Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

How to bypass safety on NAV & DVD ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:45 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am with stephen. Don't distract yourself of someone else and drive next to me. It's stupid. Nothing personal. Same goes for talking on the cell phone, reading a book while driving, etc.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:58 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
First off, I agree 100% with not messing with the nav system while you're driving.

However, what's the harm in the passenger being able to mess with it while the vehicle's moving?

Old 03-14-2010, 01:05 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
And how you can guarantee that?

Old 03-14-2010, 07:17 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Guarantee what? That the driver won't mess with it? You can't. You can't gaurantee anything.

I'm just saying, I can definitely see where it would be handy for the passenger to be able to mess with it while the vehicle's moving.

And that was my question, what's the harm in that?

Old 03-14-2010, 07:30 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 1975StroppeBaja
Guarantee what? That the driver won't mess with it? You can't. You can't gaurantee anything.
Do I really have to explain the problem to you?

I recently read the NHTSA'a report that 80% of crashes are caused by distracted/inattentive driving.

Since people can't be trusted to drive safely, why should they be given ANY opportunity to endanger my life or the lives of my family and friends?

If they would only kill themselves or their family and friends, I wouldn't care (hell, I'd nominate them for a Darwin Award).

Old 03-14-2010, 08:41 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Originally Posted by shotgunz
uh.. no. As I said in my first post:
Originally Posted by 1975StroppeBaja
First off, I agree 100% with not messing with the nav system while you're driving.

I get what you're saying but I can definitely understand the desire to defeat the lockout.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:03 PM
ajaj
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let Him Have it!

Let him have it Steve.........I got your back!

Old 04-08-2010, 01:40 AM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
I think is ridiculous to have to stop your vehicle to query the navigation feature. It's no different than using a Thomas Guide, road map or atlas to navigate with. You either pull over and look for yourself, or stay on the road and have your front seat passenger act as navigator. I'm glad I have a Garmin instead, and can make that choice.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:04 AM
madcowranch
New User
Originally Posted by stephen.osborne1
I was having a great day until some idiot started talking about endangering others on the road by wanting to use thier navigation system which is locked out during driving for a very good reason by the manufacturer. So by all means, don't reply to any of my posts as I deal with ignorant, stupid and dangerous people all day over here in Iraq. I don't need or want to deal with another one now.

This is for all the halfway intelligent people who will read this... If you use your nav while driving or text while driving you are a moron and should be arrested for attempted manslaughter. If you were considering "unlocking" your sytem, I would hope you think about the people on the road that you WILL put at risk and reconsider.
Originally Posted by shotgunz

I recently read the NHTSA'a report that 80% of crashes are caused by distracted/inattentive driving.

Since people can't be trusted to drive safely, why should they be given ANY opportunity to endanger my life or the lives of my family and friends?

If they would only kill themselves or their family and friends, I wouldn't care (hell, I'd nominate them for a Darwin Award).
I'm surprised you or your family ever go out on public roads "since people can't be trusted to drive safely".

Look people, along with the right to operate an automobile in the US comes a lot of responsibility. The government can't be expected to think for you by listing all of the 'nots' to do while driving. Just PAY ATTENTION. It's that simple.

Why don't we ban cell phones, radios, talking, cleavage, great-looking cars, reading materials, sneezing, any movement by passengers, eating or drinking, billboards? They can all be distractions while we're driving. It's because we all in our big boy pants now and can think for ourselves. How bout locking down the climate control while the vehicle is in motion so the driver isn't fiddling with that? It's a slippery slope.

I simply want my passenger to be able to operate the nav while I'm driving. Don't start calling people axe murderers, etc because they don't need a law to tell them how to act responsibly.

We live in a free country... let's keep it that way!

Old 04-08-2010, 11:18 AM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by madcowranch
I'm surprised you or your family ever go out on public roads "since people can't be trusted to drive safely".

Look people, along with the right to operate an automobile in the US comes a lot of responsibility. The government can't be expected to think for you by listing all of the 'nots' to do while driving. Just PAY ATTENTION. It's that simple.

Why don't we ban cell phones, radios, talking, cleavage, great-looking cars, reading materials, sneezing, any movement by passengers, eating or drinking, billboards? They can all be distractions while we're driving. It's because we all in our big boy pants now and can think for ourselves. How bout locking down the climate control while the vehicle is in motion so the driver isn't fiddling with that? It's a slippery slope.

I simply want my passenger to be able to operate the nav while I'm driving. Don't start calling people axe murderers, etc because they don't need a law to tell them how to act responsibly.
Apparently we do need laws to stop people from doing these things while driving because thousands die every day because other people think they should be allowed to think for themselves because "it won't happen to me". If the navigation in a vehicle is operable while driving, it is just one more thing to distract you, added to the others you mentioned. Too many people will be tempted to use it themselves while driving alone. Don't say that won't happen. You are a fool if you believe otherwise.
I am definately not a supporter of the "nanny state". I do, however believe that government needs to enforce laws which stop drivers from being distracted... If I can't kick the crap outta someone on the side of the road for hitting me while messing with thier stupid little toy (nav), then I want a cop to hammer them.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:36 AM
ajaj
Freshman User
Ill Go Slow and Explain This To You k?

OK.........In a world that always seems to have a Logical or should I say Illogical Progression to things.....Ill go slow!

First

The reason Ford and Other Manufactures dont allow watching DVDs or anything more than necessary is: LAWSUITS...........Lawyers would love to sue anyone for a Zillion $ if they could prove Manufactures were negligent in any way.........especially drivers not paying attention!

