is currently enabled, or enable BeltMinder if it is currently disabled.
7. Confirmation of disabling BeltMinder is provided by the safety belt warning light flashing four times per second for three seconds.
8. Confirmation of enabling BeltMinder is provided by:
- The safety belt warning light flashing four times per second for three seconds.
- Followed by three seconds with the safety belt warning light off.
- Once again, the safety belt warning light will flash four times per
second for three seconds.

9. After receiving confirmation, the deactivation/activation procedure is complete.

This is the procedure I followed to disable my beltminder. I had to do it two or three times before I got the sequence/timing right.

Pay close attention to the parts in RED - this is how the computer tells you that it is keeping up with you and you are indeed successfully deprogramming the beltminder.

NOTE: This does not disable the initial chime when you first start your engine (6 or 8 beeps). This only disable the obnoxious BeepBeepBeepBeepBeep you get every minute or two while driving down the road without the belt buckled.

Last edited by garymake; 01-30-2003 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:02 PM
rednekf350
Senior User

Hey Garymake!
What's the secret to disabling the key in ignition chime?
I would love to get rid of that so I can listen to the radio outside the truck without the chime.
On my older trucks I used to be able to find the chime and yank the wiring off.I can't seem to find the chime.
Any help will be appreciated.
Scott

Old 01-31-2003, 07:41 PM
kaufman_sm
New User
Unhappy Are you tired of the auto lock feature?

Does disabling the auto lock affect the keyless entry or will that still function normally ?

Old 01-31-2003, 09:00 PM
garymake
Senior User

The Keyless entry still works fine with the autolock disabled (all disabling the autolock does is stop the truck from locking the doors for you when you put it in gear - everything else works as it did before).

As far as the Key in the ignition chime, the actual chime is a integral part of the trucks electronics and therefore cannot be removed without messing up other things. So, the next best thing is to disable the "key in ignition" sensor.

There are two ways to do this. You can use the method outlined by JC in an earlier thread or you can use the method outlined in the SuperDuty FAQ. I used JC's procedure.

Here is JC's procedure:

--------------------------------------------
There was numerous posts about this very subject around 4 months ago on the old forums. All it takes to disable the "key in ignition" chime is to disconnect one wire.

1. Remove panel under dash.
2. Locate the brown six wire connector on the right side of the steering column.
3. Find the black with pink stripe wire.
4. Unplug connector.
5. Remove the red hiky that holds the wires into the connector. (if I remember correctly, that's how they're held in)
6. Remove the black with pink stripe wire.
7. Tape or heat shrink loose wire.
8. Plug connector back in and reinstall panel.

That's it, only takes like 5 minutes and you don't even have to destroy anything. Another nice thing about it is all the other things that use the chime still work. (lights on, door ajar, etc.) I've had it disconnected for four months now with no side effects.

--------------------------------------------

For me, the color of the connector under the dash was Grey but everything else was the same (the sensor wire was black with a pink stripe). Taking apart the connector was a little tedious but it was something I felt comfortable with.

I did not feel comfortable taking apart the ignition as outlined in the FAQ but those that have taken the route have said that that procedure is easy as well.

In either case, the sensor no longer sends the signal to the computer and you no longer have that annoying chime whenever you open the door.

Good Luck!! If you have any questions, let us know and we'll help out however we can!

Last edited by garymake; 01-31-2003 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:47 AM
COMT
New User

I'm really glad I read this thread. The autolock feature has been driving me nuts. I guess I should be reading the owners manual instead of Four-Wheeler.

About the seatbelt nagging, my solution to that has been to disconnect the seatbelt buckle switch under the seat. It's a two-conductor connector with a black and a "blue stripe on brown" wire. Disconnecting this makes the truck think the seat belt is always buckled.

Disabling the belt minder didn't help me. I wear my seatbelt, but buckling-up is the last thing I do before releasing the parking break and taking off. It was really irritating to have to listen to the truck pester me to do something I'm going to do anyway.

Old 02-02-2003, 12:35 PM
kaufman_sm
New User
Talking Are you tired of the auto lock feature?

I did what it said in the owners manual to disable the auto lock , It worked great. I'm glad I check this web site regularly.

Old 07-07-2003, 03:10 PM
garymake
Senior User

I've received some requests regarding the info in this thread, so 'bump'....

Old 09-02-2003, 03:32 PM
garymake
Senior User

bump - for those who haven't read this thread but want to disable some of those irritating chimes...

Old 09-15-2003, 10:11 AM
garymake
Senior User

folks are still looking for this info - bump