Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No starting, and engine and battery lights are on...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:04 PM
primergrey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No starting, and engine and battery lights are on...

Hi,

I have a '96 F-150 with a 4.9L six-cylinder engine.

After being always reliable and starting up whenever it had to, the truck refused to out of a sudden last weekend. The engine turned, but it just wouldn't come to life.

I suspected moisture first, but the truck hadn't been driven, just parked in the rain overnight. I started to think that maybe the ignition key cylinder could be the problem, since it had been wiggly and binding for a while and perhaps could have ultimately died. I thought to have gotten confirmation for that when, after using my less worn spare key, the key just seemed to turn empty, no longer causing the engine to at least turn. That was also when I noticed the check engine light come on.

So, I disconnected the negative on the battery and got a new ignition key/lock cylinder. Installation was easy, since there was just a retaining pin that held the old one in place. After the new one was put in and not binding anymore, I was hopeful that the problem was solved.

After reconnecting the battery and getting back into the cab, I noticed that both the engine and battery lights were on, even without the key in the ignition. And, no starting, no engine turning.

I'm a bit puzzled what the sudden problem could be.
Btw, I put in a new starter, battery and starter relay back in September.

Anybody got any idea?

Thanks in advance for any response...