6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Rail Car Tracking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 02:14 PM
sjprice
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rail Car Tracking?

I seem to remember that there is a site where you can track the progress of a rail car if you know the rail car number. Does anyone know how to do this?

Old 04-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Cerb
Junior User
Did you get a rail card number for your new truck?

Old 04-15-2010, 02:26 PM
sjprice
Senior User
Yes, it moved from storage to shipped status and is supposedly on a railcar as of 13th.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:39 PM
shelbymustang
Junior User
Hey guys,

UPDATE:

I no longer need requests for specific VIN #'s because I am manually checking every possible VIN number (from #1 to the highest one I can find shipped) every day. I can assure you (and so can my fingers), I check every VIN, every day.

Some of you have asked what the different rail codes mean so here is a rough list:

Departure - Railcar has departed the city listed enroute to next big city along the way.
Arrive In Transit - railcar has arrived city listed
Junction Recieved - railcar has arrived at a junction to be handed off to the next railroad to haul it
Hold or Delayed - self explanatory, could be many reasons. This is usually less than 24 hours
Release from Customer -railcar was released from customer (could be GM or the receiver at the other end)
Placed Actual - railcar is actually placed at the location it will be unloaded
Bad order - railcar has a mechanical problem and needs repaired (usually less than 48 hour delay)
Bad Order Release - railcar has been repaired and is ready to move again
Arrive Destination - railcar has arrived at its current destination
Pulled from customer - railcar was pulled from the customer's location (GM or receiver)
Placed Construct - railcar has arrived its final desination but there is not room to unload it yet (will move to placed actual when the room is available)
Storage - railcar has been emptied and is now being moved to storage

I am trying to work on a way to track the railcar shipments by VIN number. I work in the rail industry and have access to some tracing applications that may work. I am not sure it’s possible but I need some information to test it out. Does anyone have VIN numbers that they know for sure are in transit by railcar? You can PM me or post them here.

Thanks!

Link for Rail Shipped VIN's Spreadsheet

http://camaro.spasticsquirrel.com/Rail_Shipped_VINs.xls

Last edited by KK2010SS; 05-03-2009 at 01:14 PM.

not sure if thies will help you but worth a try

Old 04-15-2010, 02:52 PM
shelbymustang
Junior User
my 2 cents

Old 04-15-2010, 02:53 PM
shelbymustang
Junior User
maybe this will help you out on tracking in the rail yard

Railyard dist. center info; Please read!
When the cars finally start moving, most of them will move by rail. They will be transported to a railroad distribution center, where they will be offloaded and parked, and then be parked, awaiting over-the-road hauling.
These rail distribution centers are all over Canada and the U.S.
I've compiled the web addresses of the railroads and their distribution centers:

CSX Transportation (formerly Conrail):
http://www.csx.com/?fuseaction=customers.tdsi_gis

CPR (Canadian Pacific Railroad):
http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/English/Custo...ve/default.htm

UP (Union Pacific):
UP: Automotive Facilities

NS (Norfolk & Southern):
http://www.nscorp.com/nscportal/nsco...ve/Facilities/

BNSF Railway:
BNSF Prospective Customer - Consumer Products - Automotive

CNR (Canadian National Railway):
http://www.cn.ca/en/shipping-map-wor...e-autoport.htm

KCS (Kansas City Southern Railway):
http://www.kcsouthern.com/SiteCollec...system_map.pdf

A&S (Alton & Southern; switching railroad company in St. Louis)
Alton & Southern

When your car is finally loaded onto a train car (called AutoRack), a railcar number will be assigned. Your dealer can call the Dealer Business Center and get the actual railroad company and the railcar number. The DBC can also provide the railyard that will receive your car. Once you have those pieces of info, you will be able to track your car as it moves thru the country.
All of the railroads listed have a tracking system in place. An online one for customers and a phone-in one for everybody else. The phone numbers are in the links I provided. You can call them up, give them your railcar number, and they can tell you where your car is and what the ETA is.
Once the vehicle reaches the railyard, it will be unloaded and "bayed", awaiting over-the-road transport. The phone numbers to the distribution centers are in those links as well.
AND, the over-the-road haulers that serve the particular distribution center you're looking at are listed as well. You can take the name of the hauler listed, Google them, and come up with a phone number if you desire.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Cerb
Junior User
Thanks for all the info!

Old 04-15-2010, 04:06 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Great info.
I'll put this to use if I ever actually get a VIN.
On my 43rd day.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:36 PM
asphaltman
Senior User
Thanks for the info !!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:09 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Shelby,

That's awesome. Shipping confirmation for every built super duty. So as of yesterday there were 2181 trucks built to date? That's still a very small number. Once they are up to full production, they are supposed to build 3000 per day, aren't they?

Old 04-16-2010, 12:06 PM
sjprice
Senior User
So today, my truck made it out of Kentucky and into Ohio. It will be switching from a north bound train to a west bound train sometime Saturday and will be in Chicago late Sunday night. Then I just have to wait for them to unload it and get it to my dealer in the south suburbs of Chicago. The dispatcher at NSRR was very pleasant and wanted to hear the details of my new truck. Seems like a long way around to get from Louisville, KY to the suburbs south of Chicago.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:04 PM
HBW
New User
Originally Posted by sjprice
So today, my truck made it out of Kentucky and into Ohio. It will be switching from a north bound train to a west bound train sometime Saturday and will be in Chicago late Sunday night. Then I just have to wait for them to unload it and get it to my dealer in the south suburbs of Chicago. The dispatcher at NSRR was very pleasant and wanted to hear the details of my new truck. Seems like a long way around to get from Louisville, KY to the suburbs south of Chicago.

Dont get too excited. Mine was in Chicago on 4/7 with an eta to my dealer of 4/10 - 80 miles away. Today, 4/16 my dealer says my truck is on a railcar, no idea where or any eta listed. Also told me, I should be happy that it is on a railcar and not in "hold". Last week I was told, "I should be happy that Ford is taken their time and building it "right".

Old 04-16-2010, 03:08 PM
sjprice
Senior User
I am over "getting excited". This truck was ordered the first week of January, was built on Feb 23rd and until this past Tuesday was sitting on ramp K1 at the KTP

Old 04-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Cerb
Junior User
Been a rough day at work so I figured I would call and get an update on my truck to have a good laugh just to hear its on Ramp 1K still. The nice lady said the latest update on my truck was "To Storage", she was not sure what that means, but the ETA was changed from 4/5 to 4/12. Anyone know what “To Storage” update means? Did it ship already and is just waiting to be deceived to my dealer? I did not see my VIN listed in Shelby’s spreadsheet, could it mean that it went from Ramp 1K back into storage?

Old 04-16-2010, 06:28 PM
sjprice
Senior User
Earlier this week they told me the same thing and I got upset with them. They transferred me to the Customer Care Center and further research showed that the real update was it was on a rail car and they gave me the rail car number.

Quick Reply: Rail Car Tracking?