6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

04 6.0 Misfire/Chugging?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 08:58 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvis40

I pulled the ficm and found this on the middle connector. the closest small plastic tab on the left side is broken and obviously allowing the connector to split. This middle connector controls 2,3,5 and 8 injectors. My last scan told me that injectors 5 and 8 are bad. Npccpartsman, is this my likely problem?

Background: random rough running w/ p0284 and sometimes p0282 codes. #8 injector replaced and problems persist. FICM voltage, hpo, icp voltage are all good.
I had some recent experience with that accursed connector. It has to be pretty dang tight to make good connection. The connectors are available separately vs. replacing the whole harness. If you replaced the injector and still have the same problem I'd say that's your issue. I bet you can get it from Ed@Ficmrepair.com.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:05 AM
gt4660
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The recent experience he is referring to was on my truck. We replaced the harness and it fixed my problem. The harness is about 240 dollars. A temporary fix is to remove the ficm and zip tie a piece of rubber hose underneath the connector and bolt the ficm back down. That will apply pressure to the connection but it is only a temp fix.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Elvis40
Senior User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I had some recent experience with that accursed connector. It has to be pretty dang tight to make good connection. The connectors are available separately vs. replacing the whole harness. If you replaced the injector and still have the same problem I'd say that's your issue. I bet you can get it from Ed@Ficmrepair.com.
Thanks, that what i was leaning towards as well but i hate throwing money at it and not fixing the problem. The rear connector has a busted clip so it sits loose in the FICM, probably should replace the whole harness.

Also, all of this started not long after my alternator went out on my way to work. The truck never completely died but the voltage did drop enough to where i couldn't restart the truck. Batteries are newer though. Is it possible that i fried something in the Ficm and it's only affecting 1 cylinder?

Old 03-23-2014, 02:50 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We can get you a replacement harness, just the plug, or the plug with 6" of wire already connected (not a great time re-soldering wire by wire, but better for some than taking apart the plug and hoping to get all the wires back in the right spot).

Drop me a PM or email (ed@ficmrepair.com) if we can help.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:30 PM
Elvis40
Senior User
From my latest research the p0284 is more of a mechanical code than an electrical code. The p0284 is the most common code and always comes on right when the truck starts running bad, but the p0282 will come on after the trucks ran rough for a while.

Am i right in questioning the electrical system when its primarily a mechanical code? or could the electrical problem cause both codes? I'm right on the fence with purchasing the new harness, but i need to convince myself its the problem and not something else.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:48 PM
Elvis40
Senior User
From my latest research the p0284 is more of a mechanical code than an electrical code. The p0284 is the most common code and always comes on right when the truck starts running bad, but the p0282 will come on after the trucks ran rough for a while.

Am i right in questioning the electrical system when its primarily a mechanical code? or could the electrical problem cause both codes? I'm right on the fence with purchasing the new harness, but i need to convince myself its the problem and not something else.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I found this on another thread, The truck is finally fixed. It turned out to be the dual mass flywheel was causing the miss believe it or not. I replaced it with a solid flywheel and there is no miss at all it runs great now

I'm not to sure how all that works but I was told that it was causing a vibration on the crank shaft and causing the crank sensor to send wrong signal to the pcm and making the truck miss and cause contribution codes.

This got me thinking about my truck. Soon after my problems, my clutch let out an outrageous squealing sound that lasted for a few minutes and would not relent no matter what i did. Then magically i shifted it into 4x4 and it disappeared and has not come back, i have yet to diagnose that random problem. Could this be related and is this a potential reason why my problem is so erratic?

Heres the thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...estions-2.html

Old 03-25-2014, 07:01 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I found this on another thread, The truck is finally fixed. It turned out to be the dual mass flywheel was causing the miss believe it or not. I replaced it with a solid flywheel and there is no miss at all it runs great now

I'm not to sure how all that works but I was told that it was causing a vibration on the crank shaft and causing the crank sensor to send wrong signal to the pcm and making the truck miss and cause contribution codes.

This got me thinking about my truck. Soon after my problems, my clutch let out an outrageous squealing sound that lasted for a few minutes and would not relent no matter what i did. Then magically i shifted it into 4x4 and it disappeared and has not come back, i have yet to diagnose that random problem. Could this be related and is this a potential reason why my problem is so erratic?