Second

The excuse is that its for my "Passenger" is just that an EXCUSE....We all know where that will lead up to:......Im sure a driver would Never watch the movie playing while driving across the Desert in Arizona.?

Third

Would YOU want one of your Family members injured by some TEENAGER watching a movie or worse ****.....who probably has the lowest Insurance coverage available .....so caring for your Injured Family member for the rest of His/Her life should be fully funded by the Insurance!

Fourth

Maybe your Kids could watch the hardcore **** in the Teenagers car beside you while sitting in Freeway Traffic. ....Im sure He will turn it off if you ask politely?

Fifth

Maybe the Lockpick Co. could install a PS3 or Xbox feature and have the steering wheel buttons control the joystick......what a novel Idea?

Im going to speak to that Stephen guy in Baghdad and see if he will go halfers with me on a bus pass for you as you shouldnt be on the road anyway?.....While Im waiting for His reply.......Isnt the 'Tea Party" rolling through your Town about now.........Your late for the meeting!

Old 04-08-2010, 11:45 AM
madcowranch
New User
Originally Posted by stephen.osborne1
Apparently we do need laws to stop people from doing these things while driving because thousands die every day because other people think they should be allowed to think for themselves because "it won't happen to me". If the navigation in a vehicle is operable while driving, it is just one more thing to distract you, added to the others you mentioned. Too many people will be tempted to use it themselves while driving alone. Don't say that won't happen. You are a fool if you believe otherwise.
I am definately not a supporter of the "nanny state". I do, however believe that government needs to enforce laws which stop drivers from being distracted... If I can't kick the crap outta someone on the side of the road for hitting me while messing with thier stupid little toy (nav), then I want a cop to hammer them.
So how far are you willing to go... how much freedom are you willing to give up? Should we pass a law against each of the things I mentioned above? I could go on all day with more distractions. Is that what we need... more laws? Would that stop the bloodshed on our nation's highways?

How about mandating much more driver training and education before someone can obtain a driver's license? How about making someone pass an intense screening (psych/phys) prior to getting behind the wheel? How about making the minimum driving age 25 since most of those at fault are below this age?

Old 04-08-2010, 11:53 AM
madcowranch
New User
Originally Posted by ajaj
OK.........In a world that always seems to have a Logical or should I say Illogical Progression to things.....Ill go slow!

First

The reason Ford and Other Manufactures dont allow watching DVDs or anything more than necessary is: LAWSUITS...........Lawyers would love to sue anyone for a Zillion $ if they could prove Manufactures were negligent in any way.........especially drivers not paying attention!

Second

The excuse is that its for my "Passenger" is just that an EXCUSE....We all know where that will lead up to:......Im sure a driver would Never watch the movie playing while driving across the Desert in Arizona.?

Third

Would YOU want one of your Family members injured by some TEENAGER watching a movie or worse ****.....who probably has the lowest Insurance coverage available .....so caring for your Injured Family member for the rest of His/Her life should be fully funded by the Insurance!

Fourth

Maybe your Kids could watch the hardcore **** in the Teenagers car beside you while sitting in Freeway Traffic. ....Im sure He will turn it off if you ask politely?

Fifth

Maybe the Lockpick Co. could install a PS3 or Xbox feature and have the steering wheel buttons control the joystick......what a novel Idea?

Im going to speak to that Stephen guy in Baghdad and see if he will go halfers with me on a bus pass for you as you shouldnt be on the road anyway?.....While Im waiting for His reply.......Isnt the 'Tea Party" rolling through your Town about now.........Your late for the meeting!
OMG, you ****ing liberal!

First of all my Honda Odyssey has a fully functioning nav system while driving. I guess they failed to see all those lawyers coming!

And where did this obsession with **** come from, nutjob?

This is the whole problem with our society today... people like you who don't believe in any sense of self-accountability!

Old 04-08-2010, 12:22 PM
ajaj
Freshman User
Im a Liberal...Oh Well?

Ive been called worse.....

Believe it or not ......People watch ****!

Like I said.....what if one of your Family members became a "vegatable" and some teenager had the lowest Insurance possible?......guess thats your problem then...........
How many times have members of this forum seen teenagers texting or doing other stupid things when driving?.......
After something serious happens......People look for ANY excuse to blame others for their stupidity......thats what our society has become...?

Lets change our flags now to include the "hammer and sickle" ?......it would fit nicely in the top left corner of your flag.....but we can get rid of the maple leaf and put it dead center on our flag....

Sorry Mods...........Ill stop myself now outta respect for this forum and other members who can positively contribute.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:32 PM
madcowranch
New User
Originally Posted by ajaj
Ive been called worse.....

Believe it or not ......People watch ****!

Like I said.....what if one of your Family members became a "vegatable" and some teenager had the lowest Insurance possible?......guess thats your problem then...........
How many times have members of this forum seen teenagers texting or doing other stupid things when driving?.......
After something serious happens......People look for ANY excuse to blame others for their stupidity......thats what our society has become...?

Lets change our flags now to include the "hammer and sickle" ?......it would fit nicely in the top left corner of your flag.....but we can get rid of the maple leaf and put it dead center on our flag...

Sorry Mods...........Ill stop myself now outta respect for this forum and other members who can positively contribute.
Is there a point to any of this nonsensical drivel? It kinda sounds like your flip-flopping. Try to make an intelligent post, and remember to go slow, k?

Quick Reply: How to bypass safety on NAV & DVD ?