1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Drove my '49 F1 For the first time

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Links_vette
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove my '49 F1 For the first time

I must say that I've been very lucky with the truck I bought a year and a half ago as I've not run into many of the issues I've seen posted. Well, last night I buttoned up the last wire under the hood (still need a wire to the fuel sending unit) and re-installed the hood; started her up, put a milk crate where the seat should be and backed her out of the garage... and slammed on the brakes.

Appearently I did a fair to good job on the brake rebuild as I smacked my head on the rear glass when they hooked up. Anyway, I thought I would share.

BTW, my local NAPA says they've never heard of a "Volt-a-drop" that Julie suggested I put in line for the wiper motor. Anyone know the part number and manufacturer?

Old 04-07-2010, 03:14 PM
epp
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
grats on getting to take your first ride

Old 04-07-2010, 03:32 PM
malatious
Junior User
That's great!!! I throw a five gallon bucket in mine just to sit in it, I guess I'll have to get the motor and tranny in, oh, and the brakes, and the glass, and the steering wheel, and the ..........

Mal

Old 04-07-2010, 04:07 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't it make you day, wipe that smile off your face too!

Old 04-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Links_vette
Senior User
found the Volt-a-drop info... "C&G" part number B-10606

and thanks for the well wishes, If the weather is good this weekend, i might actually try and go AROUND the block! I feel like a child with a new bike.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:53 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 344 Likes on 260 Posts
Nothing like that first drive!

You want a voltage regulator (not for ignition, but for gauges) not just a resistor. Napa would understand that. Every Ford into the 70's had one under dash for their gauges as gauges were still 6V.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:49 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Congratulations! However, jsut get a foldable chair like in "homade's" COE. It should be much more comfortable.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:04 PM
HD74
Elder User
The milk crate first drive, sure makes things interesting. I know I did a similar damn thing last week. For me no more crate rides. LOL.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:17 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 614 Likes on 381 Posts
Congrats on the first drive! Careful with driving on a mikcrate, tho!

NAPA has both the resistor type and the CVR (Constant Voltage Regulator) for instruments.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Res...word&Nty=1&N=0

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Res...word&Nty=1&N=0

Old 04-07-2010, 11:51 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congratulations! I wish mine were that far along. I just got my frame primered.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:56 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Links_vette
I must say that I've been very lucky with the truck I bought a year and a half ago as I've not run into many of the issues I've seen posted. Well, last night I buttoned up the last wire under the hood (still need a wire to the fuel sending unit) and re-installed the hood; started her up, put a milk crate where the seat should be and backed her out of the garage... and slammed on the brakes.

Appearently I did a fair to good job on the brake rebuild as I smacked my head on the rear glass when they hooked up. Anyway, I thought I would share.

BTW, my local NAPA says they've never heard of a "Volt-a-drop" that Julie suggested I put in line for the wiper motor. Anyone know the part number and manufacturer?
Congrates on the first ride!

The Vol-ta-drops were available at NAPA years ago, and at Dennis Carpenter and C&G up until about 6 months ago. I inquired the last time I was in there and apparently the company that used to make them no longer does. So, unless you find one on a shelf someplace that doesn't move their parts very fast, I'd have to say they are no longer available.

And it doesn't suprise me he didn't know about it. I tuned up my truck this weekend and went to AutoZone for some oil, coolant and spark plugs. I run a hotter than stock spark plug in my 390 and forgot the number.

I told the clerk helping me to look for plugs for a 73 F-100 with a 390 (that's what the computer says) and asked him to get me the next hottest set of plugs. He, his fellow clerks and even the store manager were clueless about what might be a hotter range of spark plug.

They can navigate the computer, but when it comes to knowing cars and trucks, mechanics or even parts, they have no idea.

We are a dying breed!

Old 04-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Doraville
Senior User
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
... So, unless you find one on a shelf someplace that doesn't move their parts very fast, I'd have to say they are no longer available. ...
Here's a good article over at The HAMB that shows how to build one yourself for $3.

-DV

Old 04-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Links_vette
Senior User
So.... what would you guys suggest i put in line to the wiper motor in order to cut the 12v power down to 6V? I dont want to burn up the old motor!

Old 04-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Doraville
Senior User
Originally Posted by Links_vette
So.... what would you guys suggest i put in line to the wiper motor in order to cut the 12v power down to 6V? I dont want to burn up the old motor!
Are you sure that your wiper motor is electric? I believe that the original wiper motors were vacuum operated. If someone replaced it with an electric motor, it would seem that they would have made it 12V.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Links_vette
Senior User
LOL... that might explain why I haven't found the wires running to it and Julie's diagram doesn't show the wiper motor...

Quick Reply: Drove my '49 F1 For the first time