Sponsored by: DP Tuner

fuel pressure problem, need help !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Thomasy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel pressure problem, need help !!

I have a 1999 F-350 7.3 diesel with a 6 speed manual transmission. The truck has 116,000 miles. Recently, I drove the truck and it ran fine for about 60 miles and then acted as though it was starving for fuel. If I kicked the turbo in, it would just start to slow down until I would pull-over to the side of the road and let it idle for a minute and then it would run OK as long as I did not kick in the turbo. I changed the fuel filter and it seemed to correct the problem, however after driving the truck for about 20 miles, it did the same thing. I have replaced the fuel pump twice and compared the fuel flow into the fuel bowl with that of a 2001 F250 7.3 that a friend has and mine is quite a bit less. I pulled the bed off and checked the gas tank canister and all looked OK. I put it all back together and the truck ran great for about 20 miles, I had the cruise control on and it just started slowing down and acting like it was not getting enough gas. I pulled over and let it idle and was able to drive home as long as I did not give it too much pedal. The next day it ran fine, however I did not drive it 20 miles nor did I get into the turbo. There seems to be a problem getting fuel to the fuel bowl, but only after it is driven several miles and the problem temporarily goes away after the truck sits. I was going to take it to the dealer as I have run out of ideas, but after reading some of the comments, I thought I would try this forum. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have bee fighting this problem for about 4 months.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:02 AM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Is there something floating around in the fuel tank that finds it's way to the pickup screen clogging it? Did you do the intank mods? Is it possible that someone may have vandalized your truck by putting something in the tank? How about your fuel pressure regulator.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:09 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, you came to the right place, welcome to FTE. Here's a bump for the possible fuel problem experts..

Old 04-12-2010, 06:02 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Did you take apart the white plastic thing on the fuel pick up inside the tank? There are 2 cylinder shaped screens inside there. My guess is those 2 screens are clogged up. Did you check these screens?

Old 04-12-2010, 07:21 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Can you here the pump priming when you turn the ignition on. ?

Old 04-12-2010, 07:40 AM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take the fuel pressure regulator apart and check the poppet inside. Sounds like the o-ring on the poppet is faulty. The FPR kit at ford has everything U need except the vibralock sleeve. Order that from guzzle on this site.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Bob Taulbee
Duct Tape Tech.
What is the fuel level when this happens? If It is low the fuel pick up could be sucking in air. Try keeping the tank level above 1/4 tank ( 1/2 would be better ) to see if the problem goes away. If this corrects the problem, you will need to do the in tank mod as suggested above.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Thomasy
New User
Thanks for the quick response. I have not done any tank modifications. Is the fuel pressure regulator after the fuel filter housing? We checked the fuel flow into the fuel filter housing. When we pulled the canister out of the tank (to check for fuel or air leaks) we did not notice anything in the fuel and we cleaned the screen on the bottom of the fuel intake line. We did not take the canister apart, but wondered what was inside. I will take the bed back off and pull the canister apart and check the screens. Will I run into any problems taking the canister apart? We have always thought the problem was somewhere between the fuel pump and fuel. This problem has occured when the tank was full or at any level.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:49 AM
gradyc
wellhead
While you are in the fuel tank go ahead and do the in tank mods. Be sure to install an in line filter between the tank and fuel pump. NAPA has them and should be rated for suction. Good luck on your fix.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Thomasy
New User
Do we just clean the screens or replace them?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
What are the tank mods?<o></o>
<o></o>
Where, specifically, between the tank and the fuel pump is the filter to be installed and do you know what the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">Napa</st1lace></st1:City> part number is?<o></o>
<o> </o>
Thanks again for all the help. I just want to be sure I fully understand and I do the work correctly. <o></o>

Old 04-12-2010, 12:24 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Old 04-12-2010, 01:14 PM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Thomasy
Is the fuel pressure regulator after the fuel filter housing? We checked the fuel flow into the fuel filter housing.
The FPR is inside of the housing where the hard line connects to the top of the drivers side of the fuel bowl. -- Careful when removing the hard line as the factory housing is VERY fragile -- There is a spring and brass plunger inside and the regulator seat seals this brass part against the fuel bowl.

The FPR on a stock fuel system is one of the most under-rated and most overlooked items in the fuel system.

If the heart of the fuel system is the pump, then the FPR is its soul.

Any damage or cracking of this seat will not show up during startup, flow test or idle. It will majorly effect your fuel pressure once you get moving.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Thomasy
New User
I believe that the in fuel line is on the bottom of my fuel filter housing and the return line is on the top. If I remove the return fuel line from my fuel filter housing will that expose the fuel pressure regulator or is it removed from inside the fuel filter housing?

Old 04-12-2010, 02:10 PM
highmilesclub
New User
I expierienced the same symptoms you are describing less than a week ago. I cleaned the screens and tank out just as f350-6's great picture shows and that solved my problem. FYI the fuel pressure on the lift pump should be between 30-80 psi, seems like a pretty broad range to me! but that is what I was told.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomasy
Thanks for the quick response. I have not done any tank modifications. Is the fuel pressure regulator after the fuel filter housing? We checked the fuel flow into the fuel filter housing. When we pulled the canister out of the tank (to check for fuel or air leaks) we did not notice anything in the fuel and we cleaned the screen on the bottom of the fuel intake line. We did not take the canister apart, but wondered what was inside. I will take the bed back off and pull the canister apart and check the screens. Will I run into any problems taking the canister apart? We have always thought the problem was somewhere between the fuel pump and fuel. This problem has occured when the tank was full or at any level.
Doing the above in bold will fix your power loss issue.
You need to clean the junk from the screens.

Quick Reply: fuel pressure problem, need help !!