1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Attempting turbo removal.. Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:49 PM
EMD_DRIVER
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Attempting turbo removal.. Need advice

My 94's up pipe donut gaskets were leaking badly, so I decided to tear into the replacement today. I had to cut the manifold to pipe flange bolts, since the ones on it were rusted beyond recognition. Even soaking everything overnight in penetrating oil didn't help.

I got two of the three EBPV housing bolts out, but the back one rounded off. Those bolt heads were also very badly rusted. If I could get the down pipe out, I'd be able to use a bolt-out on it. I'm in need of some suggestions on getting that bolt out.

I'm also not having any luck, getting the driver's side pedestal bolt out. So far, I've broken two 10mm universal sockets.. I'd have broken more, but Sears closed on me....

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.. I need my truck, to go to work next week!

Old 04-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, they are a PIA! I hated messing with mine yesterday with as jammed up as they were, and trying to get in there with the turbo housing in the way.

The only thing I can suggest, especially the one located in the back drivers side, is angling a drill in there and buzzing off the head. Then when the turbo comes off, you have access to whats left to tap out.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:47 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Do you still have the stock downpipe? You won't get that out without cutting it out of the way. I was going to suggest getting a different downpipe, putting it back together for now, and working on it when the downpipe comes. Then I read you already cut some bolts off so that probably won't work. Is there any way to get in there and cut that head off and deal with it when you get it out?

As far as that rear drivers pedestal bolt, well..................IT DOES SUCK to get out, we all know. Mine broke loose the first time I got a good hold of it, which took long enough the way it was. I wish I had a good solution for you but I just used a 1/4" drive 10mm socket, 1/4" swivel and some more adaptors and extensions up to 1/2" drive ratchet. I used craftsman tools also.

I didn't want to ever deal with that again so I eliminated my ebpv off of the pedestal completely. It was a breeze to install that way and will be so easy if I need to remove it again.

I wasn't the best help here but bumped you up so hopefully someone else can help.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:34 AM
EMD_DRIVER
More Turbo

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Is there any way to get in there and cut that head off and deal with it when you get it out?

As far as that rear drivers pedestal bolt, well..................IT DOES SUCK to get out, we all know. Mine broke loose the first time I got a good hold of it, which took long enough the way it was. I wish I had a good solution for you but I just used a 1/4" drive 10mm socket, 1/4" swivel and some more adaptors and extensions up to 1/2" drive ratchet. I used craftsman tools also.

I didn't want to ever deal with that again so I eliminated my ebpv off of the pedestal completely. It was a breeze to install that way and will be so easy if I need to remove it again.

I wasn't the best help here but bumped you up so hopefully someone else can help.
I could probably get a dremel in there, but I'd be grinding blind.. I don't like that prospect...

The two swivels I broke were both Craftsman... Wait, I actually broke three of them.. One had a 10mm socket on the end of it and two had the 10mm built-in to them. I may try a different combination of extensions. I'll try putting the 1/4 to 3/8 adapter directly onto the swivel.. I have been coming up from the swivel, with a 1/4 extension.

Oddly enough, the first swivel I broke had a 1/4 ratchet at the end... I never went up to 3/8 on it..

I hope I get this thing fixed today.... I need it for work tomorrow!

Old 04-25-2010, 11:38 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Good luck. I here you about grinding blind, maybe someone could hold a mirror and light so you could see? Just throwing out ideas I guess. If you take the hood off can you see back there easier? Not too many options to work from. I can't believe you broke the swivel with a 1/4" ratchet. I had some serious torque on my 1/2" drive ratchet and didn't break the swivel.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:54 PM
EMD_DRIVER
More Turbo

I managed to get the turbo off, without moving the EBPV housing. The up pipes just fell out of the collector, so that made the removal easy. I got the collector in the vise, to get the flanges and old gaskets out and broke one of the flange bolts off. I'm pretty much screwed now, unless I can get the broken piece out. I tried heating the collector and using an easy out, but the heat destroyed the easy out... Tat was the only one I had...

On another note... The passenger side up pipe fell out from under the truck pretty easy. The driver's side will not come out. There's not enough clearance between the firewall and the transmission. Trying to get it out the bottom is also fruitless, as it hits the exhaust manifold.