2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snapped Front Coil Spring

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 06:32 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
I had a broken coil on my truck at 120k . I replaced both front struts with the rancho quicklifts. With that many miles I figured why not. The strut and bushings probably needed replaced anyway and I got 2" of lift up front so the truck is almost level. Just remember to always replace springs and/or struts in pairs.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 PM
rogersmithiii
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just took my 2004 F150 Screw in for abnormal wear on new tires, and they found two broken front springs.

And I've never offroaded my truck either.

Calling Tasca now to order parts.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 PM
rogersmithiii
New User
Deleting comment. Already in reply.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:17 PM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
You have to remove the entire strut/spring assembly, then put a spring compressor on the spring to take the tension off. Undo the top center nut on the cap, that allows the cap to be removed. Then let the tension off the spring. Take it off slip the new one on, compress it. Put the cap back on and tighten the nut back down. Put strut/spring assembly back in. Its easier if you undo the top ball joint too. Ive never done it with a cheapo spring compressor. Ive always used a big bench mount one.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by rogersmithiii
Calling Tasca now to order parts.
Check out Tousley Ford Parts (now AutoNation). Their prices can't be beat.

AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake Parts (previously Tousley Ford Parts)

Stewart

Old 01-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Kathleen McNeil
New User
Broken Coil Spring

I have a broken coil spring as well.

It was discovered yesterday when the shop was checking my brakes.

Had the rear brakes and rotors replaced yesterday. However, in October I was in an accident as well. A van t-boned a van and the van airborned onto the hood of my truck.

Do you think the weight of the van may have snapped it?

Old 03-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Runkster
New User
Found a brroken drivers side spring on mine. Found a chunk of the spring lying in the driveway. Looks like I am just going to buy the replacement strut assemblies on rock auto for $113 each.

Ended up going with Anazon for $246.90 for the pair and free 2 day shipping.

Also found this install video for the Rancho quick lift shocks..should be same install procedure.

Last edited by Runkster; 03-29-2014 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 08-03-2014, 09:35 PM
ty4052
New User
I was doing a leveling kit on my 05 f150 fx4. My drivers side coil spring looked the exact same. I just bought this truck in January. Traded in my 7.3 for it. This spring was broken long before I bought the truck, judging by the rust build up on the broken spring. Something else to check before I give a dealer a check in the future. I'm hoping to find a new to me strut assembly tomorrow at a junkyard. A few weeks ago I was sitting in my truck and heard a loud thud and felt my truck shake. I guess it was the spring snapping down to where it was when I found it today. I wasn't expecting to have a busted spring, that's for sure. Hopefully this will be an easy and inexpensive replace so I can finish my leveling kit. BTW for anyone interested in leveling their truck, I purchased the 2" motofab lift off amazon for $74. Its good quality but takes a lot longer than 2 hrs to complete. Hopefully I'll be able to post before and after pictures tomorrow!

Old 08-04-2014, 07:00 AM
danorules
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ty4052
I was doing a leveling kit on my 05 f150 fx4. My drivers side coil spring looked the exact same. I just bought this truck in January. Traded in my 7.3 for it. This spring was broken long before I bought the truck, judging by the rust build up on the broken spring. Something else to check before I give a dealer a check in the future. I'm hoping to find a new to me strut assembly tomorrow at a junkyard. A few weeks ago I was sitting in my truck and heard a loud thud and felt my truck shake. I guess it was the spring snapping down to where it was when I found it today. I wasn't expecting to have a busted spring, that's for sure. Hopefully this will be an easy and inexpensive replace so I can finish my leveling kit. BTW for anyone interested in leveling their truck, I purchased the 2" motofab lift off amazon for $74. Its good quality but takes a lot longer than 2 hrs to complete. Hopefully I'll be able to post before and after pictures tomorrow!
Napa has the whole assembly for about $225 if I remember correctly. If you have the $ you should get new, you won't want to go through all of this again in a few months when the used one snaps.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 AM
ty4052
New User
That is a good idea. There's a Napa right down the road from me. I'll give them a call. Thanks!

Old 07-19-2015, 03:47 PM
Ford2004
New User
What do you guys think my coil broke, and I have 24"s on my truck and the steering wheel has done a lot of shaking , and I do a lot of traveling. And my coil just snapped what do you think the reason could be. I have a 2004 f150

Old 07-20-2015, 07:33 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most likely it's the manufacturing process. They are making coils thinner and lighter and in order to get the spring rate that's required they are heat treated. The end product is a material that is harder and more brittle than in days past. As the springs compress and expand as required to smooth out bumps they are subjected to heat cycles and corrosive elements that weaken them to the point that they snap. F-150's aren't the only vehicles effected by this. I've seen it happen on Taurus and Sable as well as other brands. I have had one snap on a Taurus that ripped the inner sidewall to shreds. Fortunately it was at a slow speed.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:28 AM
john1284
New User
broken coil springs

I have a 2008 ford f150 4x4 with 144,000 miles all highway use no off road I went in to get new tires and front end alignment. I was told I had a broken coil spring and they could not align the front end. when I checked underneath when I got home and found both coil springs were broken at the very same place on both sides as shown in the picture on this thread. must be a flaw in spring to be breaking in the very same place . replaced both sides with new strut & spring assembly fairly easy job.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:18 PM
egdesignsstl
New User
Strut failure.

I found a piece of the coil spring under the front of my truck, the bottom plate on the strut that holds the spring rusted enough that it snapped in my garage. When it cracked, the spring shot out to full extension and caused the spring to break. I’m astounded at the corrosion present on the spring though, deeply pitted, no paint or coating present. Looks like a galvanic electrical process was going on or something. I’ve seen a few struts/springs that are 8 years old and never had one corroded.

QUOTE=xjcamaro89;8812826]I agree it is old but I know it hasn't been broke since I got it cause I've had everything apart several time in the past year and the last time I had everything apart to the point were I would clearly notice was august when I put new shocks on the front. And this truck is six years old with 90000 miles. But I also agree that it could have been a manufacturing defect in that it was a weak spring from day 1 and it just took this long for it give. That's my only conclusion because I don't off road or drive like a manic on rough roads. But also when I was in that wreck the car that rearended me pushed me with my brakes locked up into the truck in front of me. So the body shop did an alignment. And they didn't see it but if they didn't really look they probably wouldn't hae noticed either just like me.

I don't care at this point what caused it. I'm just glad it didn't fall apart and cause an accident. It was an easy fix that right now seemed to fix a lot of my problems[/QUOTE]

Old 02-02-2019, 04:42 AM
redfishtd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 167 Likes on 145 Posts
For any steering issues after I checked ball-j,bearings, tie ends

I would have went to changing to quick struts ,which I did . Those truck springs are a bear to compress . The loaner tools seems to be undersized for those big coils . I still used them to disarm the old ones as I didn't want to leave a trap for someone else . They just barely worked , now I have two extra coils .

Quick Reply: Snapped Front Coil Spring