Heres the thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...estions-2.html
Rather than throw new parts at it, would you want us to just check out the FICM for you? $50 is the diag fee 9well, with $15 for return shipping, I suppose it's $65), but it goes towards any repair needed and then you can positively check it off the list. I seriously doubt your issue has anything whatsoever to do with the flywheel.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:11 AM
Elvis40
Senior User
Update from last winter: After replacing the#8 injector and the injector harness the truck starting running good again, it still has that weird idle stumble when its cold and throws an p0284 or p0278 when it does it. It's only when it idles and only when its cold, if i fire it up and take off right away it wont do it.

In June i threw a couple p0341 so i replaced the cam sensor and got my injector contribution balance test and everything looked great, still had that weird cold idle though. I've put 5k miles on it no problem until last week when it got cold again, 12 degrees.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:27 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com
We can get you a replacement harness, just the plug, or the plug with 6" of wire already connected (not a great time re-soldering wire by wire, but better for some than taking apart the plug and hoping to get all the wires back in the right spot).

Drop me a PM or email (ed@ficmrepair.com) if we can help.
Cool! I didn't know all those options were available. Sound like you're stocking a bunch of stuff we could use, when are you gonna get the dangnabit website up? Being able to root around(virtually @ficm.com) through what's available would be a big help. Sometime we don't know we need stuff until we see it LOL.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Elvis40
Senior User
truck stumbled then stalled

On my morning drive to work, about 10 minutes into my 1 hour drive, 12 deg outside, i start noticing a stumble after every shift right when i let the clutch out. Does this about 5 times and then stalls at a light, wont restart for about 2 minutes. magically, it fires right up and i drive home no issues. It has since started 10+ times from a dead cold no problem and the problem has never came back.

Pulled these codes. i've been getting these for years and where already on there from before
P0278
p0284 (injector has 5k on it)
p0403
p0405

p0341(i'm assuming this was from the stall)

These are new
p0407
p0488
p2286

KOEO test shows, ficm 47.5v, Icp .24v, IPR 14.8% and hpo psi 13, every time no matter hot or cold.

The only thing i'm noticing is a weird hot idle studder periodically, my hpo psi will drop down to 575, my icp volts will go to .74 and my IPR % will drop to 16.7. but even with this i cannot reproduce the stumble or the stall.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-23-2014, 09:39 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On my morning drive to work, about 10 minutes into my 1 hour drive, 12 deg outside, i start noticing a stumble after every shift right when i let the clutch out. Does this about 5 times and then stalls at a light, wont restart for about 2 minutes. magically, it fires right up and i drive home no issues. It has since started 10+ times from a dead cold no problem and the problem has never came back.

Pulled these codes. i've been getting these for years and where already on there from before
P0278
p0403
p0405

These are new
p0407
p0488
p2286

KOEO test shows, ficm 47.5v, Icp .24v, IPR 14.8% and hpo psi 13, every time no matter hot or cold.

The only thing i'm noticing is a weird hot idle studder periodically, my hpo psi will drop down to 575, my icp volts will go to .74 and my IPR % will drop to 16.7. but even with this i cannot reproduce the stumble or the stall.

Any thoughts?
What does the IPR% read at hot idle (185* EOT) ?

Old 11-23-2014, 09:54 AM
Elvis40
Senior User
Originally Posted by mustang_309
What does the IPR% read at hot idle (185* EOT) ?
Usually 20 to 24, unless it's stumbling which isn't that often. Is it possible it's sticking open and not building enough pressure?

Old 11-23-2014, 10:18 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

P0278
p0403
p0405

These are new
p0407
p0488
p2286

Any thoughts?
Being an 04, do you still have the throttle plate inside the elbow?

Old 11-23-2014, 11:08 AM
Elvis40
Senior User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Being an 04, do you still have the throttle plate inside the elbow?
i would assume so, why does that matter? it's a late build 04 if that helps.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:38 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

i would assume so, why does that matter? it's a late build 04 if that helps.
With the P0488 code and EGR codes that could be some of your problem, especially if the plate is sticking shut. Removing the throttle plate is easy (4 bolts 2 screws) and eliminates that potential problem.

Quick Reply: 04 6.0 Misfire/Chugging?