Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Who needs a speedometer anyway

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 03:33 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who needs a speedometer anyway

Speedo done gone dead on me. It was reading a little off. Then I got a speeding ticket and apparently it was reading 13mph off. Then it was WAY wavy. Then it went dead. Zip, zang, nada, nothing.

Pulled the nylon speedo gear out, 18 tooth yeller color. The gear teeth had a valley shape to them, so i went to buy a new one. What? Ford doesn't make them anymore! Cool. So I went to the junk yard. Pulled about 20 of them before I finally found an 18 tooth. Threw it in there. No difference.

Chucked my drill onto transfer case end of the speedo cable and HEY! It's working great!

So I guess it's the drive gear inside the transfer case. Thought you guys said these transfer cases were bullet proof.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:46 PM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Got a GPS? If you do it's more accurate than any speedo.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:19 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
You can get new gears. Google brother!! The chain and gears are bomb proof but the crap *** plastic gears are not! It is real easy to replace them, I can walk you through it no prob!

Old 04-20-2010, 12:05 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stick you finger in the hole and see if the drive gear has the same concave shape, if it does ... replace them both as a set.

Take your tire size, rear gear ratio, transmission info to Ford and they'll set you right up with a matched set.

And not as costly as one would think!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 04-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ford may not make the gears, but I have gotten some from transmission parts wharehouses before. I have a steel drive gear in my mustang, ford put me through enough hell trying to find the right plastic gear that they splurged and got me the steel one.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Originally Posted by wreckinball
You can get new gears. Google brother!! The chain and gears are bomb proof but the crap *** plastic gears are not! It is real easy to replace them, I can walk you through it no prob!
The BW chain TC's are not bomb proof!
However they are pretty decent for typical use.

Wreckinball, Have you replaced a drive gear in a BW TC???

-Enjoy

Old 04-20-2010, 03:04 AM
RCrawler
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
About 1/2 way down the page is the Ford gear section.

Speedometer Gear, Speedometer Gears, Ford, GM, Dodge 700R4

Not sure, but I believe the transfer case drive gear will come out after you remove the yoke and output seal.

Jason

Old 04-20-2010, 09:09 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by RCrawler
Not sure, but I believe the transfer case drive gear will come out after you remove the yoke and output seal.

Jason
Nope, have to take the output housing off to get to it. Its held in place by a ball bearing on one end, and a metal clip on the other. I just tore open a transfer case (actually two..) and its pretty easy. Actually, you could swap the gear while its still installed, just drop the driveshaft, pull off the housing, swap the gear, clean everything up nice and put it back together.

Heres a nice thread showing a full tear down where you can see what I mean:
transfer case teardown

Old 04-20-2010, 09:20 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Festus Hagen
The BW chain TC's are not bomb proof!
However they are pretty decent for typical use.

Wreckinball, Have you replaced a drive gear in a BW TC???

-Enjoy
Yeah its crazy, I know! - Transfer Case

That is the photo album of my tear down to figure out why my transfer case wouldnt stay in gear. Damn shift fork ate the big one. Any questions with the BW 1356, let me know, ive done it all! Took it down to scraps and built a new one from a donor and mine. I have the other one all ready to go, just started ordering it piece by piece and now it is completely new. Aside from the housings, which my dad is coating as we speak. Black chrome! Should be sweet!

EDIT... the TC's are solid as a rock, it is poor maintenance that kills them. Mine died because of a leak that i didnt pay attention to and when i pulled it apart, it was nearly dry, bad on me but when they are cared for properly, they will outlast a transmission and engine combo any day. Well that is unless you are doing sled pulls and craziness. Wish they had a gear mod you could install, kind of like the timing gear to swap the timing chain. Either way ***** happens, do the best you can.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:28 AM
RCrawler
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tecgod13
Nope, have to take the output housing off to get to it. Its held in place by a ball bearing on one end, and a metal clip on the other. I just tore open a transfer case (actually two..) and its pretty easy. Actually, you could swap the gear while its still installed, just drop the driveshaft, pull off the housing, swap the gear, clean everything up nice and put it back together.
Depends on whether he has a 45 or 56. I think his truck is an 86, which should have a 13-45. The 56 has a separate extension housing and the breakdown of a 13-45 that I have shows it integral to the rear half of the TC.

Jason

Old 04-20-2010, 09:44 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
lemon, post up what you have i cant remember!

Old 04-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Nope, I have not read the posted threads yet, I will ASAP!

The exploded view I looked at (at Ford) on the 13-45, shows a bearing on the inside of the drive gear and the yoke on the outside, thus pulling the yoke and the seal should allow the removal of the drive gear ... Is this incorrect????

I also know that the drive gear OD is smaller then the OD of the seal and it appears you can just pull the yoke, the seal, the drive gear, re-install new drive gear, new seal, yoke. Am I wrong on this assumption???

-Enjoy

Old 04-20-2010, 05:32 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
You guys may have just made my day. I was hoping that one of you would come forward and say "Hey! This is REALLY easy!"

My pickup is an '86 f-250 6.9/T-19 4x4

-Matt

Old 04-20-2010, 05:55 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
I am guessing that you have a bw1345 but after my truck I don't assume. Can you clarify the transfer case. If you need help with it just click on my link that I posted earlier.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:00 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
019 72 1345-28 1180507 E8TA JA</pre>

Quick Reply: Who needs a speedometer anyway