need a point for power for strob install

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 11:46 AM
No-Tyme
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need a point for power for strob install

I am installing a set of 4 strobes ans maybe in the future an overhead. But for now I want to run the 4 strobes (LED Code 3) that pull .6 amps each and I am looking for a point of orgin for power. I have look over the fuse box and don't see anything that I can tap into.

I haven't even started looking for a point to run the wires out of the cab, but I am making all the connections just below the driver seat.

Anyone have any ideas???

Old 07-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
You can buy fuse taps at the store to tap into the fuse box. They slip under the fuses you already have. If you are worried about overloading the fuse in the fuse box, you can put the tap on the incoming side of the fuse and then use a external inline fuse to protect the new wire. Just pick a fuse source that works the way you want, ie current with the key in run only or current all the time from the battery.

If you run any thing with a larger load, you can think about running a relay for more power, but those loads you are talking about should be alright directly out of the factory fuse box.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:58 PM
okgearhead
Junior User
If you have a tow package, there is a brake controller hook-up under your dash with a 12 volt source. Thats where I hooked-up my volt gauge.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:27 AM
No-Tyme
Senior User
follow up

The fuse taps worked out great!